Ranger 40 Aft Cab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yobbo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hassall Free
Vessel Make
Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
Hi, I thought I would post this in the "Down under" section hope it`s ok.

I am going to have a look at a 1986 Ranger 40 Aft Cab with twin 3208 cats, does anyone know this boat? or know anything about Rangers / Sea Rangers that were sold here in Australia? or have any advise when "looking" at one?

cheers Yobbo

Hi,

Ranger yachts were based in port Macquarie for some time, I recall in the eighties?. I think the owners were ex Steber guy's from Taree NSW. I am sure they built the 35 Ranger there, but not sure about the 40's ? One of the issues with these is the teak decks, with the vessels with this age, they areworn out and leaking due to the way they were installed originally and just time doing its thing. From what I have seen the quality of windows and ports etc were done fairly cheaply when built, and hence don't look like they are doing there job now on vessels I have seen at Marina's.They are fairly low in the Bow, and most likely fairly wet ? . They are a fairly huge volume vessel thou.
You just need to have a good look and satisfy yourself , you are prepared to take them on as they are, or hook in and get them up to speed.

Chris D Liberty Sydney Australia.

There is one for sale at my marina (Horizon Shores, Woongoolba), Yobbo, and that boat might even be it. I have often thought that for our bay they'd be an ideal arrangement because of what I consider the great features of both good accommodation, in that they have the separate aft cabin, which is a really decent size, and also have the other feature I like of the rear covered deck area on top of the aft cabin, even though raised well above the stern cockpit feature of the Europa style like we have.

It trades off the more easy feature of ease of getting on and off , docking, and access to the tender of the rear cockpit style, but if you have a family, or take friends out frequently for overnighters, that trade-off is probably something you could live with.

Aft cabin is fine, plenty of room as cabin is full width of the hull, and less noisey than up the pointy end. Ours has a rear door onto the cockpit, which we reckon makes it, on warm nights we fit a fly screen and leave it open all night.

Aft cabin is fine, plenty of room as cabin is full width of the hull, and less noisey than up the pointy end. Ours has a rear door onto the cockpit, which we reckon makes it, on warm nights we fit a fly screen and leave it open all night.

As I said :hide: :)

There were plenty of Rangers sold, in their heyday they were well received boats. Always thought they were built in Asia. I suggest check it out on its merits.
I was on an Offshore 38 sundeck recently, great aft socializing deck, and their aft cabin was turned into a lounge room. Originally a Qld boat, it had a/c. At 40ft the Ranger should offer a good range of accommodation, with the sundeck design you get multiple "rooms", which can be useful.

Well we had a look at this Ranger 40 Aft Cab, it was really the wrong boat to try and convince the Admiral we need a aft cab. It is really suited to someone in need of a overpriced project boat. Although the Admiral did raise a few points already pointed out in Peter B`s reply, i.e docking and climbing up the stern to get in and out of the tender, or go swimming, or rafting up with mates. BruceK, I remember seeing that Northshore 38 forsale a few months ago, it looked like a good buy.

Anyhow after taking the Admiral out to dinner last night (without kids) and discussing our "needs and wants" over red wine and tandori chicken, see now wants to see another aft cab with a bit of WOW factor, rather than shock and awe :)

Hey Peter B, the aft cab we looked at is at Gold Coast city marina, do you know where the one at your marina is advertised?

Yobbo

Well we had a look at this Ranger 40 Aft Cab, it was really the wrong boat to try and convince the Admiral we need a aft cab. It is really suited to someone in need of a overpriced project boat.... BruceK, I remember seeing that Northshore 38 for sale a few months ago, it looked like a good buy.
If it`s the same boat,(an Offshore(not Northshore)), the owner had it on the market but took it off. He is still thinking of going bigger to cruise north, if you have an interest PM me your email and I`ll pass it to the owner. He`s just done engine work, updated the canvas/clears, renewed the swim platform, and is away cruising Lake Macquarie.

The 38 offshore has good engines the cummins 210 hp, we had these in the last boat, they are bullet proof.
I recall seeing the vessel around the Cowan creek area cruising, the Name rings a bell.

Chris D Liberty Sydney Australia

Hey Peter B, the aft cab we looked at is at Gold Coast city marina, do you know where the one at your marina is advertised?

Yobbo

I can't find it listed, Yobbo, but it's down on the brokers part of the Marina, (near the offices), at Horizon Shores, or at least it was when I was down there last week. Maybe duck down and have a gecko if heading past on the Motorway at any stage soon..? I'll have a closer look next time I'm down there as well. It might not be a Ranger 40, but it looks like similar layout. However, may be a 44/45 footer - some were...

However, taking up your comment re wanting more 'wow factor', what about this one they do have down there? - price ?ok, has aft cabin, sundeck, AND quite generous boarding/swimming/fishing cockpit, AND a looks wow factor...
If I was in that market I'd buy it myself...

Masters 53 Yachtfisher: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Fibreglass/grp | Queensland (Qld) - Horizon Shores Boat Sales, Cabbage Tree Point Road, Woongoolba Qld

Last edited:
Bruce I sent you a PM

Peter, that boat use to be in our old marina (hope harbour) I remember when it was towed in (3 years ago) , it needed a lot of work. thanks anyhow, we are only wanting to go up to around 40 foot

Yobbo

Thanks Brett,

I did see that one, it`s been on the market for around 6 months, the only thing that puts me off is the volvo engines

Hi Veetwin3, Do you mean the Ranger 40? My search ended almost 2 years ago when we brought a Riviera 35 aft cab one of only 16 made (40 loa) twin 210 6bt cummins, 3 cabins, 2 toilets, 3 showers, ducted reverse cycle A/C, 6.5kva onan genset, davco deck crane, it`s a heck of a lot of boat for 40`. I am really happy with it, I have clocked up around 200hrs of engine running hours since we brought it, I am super impressed with the 6BT`s, it cruises really nice at 8-10knots @1400 rpm, 15-16 knots @ 2200 rpm and at WOT 20+ knots. I love the aft cab apart from a few hot nights it is so comfortable, ours has a very large swim platform which I can see from the helm when backing in, and only 3 steps to the back deck and another 3 steps up to the flybridge, 1100 liter fuel tank, 400 liters of water, no ladders, no teak decks, so after almost 2 years of owning it, I still love it, and so does the family

Hi Yobbo,

Yes I was talking about the Ranger 40 aft cab. As it happens the boat you did buy was based on another boat I had, a Markline which is a Kiwi built boat. Riviera bought the moulds to create the aft cab you now have. They are great hulls. I have been on board one of them years ago. Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, yes you are correct the hull is from a Markline mold, I had it lifted and surveyed at Maritimo on the Gold Coast and Bill Barry -Cotter can down from his office to have a look and he told me he used a Marline mold from NZ and they did the top mold, he also told me he only made 16, I have seen a few others that have come onto the market and have sold since we brought ours and I have noticed other brands of boats I looked at still on the market too. What boat do you have now?, cheers Ian

Hey if you are looking at something like that, try and get one of the versions with the fishing cockpit, you will be so glad you did. Makes a hell of a difference when letting go and tiring up, also when anchored up getting in and out of the tender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom