Old 07-02-2018, 04:48 AM   #1

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: La-Sallette
Vessel Model: Trawler
Tasmania

Hi all, long time reader first time poster. We have just completed (well 90%) converting a timber trawler/lobster boat to a pleasure craft. 3.5 years to recalk, new bulwarks, extend wheelhouse, replace or refurbish all systems. Conversion was done in Launceston and now we are learning how to use her. So far just up Tamar river around to Triabunna on east coast then explored Schouten Is and Maria Is then around peninsula to Hobart. Latest trip was down channel and up Huon River nearly to Huonville over a couple of days.

Would be great to know if there is anyone from Tassie on this site. With the upcoming wooden boat festival in Feb 2019 hopefully it will entice some similar boat down this way.
Attached Thumbnails
1AD124CD-58AB-4A07-A770-0A89FD4CB47E.jpg  
La-Sallette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to TF from a fellow Aussie. Great looking boat you have there. Congratulations on your loving restoration. I only got to Tassie one time so far, but loved it. The trip up the Gordon River is something else. Amazing scenery, and I loved the Drunken Admiral restaurant down at the harbour. What a great nautical theme. I believe the Wooden Boat Festival is really something. Some of the members on here have attended it, I think. Benn, of the vessel Tidahapah for one, I'm pretty sure. He may comment.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Beautiful boat, I’ve been working on my Rose for about 9 years, they are similar in shape and design. I think I’ll pass on the show.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	78073
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #4

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Welcome from another Aussie/Kiwi, Hope to make it down your within the next couple of years.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Beautiful boat. Welcome aboard
Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Hi La-Sallette, we don't have a boat of any size anymore but yes we are in Tassie just inland on the central north coast not to far from Penguin.
Love the look of your boat. Could you give us some details i.e length, engine etc.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Welcome LS.
Yes you certainly have a beautiful boat. Tassie has an abundance of them. I hope to get down there for the next wooden boat festival and to visit relatives in Geeveston.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

Yes Tasmania still has lots of solid timber working vessels about and make a great project as swampu would well know. 9 years is a long time but your boat looks quite a bit bigger than ours.

To answer Jetstream La-Sallette is just under 50ft long and is powered by a Gardner 8lxb turning a twindisk box with PTO and a 42 inch prop. We have been running her at 1000 rpm averaging 6.9 kts using we think less than 10lph. The first run in awful conditions into a 2.5m sea over 35 hours averaged 6.5 kts

She is not fast but designed to pull a net. Perhaps the bilge keels we added has slowed her a bit.

The south west a hopefully a 2019 adventure for us Peter B. Just have to swing a few weeks leave first.

AusCan if you need some mooring options while your down let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
5EB6E0E4-87BF-45F5-9B65-2E21E5256D72.jpg   198661A4-5BE8-47A8-AC50-1271215E5047.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Nice chunk of boat and welcome.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Lovely boat La Sallette, welcome aboard!
What is she built from, I`m wondering about huon pine, hard to tell from pics.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #11

We know La-Sallette was built by P.J.Payne in 1972-73 as he wrote that inside the wheelhouse. Possibly built in Victoria or South Aus. I spoke to the original owner briefly as we chased the national registration paperwork, sadly he seemed quite hard of hearing but he did recall how she loved to roll as sea.
We have been told the planking is kauri on possible Jarra ribs. Not sure what the stem and keel are but it’s extremely hard. The bulkheads and wet well possibly Oregon. We used a lot of Macrocarpa for capping on bulwarks and the bilge keels. Had to replace one plank and used Celery Top pine. Only Huon is a little block I’m making into a support for the telly
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Sallette View Post
We know La-Sallette was built by P.J.Payne in 1972-73 as he wrote that inside the wheelhouse. Possibly built in Victoria or South Aus. I spoke to the original owner briefly as we chased the national registration paperwork, sadly he seemed quite hard of hearing but he did recall how she loved to roll as sea.

We have been told the planking is kauri on possible Jarra ribs. Not sure what the stem and keel are but it’s extremely hard. The bulkheads and wet well possibly Oregon. We used a lot of Macrocarpa for capping on bulwarks and the bilge keels. Had to replace one plank and used Celery Top pine. Only Huon is a little block I’m making into a support for the telly

La-Sallette,
Welcome on board, love your boat. A very worth while project and one way of really getting to know your vessel.
I had my boat Tidahapah down in Hobart for the 2015 Wooden Boat Festival and then my mates boat New Horizons for the 2017 festival. I may fly down for the 2019 festival if I am not working.
I have a 6LXB in Tidahapah and run it at 1250 RPM for just under 8 knots and a fuel burn of about 12 lts / hr
Some more photos of your boat would be great.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #13

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
Welcome La- Sallette,

looks like a very capable and solid Vessel. Enjoy.

Isn't Tassie just the best !!, we went down in 2015 and spent 3 months doing a Cir cum , it is just fantastic , we loved it. Highlights for us were the Gordon River, Port Davey, Maria Island, ah the list goes on. We had two wooden vessels prior to Liberty , so really appreciate the Knowledge and skills to maintain a Timber vessel, but best of all you know your the only one with that vessel which makes it unique.

cheers Chris D Liberty.
Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #14

City: Devonport, Tasmania
Hi La-Salette, I am up the north of the state and new here too. Not on the water just yet as I am in need of my own boat. Your lump of wood looks just the shot, and you have done a great job with her. I hope to come down your way and maybe check it out.

Allan
Allan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #15

Very nice La-Sallett!

We'll be coming down for the hwbf. Looking forward to checking out your vessel, and of course that 8lxb.

Please keep the pictures coming.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #16

City: Adelaide
Wooden Boat Guild and AWBF

Late to comment, but nice to see your fine boat La-Sallette. You probably know about the Wooden Boat Guild Tasmania (https://www.woodenboatguildtas.org.au/wp/) and if not, check them out at the AWBF. They have rooms at Battery Point and some fine vessels. We spend 3 months of the year in Tasmania (when we can get past COVID-19 restrictions) and reside in the north at Liena on the Mersey. The river is a bit shallow for your boat where we are but the north coast has many places of interest.

For those planning on attending the Australian Wooden Boat Festival and don't have a boat to play in whilst there, I suggest getting on one of the charter tall ships for the Parade of Sail on the Friday. Cruise up from Kettering or Woodbridge to Hobart on boats like the 1930's Danish ex-fishing boat Yukon (https://yukon-tours.com.au/), usually based in Franklin. Or you might get a berth on a visiting vessel such as South Australia's STV One and All (https://oneandallship.com.au/). Other tall ships could include Julie Burgess (based in Devonport), James Craig, HMB Endeavour, Young Endeavour, Soren Larson, Enterprize and even international visitors such as Lord Nelson and Tenacious (https://tallshipsnetwork.com/events/...festival-2021/). It is a truly great festival, but this to me is the highlight.

For boaties visiting Tasmania, you would probably appreciate Franklin and the Wooden Boat Centre (Wooden Boat Centre Tasmania) and Living Boat Trust (lbt) and you could also visit Cygnet, Kettering and other areas around the Huon River and D'Entrecastreau Channel. Launceston also has a wooden boat festival. But don't tell anyone else because Tasmania is a gem and we are already full!
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
The OP only did four posts since his first in 2018 so I suspect he might have flown the coop. But it is a lovely boat and I bet his wallet is thinner now.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:22 AM   #18

Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady J View Post
Late to comment, but nice to see your fine boat La-Sallette. You probably know about the Wooden Boat Guild Tasmania (https://www.woodenboatguildtas.org.au/wp/) and if not, check them out at the AWBF. They have rooms at Battery Point and some fine vessels. We spend 3 months of the year in Tasmania (when we can get past COVID-19 restrictions) and reside in the north at Liena on the Mersey. The river is a bit shallow for your boat where we are but the north coast has many places of interest.

For those planning on attending the Australian Wooden Boat Festival and don't have a boat to play in whilst there, I suggest getting on one of the charter tall ships for the Parade of Sail on the Friday. Cruise up from Kettering or Woodbridge to Hobart on boats like the 1930's Danish ex-fishing boat Yukon (https://yukon-tours.com.au/), usually based in Franklin. Or you might get a berth on a visiting vessel such as South Australia's STV One and All (https://oneandallship.com.au/). Other tall ships could include Julie Burgess (based in Devonport), James Craig, HMB Endeavour, Young Endeavour, Soren Larson, Enterprize and even international visitors such as Lord Nelson and Tenacious (https://tallshipsnetwork.com/events/...festival-2021/). It is a truly great festival, but this to me is the highlight.

For boaties visiting Tasmania, you would probably appreciate Franklin and the Wooden Boat Centre (Wooden Boat Centre Tasmania) and Living Boat Trust (lbt) and you could also visit Cygnet, Kettering and other areas around the Huon River and D'Entrecastreau Channel. Launceston also has a wooden boat festival. But don't tell anyone else because Tasmania is a gem and we are already full!
Hi LJ, you do spend 3 months of the year in a stunning place, and fairly remote out in Liena. We ride motorbikes along the roads around the area, to and from Sheffield, fantastic roads and scenery.

Agree the AWBF is excellent in every way, and Hobart is a great backdrop for it.
Hopefully the Feb 2021 show goes ahead.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:31 AM   #19
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our next holiday could be in Tasmania. As was our last one, Nov 19. A quick healthy 6 day cruise Sydney> Tassie and back on the infamous Ruby Princess,for my partners birthday.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:12 AM   #20

Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Our next holiday could be in Tasmania. As was our last one, Nov 19. A quick healthy 6 day cruise Sydney> Tassie and back on the infamous Ruby Princess,for my partners birthday.
Best months weather wise for boating and outdoor events is Feb/March, usually a lot more settled by then, the Wooden Boats would be the icing on the cake of course.
I wonder how the cruise-ship industry will get back on its feet again after all this?
It would be good to get Aussie’s to holiday at home for a while.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote