Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Sargood, That would probably be Gary Sargoods father.
I know Gary is still around , any how will give it a go.
Interesting hull shape,
Sure looks like a hollow heel sharpie.
By the way what slipway were the photos taken at?

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #22

City: Manly, Qld
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Model: Timber Hollow Heeled Sharpie
I do love knowing a bit more about her. Wow it would be nice to get some facts rather than just third hand stories. I must go and see the skipper in bundy. He has some old photos of her which I should try to copy.
From what I've heard sargood was quite an interesting character. Had some thing to do with bob ansett so he was a player in Qld. If i've got the story right he had a few mines and them sold them then went into trawlers. I'm assuming thats when he had mine built.

On her shape the old boat builder from wrights I used kept on saying the guy who did the planking in front of the prop area was a genius. I been told a few times she's "Very fine aft" She certainly loves a following sea, the waves just slide under her. Sorry don't mean to go on, this thread is about your boat isn't it?

Those pics are on the slipway at Wynnum Manly Yacht Club. Great slipway but no spraying unfortunatly. I'm up again in a couple of weeks and an going to try a air powered paint roller to put the antifoul on. Actually I should start a new thread to see if any one has tried it and has some tips.

Paul.
moreton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #23
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
This may be a bit of a tread hijack, so sorry Ben, but Paul how about a few photo's of the of Leprechaun's keel.

Not knowing much about 'woodies' why would you design a boat with a hollow heel? Surely not a weight issue.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Andy,
As Paul said previously have a look at his signature for photos.
Hollow heel refers to the shape, this is the curvature the hull makes as it is planked back to the deadwood/ keel.
Being planked all the way leaves it hollow and not full wood as in a built up keel as in a normal carvel or sharpie.
Hope this explains it.I think there is a picture of my built up keel in my signature
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Ah, I had a feeling the answer would show up my ignorance of wooden boat construction.

Still, as my old dad used to say, 'try and learn something new each day, and you won't go far wrong'.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #26

City: Manly, Qld
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Model: Timber Hollow Heeled Sharpie
I was told one reason for the hollow heel is the motor and gearbox can be mounted lower (into the heel)and the prop shaft comes out at a more flatter angle so the thrust is more efficient. I've seen a few carvels with hollow heels but never another sharpie.
moreton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #27

City: Brisbane
I should have stayed away, should not have looked at this forum. Now I am really missing my boat.
Veetwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetwin2 View Post
I should have stayed away, should not have looked at this forum. Now I am really missing my boat.
Hi Steve, gotcha message. Sent one back as well. Welcome to the forum, you'll find it excellent. What happened to Comfortably Numb in the end..? (His Clipper 34, new model, he is mourning parting with FYI). Is another boat in the agenda. You were hankering after a Nordy, if I remember correctly. I often wondered if you might catch up with us over on here. FF, Phil/Fil, RalphYost, NomadWilly, AKA Manyboats now, and several other ex-PMM folk are over here.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #29

City: Brisbane
Hi Peter,
We sold Comfortably Numb a little while back. It was just quietly listed with Clipper Yachts, and someone who viewed it came back some weeks later and wanted to buy it.I believe it has gone to Sydney.
We have had some money on term deposit ever since and fully intend to buy another boat sometime. We did go to the boat show last year and also the Gold Coast City Marina event.
I guess we are trying to figure out how to have enough money to retire, have a house and a nice boat. Do you have any ideas?? Ha Ha.
Yvonne still likes the Clippers, however says she would like something bigger next time. that only makes it harder to sort out!
She really likes the Hudson Bay 50. The flybridge is not on her want list, however i am not so sure. With the high dollar a Nordie would be easier to get than before, but at this stage I can only dream. The birth of our first grandchild makes me want to get another boat, but I guess I have a few years before he will want to go with grandma & grandad in the boat. It also makes you think about berths in the boat as well.
We had some fantastic times in our boats. Really starting to miss being at anchor with the sun going down, steaks sizzling on the barbie, and wine or beer in hand.
We decided we weren't going to go to the show this year, as we do not wish to buy another just yet. I am conscious of the fact that you should never put off your dream for too long, as you might get sick of snuff it before you get to realize the dream. I have sort of given myself about 4 years to make some more money, and then I must act whether I am ready of not. Many nights I go to bed thinking about the next boat.....anyway I hope you and your family are well. Do you hear from any of the others? We had a good day out Wayne M's boat that time. All the best to you,
Regards Steve & Yvonne
Veetwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote