Extreme Weather Event in SouthEast Queensland, Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As dawn broke, the full scale of the flood became visible. It was frankly terrifying. The river was a rapids with large standing waves curving over the surface and running at 10-15 knots.

Many trees went past out to sea and were washed up on the surf beach or further out to become deadhead hazards to passing vessels. By now, we were completely an island as the river on the lower south side had encircled lowlands to create a separate flow from the backed up shallow estuary to the west to the south and then back to the river right through the coop facility.

As the waters rose on Sunday and Monday, the south side of the moorings became, well, a waterfall, and then the water kept on rising. Many boats were pinned down by short lines and a few rub rails were catching on top of the concrete pilings.

But no-one sank. And inside the embayment, there actually wasn't much current so provided you could absorb the sluicing top meter off the main river over the breakwater, it was simply a matter of sitting tight and praying for the rain to stop.
Mr. Pegasus:

This was a gripping post. Thank you for the Google Maps link to your location, and the videos, and your photos. The Maps link combined with the photos put me right in your wet shoes, feeling what you felt as the waters rose and rushed past your vessel, hurtling by on their way to the South Pacific ocean.

This flood event is yet more proof that Mother Nature doesn't give a damn about our living quarters. Reminds me of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina here in the States.

My heart goes out to the families with nothing to return to.

One question: What is "CBD?"

Best Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

Dear Mrs. Trombley, CBD = central business district.
The history of the Lismore CBD and the Richmond River is found here
https://lismore.nsw.gov.au/historical-information-about-the-city-of-lismore
and explains why it is so vulnerable to flooding, even w/o climate change.
If you scan down, you will find HMAS Lismore which happens to be the vessel that my father served in WWII, a venerable minesweeper...except the photo shown is not the actual HMAS Lismore...that is found here!
https://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-lismore

Last edited:
Bruce, has the water level at the Brooklyn marinas risen or is the entrance to the ocean at Broken bay too wide?
We saw pics of flooding a couple of days ago, of the eastern end near the ferry wharves, rain or river I can`t say. But yes,the broadening of the waterway and the sea opening should reduce the rise.

Not posted here for a while, that doesn`t mean the La Nina rain has gone away. Northern NSW flooded again 10 days ago, same places, just as people moved back to their homes and businesses. It`s back again, hitting the mid NSW coast, 3 more days of rain, up to 300mm in 6 hours, predicted in some places, depends on storm cells forming. Predicted to continue on/off until June, or maybe until 2023! Sydney is overdue to get whacked, we`ve been north and south of the worst. The land is saturated, the dams are full, rain runs right off,that means floods, predicted light to moderate, but I`m wondering about accuracy. Moderate to heavy rain right now, constant, increasing, predicted worse tonight and tomorrow. Aircon on "Dry" helps at home.

Possible cyclone now...

Just to top things off, there is a cyclone forming in the Coral Sea off our coast. Let's hope it behaves as predicted here... ? ?
A tropical cyclone developed to the northwest of New Caledonia on the morning of Tuesday 5 April. Tropical cyclone Fili (pronounced Fee-Lee) is forecast to strengthen to category 2 intensity in the next 24-48 hours. Fili is currently just east of Australia's official area of responsibility, which extends to 160°E longitude. The forecast track issued by the Fiji Meteorological Service indicates the system will move to the south south-east in the coming days, likely passing just west of New Caledonia. There is the risk of heavy rainfall which could cause flash flooding, along with gale-force winds, affecting New Caledonia in the coming days. Based on current forecasts, the system is not expected to move towards the Australian mainland; however, it may move close to Norfolk and Lord Howe islands later this week.

Bruce, Did here about and have goggled. Dammit you have outdone our local flooding.
Here it was atmospheric river, you call yours a rain bomb for the next few days.
Australia is in the news shadow of Ukraine.

Stay safe.

Wishing you all good fortune. Nature can be pretty indifferent to we mortals.

Don’t know if this will make you feel better or worse, but here in the SE US, it’s another day of tornado watches—a regular spring occurrence. Our worst outbreak was April 27, 2011 when 216 tornadoes touched down, leaving 316 dead. The map shows the web of warning areas with Chattanooga barely visible between Nashville and Atlanta. We were evacuated to the basement of the massive concrete structure I worked in and cringed as the ceiling tiles were violently lifted up by a pressure differential when one of the twisters roared overhead.

I flew over the area a day or two later and you could see the scars of bare earth ripped up by the tornadoes everywhere. In a few places those scars crossed, which meant those unlucky spots were hit by two tornadoes on the same day.

Stay safe.

Attachments

• 3C904977-14CB-4AFB-B3EB-738453AD0EC4.jpg
    3C904977-14CB-4AFB-B3EB-738453AD0EC4.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Ian(Angus99). Those powerful destructive tornadoes must be a huge worry. Here I think it`s the La Nina persistence,the re-flooding of previously flooded areas, and flooding of new areas,that irks. We`ve all "had enough", but nature doesn`t see it that way. Add to the mix the annihilation invasion(oops, "special military exercise by Russian peacekeepers") in Ukraine, and Covid, and right now, the world seems to suck big time.
PS.Barometer has risen a little. Maybe this system is moving south.

Last edited:
The Sydney region and South Coast areas still have some flood threats it seems, but the current storms seem to have dissipated. The Northern Rivers region (including Lismore) and SE Qld are continuing flood recovery work.

The Brisbane River has been declared safe to use, although I was still dodging some small logs and other timber debris on Wednesday. It's just been announced that 6700 tonnes of debris, 60 vessels and 40 pontoons have been recovered from the river. Many ferry terminals need repairs, only very limited services are operating.

At Dockside Marina, F Dock (which has 12 berths) is still out of order with damage to the main walkway and some of the fingers not yet repaired. On the other walkways the power pedestals are not operational. There are a couple of temporary portable outlet enclosures per walkway, connected to the new main switchpanel for the marina via some fat cabling on the side of the walkways. The old main panel was flooded. At least some new wiring from that panel to the pedestals is apparently required. Washing machines in the amenities block were flooded and are yet to be replaced as well.

Hope things settle down soon, the wet easterly weather has played havoc for the east coast.

And yet out here on Moreton Bay, where we tend to frequent, appart from some rain and water discolouration, nothing has changed.

Seemed surreal watching the footage

And yet out here on Moreton Bay, where we tend to frequent, appart from some rain and water discolouration, nothing has changed.

Seemed surreal watching the footage

Wifey B: Reminds me a bit of being in South Carolina when flooding was taken place and Melissa's mom was worried about her and asked if she wasn't in danger from the floods. She said, "Mom, I'm on a boat. It floats. It's on top of the water." :rofl:

Now, just a human side to the suffering in Australia now. Friends of ours with a gorgeous home that had been in the family for many long years. Right now they're living in their Camper Van parked on a hill. They have two dogs and yesterday got word that the only vet in town would not be reopening. The damage to the building was severe, but worse, all their equipment was destroyer, so they've been hired by vet in next town and any service will be there. Other local businesses with no prospects but then a lot of residents giving up as well. :(

From talking to normally very upbeat persons, the catastrophic nature of the floods and continuing nature of them is unlike anything ever experienced in the area and they were not at all prepared physically or emotionally. I'm normally so impressed with the Australian spirit our friends there have, but it's been taken. The spirit of the community has been. Perhaps it's on top of other things, but instead of hearing a determined, fighting spirit, I'm hearing a defeated, more toward surrendering mood. I feel helpless in trying to console or assist them as I know it's a long difficult path and their mindset is so opposite their normal that it's terribly difficult to instill any hope in them. The worst doesn't impact the number of people as perhaps Harvey did in Texas or as Maria did in Puerto Rico, but in many ways that means that those who are impacted are hit harder and have less help to help their recovery. They don't want to replace and rebuild either, they want what they had back and that may be impossible. Hopefully, the recover mentally, because I've seen them destroyed in a way I never thought I'd see so far. :cry:

The demoralizing aspect is dealing with flood 1 only to be flooded again, with warnings changing as the weather did likewise, and having your life upturned. Plus knowing, it could happen again. In some areas the only real solution is not rebuilding but relocating to higher ground, which has happened, with some Govt. support.
Sydney had a years rain in just over 3 months. Yet our problems pale into insignificance with those to the north.
Same time, the west coast of Australia is dealing with drought, low water supply, heat, and fires. Nature can be tough.
Here`s something positive worth reading, about business owners confronting the hand they were dealt: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-10/nsw-flood-recovery-butcher-baker-candle-maker/100976054

Last edited:
The problem is when people build in under the house on property that is flood prone.

We have a few flood prone property's (cheap buy - high yield) and they have flooded probably 5 times in the 20 years we have owned them as much as 5 ft across the block.
Council won't allow you to build in under.in these areas.( Yet they do in the capitals)
They won't allow new low set builds..( Yet they do in the capitals)

As they are not built in no damage is done, just a hose out under which the fire brigade does free of charge.
A day or two of inconvenience - carry on.

Yes. Not for nothing Queensland sort of invented what they call 'high-set' homes, as opposed to low-set, and true two storey. Trouble is so many folk made their high-sets into cheap two storey, by building in the underneath flood protection level. Then when the area floods - shock and horror and "who knew..?" :facepalm:
However, there is a separate issue where the fault lies with the authorities where they have allowed the building of low-set and two-storey homes in areas not commonly flooded, but where it does happen, and folk buying there are genuinely taken by surprise, as they have assumed they were in a flood-free zone. :eek::nonono:

, as they have assumed they were in a flood-free zone. :eek::nonono:

Due diligence before purchase,

Pretty standard to have the conveyancer check zoning, pipes, mines, flood zones
Pretty sure banks insist on it.
You can even do it yourself prior to purchase if so inclined.

PD online has info
Flood mapping websites such as...
https://floodcheck.information.qld.gov.au/mobile-welcome.html

Simple observation sometimes works.
Often there are metal marks on powerpoles indicating historic flood lines.

Back in the day when we bought, prior to the new websites, we door knocked and questioned the neighbours.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Our friends are from Lismore, about 400 miles north of Sydney, still in NSW. Their home was on ground that had never been flooded and has now been flooded and reflooded. This isn't building on wrong ground. This is 1000 year flood because in hundreds of years hasn't flooded. This reestablishes what is safe ground. Beware, this may be happening in other areas. Makes us think. Our home and the ground it's on has never flooded, is above the maximum 100 year flood. Does that mean it's safe the next 100 years? Not with rising and warmer seas. :eek::eek::eek:

Now, are the floods there worse than floods we've seen along the Mississippi or even in eastern North and South Carolina? Likely not in absolute form, but definitely so in shock form, in expectation. I saw areas in South Carolina flooded three times in five years. However, two big differences. First was frequency. Second is that the SC floods receded more quickly and it was easier to start the recovery. Didn't get hit by second while waters from first were still there. We're talking only in degrees of devastation. But we're talking in Northern NSW there was nothing to prepare the residents. More devastating with less history. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

I think of Hurricane Sandy vs. Irma. Florida and Georgia prepared for Irma. Still tremendous damage, but part of life along the coast. When Sandy hit the mid-Atlantic and New England, it was a shock and preparation was much lower. Even then there were warnings. It's just a lot harder to understand something you haven't seen in your lifetime. :mad:

Wifey B: Our friends are from Lismore, about 400 miles north of Sydney, still in NSW. Their home was on ground that had never been flooded and has now been flooded and reflooded. This isn't building on wrong ground. This is 1000 year flood because in hundreds of years hasn't flooded. This reestablishes what is safe ground. Beware, this may be happening in other areas. Makes us think. Our home and the ground it's on has never flooded, is above the maximum 100 year flood. Does that mean it's safe the next 100 years? Not with rising and warmer seas. :eek::eek::eek:....
If there are TWO 1000 year floods in one month, things have changed. If you get flooded frequently,the house is in the wrong place.
Further south, in Sydney, Local Govt. authorities have permitted/approved building houses on known "flood plains". Add in dams, essential for water supply,which inevitably overflow after very heavy rain, and those flood plain areas below the dams get hit even harder. Dams can act as "flood mitigation" if built high enough and a margin is maintained above "full" for that purpose, but the temptation will be to fill to the top for water supply.

Poet Dorothea MacKellar accurately described Australia as "A land of droughts and flooding rains". Almost before we know it, we`ll be in drought again.

We have another bout of wild weather in Sydney. Again an east coast low formed off the coast directing wind and rain onshore. Gale warning bot offshore and inshore, incl Sydney Harbour. Route ferries from Sydney to Manly and vv are suspended. Here`s a pic of one of the new catamaran ferries partly replacing the traditional ferry fleet, taken earlier this year.
ce603370d8c82c491f43e8083e427275

Last edited:
Lots of rain in the Nepean catchment yesterday! Another day or two of that, which might happen, will make for yet another big flood event this year. No doubt many are yet to recover from the last one. I wish those affected well....

Our marina still has temporary switchboards on the fingers, and one pier with 12 berths remains out of order. Insurers are slow to settle claims. But even then, there is so much to repair that getting work done takes a lot of time. All this from floods at end of Feb.

People in vulnerable areas are already flooded and evacuated,third time this year. Really tough for them,and tomorrow could be worse.

Our haulout and antifoul this week at Fenwicks Marina may be delayed to finish earlier jobs.
Hope you get your marina back to normal service soon Brian.

Wild down here last night (15–30Kn winds), and as I am on a dock presently (working on the clears), many trips outside to reset fenders, etc. At root, a far more uncomfortable night than on the mooring. @ BruceK: that is an amazing image of the Sydney Cat ferry.

We have had too many of the "one in 150 years" flood events this year. Today and yesterday, we were driving through a foot of water slowly (1st or second gear, carefully here at Greenwell Point, just to go anywhere.

Best wishes to everyone flood/inundation affected. Last night at 0:23, fender reset #1, the sea level here (predicted at 1.5m, WillyWeather) was nudging 2.0m. East Coast Low, and the Shoalhaven River output, I am thinking. We have had over 300mm here in 24 hours.

The tow line parted last night. Amazing the tugs even got lines onboard in swells up to 9M. The ship remains anchored having drifted further offshore. It seems the engine problem might need outside repair help,current plan is to wait out the weather and tow it into nearby Port Botany, our main container port with all the facilities needed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...randed-sydney-after-tug-cable-snaps/101208426
And here`s a summary of the current weather and extensive flooding affecting NSW State. It looks like the system is moving north. Good for Sydney, not so good up north.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...-sydney-and-nsw-flash-flooding-risk/101208074

Last edited:
The tow line parted last night. Amazing the tugs even got lines onboard in swells up to 9M. The ship remains anchored having drifted further offshore. It seems the engine problem might need outside repair help,current plan is to wait out the weather and tow it into nearby Port Botany, our main container port with all the facilities needed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...randed-sydney-after-tug-cable-snaps/101208426
And here`s a summary of the current weather and extensive flooding affecting NSW State. It looks like the system is moving north. Good for Sydney, not so good up north.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...-sydney-and-nsw-flash-flooding-risk/101208074

Yes Bruce, bad news all round for NSW and maybe again for QLD looking at todays rain radar. There has hardly been any let up for six months!
Regarding the disabled ship, let’s hope it doesn’t result into a situation where she comes ashore like the one off Newcastle about a decade ago.

Yes Bruce, bad news all round for NSW and maybe again for QLD looking at todays rain radar. There has hardly been any let up for six months!
Regarding the disabled ship, let’s hope it doesn’t result into a situation where she comes ashore like the one off Newcastle about a decade ago.
Ah yes, the Pasha Bulker which went ashore on Nobbys Beach at Newcastle, eventually dragged back to sea.
Last I heard the ship was under tow and likely to be in Port Botany by now, taking advantage of a weather window of reduced seas. The engine fault has been reported as a failed "turbofan", it`s not an aeroplane so I assume it`s the turbocharger.

The Hunter Valley north of Sydney is getting flooded now, but it`s still raining enthusiastically here. We run the aircon 24/7 on "Dry" to combat the humidity> mould, mildew, rot, etc. I`ve ordered a dehumidifier but it`s coming 4500km from Perth in Western Australia, no stock on the east coast.

Last edited:
Aaaaggghhh....we don't want it up here. We've had enough rain/flooding already. :facepalm:

Ah yes, the Pasha Bulker which went ashore on Nobbys Beach at Newcastle, eventually dragged back to sea.
Last I heard the ship was under tow and likely to be in Port Botany by now, taking advantage of a weather window of reduced seas. The engine fault has been reported as a failed "turbofan", it`s not an aeroplane so I assume it`s the turbocharger.

The Hunter Valley north of Sydney is getting flooded now, but it`s still raining enthusiastically here. We run the aircon 24/7 on "Dry" to combat the humidity> mould, mildew, rot, etc. I`ve ordered a dehumidifier but it`s coming 4500km from Perth in Western Australia, no stock on the east coast.

Back in the early 90’s in Sydney, during a very prolonged wet period over a summer, mould was horrendous apparently. Probably has never been that bad again until this year.
Hope it all clears soon to give you all a break!

Back
Top Bottom