Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #1

City: Bendigo
Vessel Name: Seraphim
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 44
Importing from the US

Hi all,
trying to get some decent info on importing a 34' CHB trawler from th US, has anyone here imported before, plan to travel over mid next year, any feedback would be appreciated
Offthehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
Hi all,
trying to get some decent info on importing a 34' CHB trawler from th US, has anyone here imported before, plan to travel over mid next year, any feedback would be appreciated
How do you plan on getting it here?
Have you had a quote on price?
Have you read through the tax implications on the customs web site?
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I'm just curious -- why would anyone in Australia come all the way over here to look for a trawler? Is it the range of available choices, the price, or both? Or perhaps some other reason?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I'm just curious -- why would anyone in Australia come all the way over here to look for a trawler? Is it the range of available choices, the price, or both? Or perhaps some other reason?
Aud -Usd close enough to parity
Something like this if you could find it would be $500,000 up instead of $100,000

Though they are getting cheaper and they are few and far between.

These are about as good as it gets

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...&Ridx=0&eapi=2

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...&Ridx=4&eapi=2

I do have my eye on this but it has quite a few issues

http://www.aboat.com.au/60ft-timber-converted-trawler/
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Something like this if you could find it would be $500,000 up instead of $100,000

Though they are getting cheaper and they are few and far between."

Would also be $500k if you could find it (in decent condition) in Canada. I doubt you will actually find one for $100k in the US, unless it is ready for a $400k refit.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Would also be $500k if you could find it (in decent condition) in Canada. I doubt you will actually find one for $100k in the US, unless it is ready for a $400k refit.
Cough cough

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ler-11400.html
Old 10-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
From what I`ve seen the US/AU price ratio is less than 5:1.
There are several brokers in Australia advertising US located boats, at an AU landed price, which appears lower than the price of a local boat.
I doubt those brokers have inspected the US boats they advertise. Buying an overseas boat, without first inspecting and surveying it, relying on the assurances of a broker who has likely not seen the boat either is, to put it nicely, unwise.
Recently some US brokers placing adverts on the boats for sale site Yachts & Boats for Sale in Australia & New Zealand | Yachthub, it seems to have ceased now.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Parmenter:

Sorry for your trouble selling a sweet looking boat. didn't realize it was a woody.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #9

City: Bendigo
Vessel Name: Seraphim
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 44
Importing from the US

the choice would be one of the main reasons, with the $A close to parity, and the price of the boats on offer its worth considering.....yachtworld.com vs boatpoint.com.au, various CHBs in every price and configuration, worth a look just for price comparison
Offthehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #10

I sold my boat to a au and it was 28000$ to ship it there it was a 40 footer
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #11

From another thread, US to Brisbane for a 50fter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
My cost for shipping, cradle, port charges both ends, lashing & securing, marine surveyor was around $80k. These 'extras' are not optional even if steep, and are a significant portion of the total. Then there is duty and GST.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Then there are the boats that are built in Oz shipped to the States and back again.
Attached Thumbnails
wooden boat show 2013 039.jpg   wooden boat show 2013 006.jpg   wooden boat show 2013 040.jpg  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
I bought my pilothouse GRP 53ft boat in USA. I would do it all again, but only if i could not find the right boat here in Aus. USA has the choice and quality if USA made and the type of boat. Tell me the last Australian made pilothouse cruiser in the 50 ft range that was made here? Riviera basically only make flybridge sports cruisers. Why does an Aussie company not make a decent pilothouse cruiser like the one i bought in USA?

When i bought mine i actually ended up doing close to a full refit. The engines are good, but basically everything has been redone or replaced. After three years of ownership where i hvae lived aboard, she is in top condition.

The question is could i have got what i wanted here in Aus? Even today, there is nothing around here which is on par with what i bought. We are going back to USA in December and going to look at a LRC Hatteras and a larger Tollycraft. We would like to move up a size which would end up being our last boat. Once again, i can not find a comparable boat here in Aus.

My boat is for sale here in Aus at a price that would be below what you could import a decent boat. We will wait and see what happens.

THere are so many moving pieces when importing a boat from USA. I highly recommend it, BUT do your homework and prepare yourself well.
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Andy,
A good find. Kalinda`s hull is described as Oregon, suggesting the hull timber came from the US or Canada, yet another journey.
Oregon is a generic term here, I think of it as Douglas Fir (I`ve an old 2 height bookcase I believe is Douglas Fir).
The old Halvorsen factory at Ryde/Putney still remains, old and tired, occupied by various boat repairers. There were originally 8 parallel slipways for constructing new Halvorsens.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #15

City: Blackmans Bay, Tasmania
Vessel Name: WESTWIND
Vessel Model: NORDHAVN 40
Hi
Maybe you already made your mind up. However, the following may assist. I imported a 40 foot boat in 2009. You will need to add cost of a cradle if she comes as deck cargo, plus 5% import duty, plus 10% GST. Also if there are refrigerators/freezers aboard you will need to purchase a refrigeration license for around $3000.
The advantage of USA purchase will be a vast array of options.
Once she arrives you will have to add a transformer to enable 240Volt shore power charging to the USA 110 Volt system.
Good Luck
Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot1500 View Post
Hi
Maybe you already made your mind up. However, the following may assist. I imported a 40 foot boat in 2009. You will need to add cost of a cradle if she comes as deck cargo, plus 5% import duty, plus 10% GST. Also if there are refrigerators/freezers aboard you will need to purchase a refrigeration license for around $3000.
The advantage of USA purchase will be a vast array of options.
Once she arrives you will have to add a transformer to enable 240Volt shore power charging to the USA 110 Volt system.
Good Luck
Ynot,
What is a refrigeration license? I know you guys are partial to your cold beer ..but a license to operate the refer?
Cheers,
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. H. It may be a surtax to make sure no Lucas refrigerators enter the country.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Importing cars, boats, caravans, motor vehicles or any other equipment that may contain refrigerant gas into Australia - What you need to do
Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Before you import 110v 60 hz refrigeration into Australia make sure that the manufacture allows the refrigeration to be operated on 50 hertz. A step down transformer will drop the voltage from the Australian 220 v to North American 110 v but will pass through the Australian 50 hz. Many North American units will not work on 50 hertz, others will be damaged with time. Given the cost of the Australian refrigeration license if applicable it might be better to leave the refrigeration in the US and buy Australian. But then I don't know the Australian costs.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I've never heard of a refrigeration licence either, and I live here. He may be referring to the type of coolant gas in it. But I would think the US are even more tough on ozone killer gas, so would expect it would have an acceptable refrigerant gas in it. The voltage and AC frequency would be the only real issue I would think. Frigs are a bit more sensitive than most other appliances to that.