Anchor ball displayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting - in the UK you have to display a black anchor ball when you are at anchor - no matter where. This is in accordance with the International Col Regs Rule 30. From what I can see there are no exclusions to this rule. Harbour Masters in the UK will fine you for not abiding by this rule, even if you are in a recognised anchorage.

I find it difficult to understand why there is resistance to this. It is common sense to have a sign to tell others you can't move and they should stay clear of you. At night do the same people not bother with an anchor light?

Its simple and easy to display the anchor ball and an anchor light. Much easier than having to deal with the hassle of someone hitting you and then having to justify to the insurance company why you weren't showing the Internationally Agreed sign. Its just good seamanship.

Interesting - in the UK you have to display a black anchor ball when you are at anchor - no matter where. This is in accordance with the International Col Regs Rule 30. From what I can see there are no exclusions to this rule. Harbour Masters in the UK will fine you for not abiding by this rule, even if you are in a recognised anchorage.

I find it difficult to understand why there is resistance to this. It is common sense to have a sign to tell others you can't move and they should stay clear of you. At night do the same people not bother with an anchor light?

Its simple and easy to display the anchor ball and an anchor light. Much easier than having to deal with the hassle of someone hitting you and then having to justify to the insurance company why you weren't showing the Internationally Agreed sign. Its just good seamanship.

In the US "special anchorages" were put in place to alleviate the need for small vessels (lees than 20m) to show an anchor ball/lignt AND proper lookout.

The COLREGS also say a lookout watch is required while at anchor which almost all small vessels ignore.

Just to be clear Colregs (https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf) have the lookout part under Section 5 which is part of the steering and sailing part. Under the anchorage part (30) there is no mention of special anchorages.

Back to my original thoughts on day signs and lights why not display them they do protect your boat and the people on it. It costs virtually nothing and increases safety. As to lookouts the proper thing when everyone in a small boat would be an anchor alarm to tell you if you are drifting and at risk of collision. If you have a smart phone free app that doesn't even use data!

Just to be clear Colregs (https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf) have the lookout part under Section 5 which is part of the steering and sailing part. Under the anchorage part (30) there is no mention of special anchorages.

Back to my original thoughts on day signs and lights why not display them they do protect your boat and the people on it. It costs virtually nothing and increases safety. As to lookouts the proper thing when everyone in a small boat would be an anchor alarm to tell you if you are drifting and at risk of collision. If you have a smart phone free app that doesn't even use data!

I am not sure that you are exempt from lookouts while at anchor just because it falls in that section.....it doesn't use the tem underway or not underway.....I was always taught and have read that meant lookouts at anchor unless in a special anchorage area ( which is not in the rules....it is a USA thing)

Just like sleeping on solo voyages, the alarm is what many use to justify not keeping a live watch, but as far as I know does not meet the COLREGs.

http://www.boatingmag.com/boatingsafety/anchored-evening-post-lookout-stay-safe

"I have a solution for you, but first let’s talk about the importance of a lookout if your fishing takes you on a trip that involves anchoring for the evening. In this situation, an anchor watch is not only a good idea, it’s required, according to the U.S. Coast Guard’s interpretation of international maritime law."

Can't find the link, but this was from an Australian government publication....

The COLREGs require all vessels to:
• maintain a proper lookout at all times
(including while at anchor);
• exhibit appropriate day shapes, night
navigational lights, and use sound
signals as required;

Last edited:
As a COLREGS stickler myself, I show one when I toss the anchor, hoist another when I start drinking, and show three when the tide goes out and I finally careen. Lucky for me I have an auto on anchor light, so I don't have to be awake when night falls.

[Completely tongue in cheek. I don't own a single day shape]

But it does make me think, does the same harbourmaster fine the boats when the estuary dries and they don't show three?

Well, it's been an interesting discussion. However, maybe it is a facet of the Downunder attitude, but we seem to be a bit more guided by what one might call the 'bleedin' obvious' rule, otherwise known as common sense, rather than slavish adherence to Colregs, which were primarily developed for larger commercial vessels and few recreational vessels were around. Not ones that anchored anyway. Fortunately, our authorities seem to feel the same way.

How many folk on here are blithely unaware, as they approach a collection of vessels, obviously at anchor, that they are in fact, not able to move..? Who actually looks to see which of those is hanging a black ball..? C'mon...own up. You immediately see they are all basically pointing the same way, and there is an anchor line out front. I have to tell you, after all the hundreds of times I have anchored out in our Moreton Bay, I don't think I've ever seen a boat with a black ball, but I've certainly seen many anchored boats.

Sure at night, different story - everyone uses an anchor light. Except, I have to say, and which I think is crazy, if the vessel is moored off a private property, even if in the edge of a recognised channel, and not against a berth, they don't have to - not yet anyway. And that is the one scenario where if I had not been very vigilant, going up-river to Sanctuary Cove, a popular marina over here, I could easily have run into an unlighted large catamaran, as I did not have radar, and of course this sort of thing does not appear on a GPS plotter. In the daytime the thing would have been clearly visible as moored and not a problem, and a hanging ball would have made no difference.

Don't get me wrong. Where the colregs are relevant to our boating, I absolutely follow them, but some of them are not so relevant, and thankfully our authorities seem to have adopted a more pragmatic approach, clearly, than in some places, as they realise they have bigger fish to fry than booking boats peacefully at anchor for not showing a black ball. In fact, even reading the colregs, rule 30 especially, but also others, there is implied in quite a few places a lower level of compliance is expected in vessels less than 20metres, even 50m in some places. Just sayin'... :flowers:

PS, for an interesting read, see here from sister forum link...
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/do-you-use-a-daytime-black-ball-at-anchor-216017-25.html

To support my comments above regarding the norm here in Queensland, anyway I quote one post from the above...

While anchored in mud Bay near Airlie Beach last year I was approached by Maritime services and asked where my anchor ball was, after telling them I didn’t have one they said they would give me two days to get one. None of the chandleries in Airlie Beach had one so I had to get a taxi to Shute harbour to get one. We put it up at every Anchorage while on our travels after that, and the only time I ever saw another one flying was on a big superyacht that anchored off from us one day. Most people I told about it couldn’t believe that I’d been chatted about it.

Last edited:
To be honest when I started this thread I thought I'd get about 8 responses, I'm very surprised at the count on this thread.

To be honest when I started this thread I thought I'd get about 8 responses, I'm very surprised at the count on this thread.

Maybe it's because a post on here is a bit like the well-known 'box of chocolates', you "never know just what you'll get..?" :D

In 50 years on the Great Lakes I only recall seeing one non commercial boat showing a ball, and it was a hundred something footer so I assume a professional, maybe international crew. I guess nobody else bothers with them. Most boats here show anchor lights though. Not always up to code but at least something.

Last edited:
Greetings,

For a sub 60' vessel, what is the necessary size please?

I think Defender sells a folding anchor ball. It is not a real "ball" but it appears to be a ball when unfolded and displayed.
While you are ordering, order a folding RADAR reflector too.

In 50 years on the Great Lakes I only recall seeing one non commercial boat showing a ball, and it was a hundred something footer so I assume a professional, maybe international crew. I guess nobody else bothers with them. Most boats here show anchor lights though. Not always up to code but at least something.

I guess that goes to show how many boaters either don't know or just ignore fairly easy to learn boating rules.

A couple of years ago on a 4th of July fireworks patrol we were asking everyone to turn on their anchor lights. One guy pulled out his cell phone and turned on the flashlight app and asked if that was good enough...

Back
Top Bottom