Old 07-30-2020, 01:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Southeast Alaska
Vessel Name: Sea Gypsy
Vessel Model: 1979 Albin Trawler 36'
Maxwell 1100 assistance in a pinch

Looking for a bit of help here. Appreciate any input.

Trying to get a windlass working for our voyage where it will certainly be depended upon. Windlass ia a Maxwell 1100 - can't find much on them so I assume it's older than it looks. It's a single direction - up only. The solenoid is believed to have failed (as it turns over fine when the solenoid was bypassed for a test) but the Fisheries Supply crew here in Seattle aren't sure which one to give me and have limited stock.

The "failed" solenoid is nothing that I've be able to track down (might be an old automotive? It's clearly older than it looks (very few markings) but it looks similar to the kind on my engines than anything maxwell sells so it probably was never the correct type). Long story longer:

The solenoid they have in stock for Maxwell windlasses is: MXW SP5102. Link below.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/maxw...-motors-sp5102

As stated in the title of the link, it's a reversing solenoid. With both an up and down feature. Again mine is only a up. With freefall for down.

Question: Can this solenoid work with my windlass? Does anyone have experience with this? The employee wasn't sure why it WOULD work but my thinking is that can't I just use the up connection and not the down? Up and down are never operated at the same time so I don't understand why this might be an issue. I just need to get the boat home safe and can order whatever is needed down the line - but we're trying to leave this Saturday on a 14 day trip. That would be quite the arm workout if we can't figure something out in a pinch.
albinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
Guru

City: Here and there
I’d be talking to Maxwell support. They’ve always been responsive when I had a question. I don’t even see an 1100 model. 1000, 1200, 1500 but no 1100.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
A windless is typically just a "dumb" electric motor, the control is similar to a starter on a car, with the exception of an extra pole to reverse the motor

(but apparently not in your case). Many windlasses seem to use the same generic solenoid, the important part is the amp capacity and its duty. I wouldn't think it should be a hard thing to swap the solenoid out to get you going.

If its truly a single direction these should work.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/maxw...oid-kit-sp1393

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/cole...noids-24213-bx

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Guru

Easy enough to go to an NAPA and get a high amp continuous duty 12-volt solenoid
from what you described as a one directional motor it is nothing complicated
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Bainbridge Island Washington
Vessel Name: Elmore
Vessel Model: 1890 Custom Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinalaska View Post
Looking for a bit of help here. Appreciate any input.

Trying to get a windlass working for our voyage where it will certainly be depended upon. Windlass ia a Maxwell 1100 - can't find much on them so I assume it's older than it looks. It's a single direction - up only. The solenoid is believed to have failed (as it turns over fine when the solenoid was bypassed for a test) but the Fisheries Supply crew here in Seattle aren't sure which one to give me and have limited stock.

The "failed" solenoid is nothing that I've be able to track down (might be an old automotive? It's clearly older than it looks (very few markings) but it looks similar to the kind on my engines than anything maxwell sells so it probably was never the correct type). Long story longer:

The solenoid they have in stock for Maxwell windlasses is: MXW SP5102. Link below.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/maxw...-motors-sp5102

As stated in the title of the link, it's a reversing solenoid. With both an up and down feature. Again mine is only a up. With freefall for down.

Question: Can this solenoid work with my windlass? Does anyone have experience with this? The employee wasn't sure why it WOULD work but my thinking is that can't I just use the up connection and not the down? Up and down are never operated at the same time so I don't understand why this might be an issue. I just need to get the boat home safe and can order whatever is needed down the line - but we're trying to leave this Saturday on a 14 day trip. That would be quite the arm workout if we can't figure something out in a pinch.
You can use it, you’ll just use one pole. You can also get one of these since it’s a one way motor. All you need is a continuous duty 12v motor control solenoid that handles sufficient amps. You can get them at most auto parts stores.
Caphenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

UPDATE: (Resolved)

Really appreciate all the replies! For those interested or with a similar problem in the future:

The solenoid was certainly the issue. Contacted Will at Vetas-Maxwell,Inc. (he's incredibly helpful by the way) - said that the 1100 was made for one year - from 1989-1990 - then the marketing department decided to round up the model number. They are basically the exact same thing as the 1200. He recommended the appropriate solenoid: SP5102. I can upgrade to a down switch at another time but for now just have the one-way.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Here and there
Thanks for the update. I dealt with Will previously and he was very helpful. i read somewhere they make or try to make their products backward compatible so parts should be more available.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinalaska View Post
UPDATE: (Resolved)

Really appreciate all the replies! For those interested or with a similar problem in the future:

The solenoid was certainly the issue. Contacted Will at Vetas-Maxwell,Inc. (he's incredibly helpful by the way) - said that the 1100 was made for one year - from 1989-1990 - then the marketing department decided to round up the model number. They are basically the exact same thing as the 1200. He recommended the appropriate solenoid: SP5102. I can upgrade to a down switch at another time but for now just have the one-way.
Thanks for clarifying this Albin, I have been trying to get information on our 1100 also but always end up at the V1000.
I’m trying to find what size of chain is recommended for our gypsy? We were down chain shopping yesterday and tried 8 different sizes of chain with gypsy in hand. With no perfect match!
We currently have Danforth (Not a fan of this anchor coming from a Bruce) anchor with 1/4” chain that fits not bad, but is so wore out and I feel under sized for the boat. I was hoping to fit 5/16” G4 in the gypsy but that fit isn’t idle either. Curious what sizes a few of you run on similar winches?
New boat to us.
46 LOA
#30,000 fully loaded
We are yearly cruisers up in Northern Vancouver Islands, and after just getting back in from last week gales at anchor. And yes we have many years at anchor for the critics.
We need to upgrade to some good/better ground tackle.
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you look on the chain wheel there should be a number usually. On mine it said “108”. I talked to Will at Maxwell-Vetas and he said for the 1100 we needed “5/16ths High Test ISO Short Link”. If that still doesn’t fit maybe the condition of the snugs are inadequate and you need to replace parts?

Tags
anchor, help with installing, maxwell, windlass