Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
A short Aussie vid, with whipbird calls

We shot this tiny video using an IPhone, early last Sunday morning, in pristine Little Jerusalem Bay on the Hawkesbury river system, north of Sydney, Intending to film the morning mist, we found the little IPhone captured perfectly the calls of the whip birds on the shore. The sound is made by 2 birds, one calls and the other responds, creating the sound of a whip being cracked.
After that build up, I hope the sound comes through.
Attached Files
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Guru

Small world spent the weekend around Smiths Creek hairtail fishing . Looks like a early spring
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
That came over well, Bruce. Looks a lovely place to overnight too. I usually use my Sony video camera for such stuff, but I have an iPone 6, and I might use it more for now for live video with sound, because it is so much easier to upload to places like this and share it.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Guru

Thanks Peter, yes, the sound is surprisingly clear.
Gaston, we didn`t venture further than Little Jerusalem, so didn`t see you, good luck with the fishing. Where is your boat kept?
We were alone until late Saturday, when an IG30 picked up the second of the 3 National Parks provided moorings, so it was quiet. They chose the Bay for its morning sun, having spent "3 freezing nights onboard". We chose it for protection from a 15kt + southerly which never came. Sunday a sailboat from Falmouth UK. picked up the third mooring, the couple paddled off to inspect the head of the Bay, which is very pretty. We were visited by kayakers who had paddled quite a distance against the tide from Apple Tree Bay near Bobbin Head, the old Halvorsen boat hire base, now an upmarket marina.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Guru

Freezing is a understatment Im on the main marina at Berowra Waters also have a public mooring across from the Berowra Waters Inn if you ever need a overnighter just PM me .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Freezing is a understatment Im on the main marina at Berowra Waters also have a public mooring across from the Berowra Waters Inn if you ever need a overnighter just PM me .
thanks, I will watch for you. We are at Dolphin Boatshed Marina, in the Gut, Brooklyn. A little rustic but nice.
We also saw a pair of sea eagles, wow, huge birds. I hope we get to record a kookaburra call, that would be something.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Thanks for posting that little vid, BruceK. How amazing to be able to share that moment of grace from the other side of the planet.
Blissboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #8

Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
Thanks for the inspiration Bruce. We were up there in May. A beautiful part of the world and I heard many bird calls because it is so quiet and never thought to use my video option to record them!! Duh.
As a side note I think we dodged a bullet as when we got back to our mooring on Middle Harbour after a month of cruising on the Pittwater it was discovered that the stb shaft had separated from the keyed flange and slid back an inch!! Could have been "interesting". Is being fixed now as I write as the boat is hauled for antifoul.
JJ
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
Guru

John, a lucky escape with the prop shaft. We are now on a marina at Brooklyn, long term, which puts us a mere 1 hour from Little Jerusalem. I`m liking it a lot, I know the area and can enjoy it, birdlife and all, easily and often.
Hope your annual haulout and service goes well. How is the solar functioning?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
Re the solar. Its pretty good but we are looking at a wind generator to top off the batteries when we are on the boat for an extended period as we dont have quite enough battery capacity if there are 2 or 3 cloudy days.
Because I work for Whitworths I have a good deal on an Ideal 400w generator that I am going to fit. Probably not this time we are on the boat as we will have to recover from the haulout and mechanics bill!! I am also preparing the interior teak for refurbishment as well so that will take up the rest of the month we are on the boat as well as family and friends to catch up with.
Glad you are enjoying your boat on the Hawkesbury.

JJ
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote