Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Down The Bay

At long last got away from Mooloolaba this morning.
Departed on the last of the making tide to get across to the east entrance to Moreton Bay by about mid day.
Great run across slight easterly swell nice and warm at about 27 deg C.
Down the bay and anchored at the Sandhills.
Heading for the Gold Coast City Marina to carry out some mods to Tidahapah.
not sure how far I will go but paravanes are on top of the list and a possible ketch rig or may be just a main.
Discussions with the guys at the yard will sort these things out.
Not having been south of Peel Island before tomorrow should be interesting with all these shallow passages and sand bars.
may even get to take some photos tomorrow.

Plenty of rain and lighting tonight but all has settled.
Excel is out on the end of 40 mts of 1/2 " chain all is good with the worls.
Just good to be out and about.
Went past Tangalooma this afternoon and it looked like a bloody car park in behind the wrecks, no room to swing a cat.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Guru

Peter B,
Came past Horizon Shores today on my way south.
Am presently anchored just across the passage from Soverign Island , up the river in the morning to Gold Coast City Marina.
Must admit don't like all this shallow water work prefer the open blue water.
The Gold Coast must ooze fast,big wake makers like Sunseekers etc who just want to speed by at 15/20 knots in 3 mts of water bow up causing havoc and then there are the Jet Ski brigade. ( Bring on rule 303)
Any how the sun has set and if you turn your back on Soverign Is one can see the tranquillity of South Stradbroke island, all is not lost.

Peter, I should have Tidahapah down here for a couple of months so in between work etc we may be able to catch up.
Benn
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I did tap out on my iPad a lengthy reply to Benn, commiserating on the huge number of PWCs, fizz-boats and large expensive plastic fantastic boats in the southern part of the bay, not to mention even a seaplane taking off and landing all the time. However, the worst issue is the dreaded large semi-planers roaring around waking everyone in their passing, having traversed the same part of the bay not long before him, and when I went to submit the post, it disappeared...
First time that has ever happened - not sure what actually happened, but I was not about to type it all again on the pad, (this is on my MacBook), so I rang him on his mobile. It looks like we might be able to finally link up while Tidahapah is down at the Gold Coast City Marina having stuff done, as he mentions above. We might even get to go to the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show together, instead of by ourselves, which is the usual norm for each of us I suspect.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Guru

Got into Gold Coast City Marina yesterday morning, quick tidy up and hire car home to pick up my own car.
Back down today to discuss future work with the boys from Broadwater marine.
Reposition chain plates for fwd mast.
Install mast and associated gear, re locate all radio & GPS Ants and radar dome.

Look into installing compression post for installation of back mast to assist in hanging the paravane arms and associated gear.
Install arms and paravanes.

One of my favourite boats is on the hard down here Big Bud a Watson 62 a great passagemaker.
Bow thruster, stern thruster and get home engine, I have attached a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020279.JPG   P1020280.jpg   P1020281.jpg   P1020284.jpg   P1020285.JPG  

P1020287.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Guru

A couple of photos of Estraleda a boat similar to Tidahapah with the rig I hope to end up with when I leave this yard
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0149.JPG   IMG_0150.JPG  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Benn, how much speed do you figure you can get out of a sail rig like that? Is it to assist on downwind legs cruising?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Guru

Craig,
This will mainly be used as sail assist to save fuel on long trips.
Contrary to other opinions these vessels do sail reasonably well under sail alone.
My mate in Waverly a similar boat to mine and built by the same builder gets a nice 6.5 knots with a 15 knot breeze.
Ok they don't sail off the wind that well but with 5'8' draught they still point reasonably well for a motor boat.
The aft mast is also the main rigging point for the paravane arms.
Cheers
Benn
PS 995 posts after nearly 5.5 years I must be talking to much and not cruising enough.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Benn,
Best of luck with the upgrade.
Beside's the cost savings, I sure enjoy shutting down the engine and enjoying the silence on the water every now and then, even if I lose a knot or two.

Having a backup power source also gives some peace of mind.

Are you considering a gaff rigged sail?
With their lower center of force, you get a less heeling. They are a good choice for a motor sailer. And they look cool IMO, although I am somewhat biased.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Guru

Mate,
No gaff rig here as one of the options is in mast furling , but think it may stretch the budget a little too much, see what happens.
Cheers
Benn
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
big bud

Hi Benn

Good luck with all your upgrades to your boat. Just a note on Big Bud. She is moored near me and I know the owner. She is having some fairly extensive rust repaired from under the gunnel area as well as general upgrades and over due maintenance. Then she is being seriously put up for sale as owner is heading back to NZ to live.

She is a nice boat, not used much and when she went o Sydney at Christmas had a lot of small issues which i feel may have frustrated her owner and hence the work being done now.

Take care
Bo
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #11

City: Manly, Qld
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Model: Timber Hollow Heeled Sharpie
Benn,

I'm very interested to see how she performs with a sail. I am keen to put a mast on my old girl as there seem to be only benefits. Be lovely if she will actually sail but also being able haul the dingy up top in lieu of a crane and nice to have a backup even if its just steerage. I love my paravanes but they cost a bit of fuel and in the right breeze the sail should achieve the same thing.

How tall are you planning to make the mast? Where will you mount the winches?

All the best with the changes,

Cheers,

Paul.
moreton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Guru

Paul,
Welcome aboard.
First up, Who built your boat, where, what timber and what engine. Length,beam and draft.
Tidahapahwas designed by Fred Fleming, built by Bert Ellis up in Norman Creek. 48'6" x 15'3" and draft of 5'8"
Now powered by a 6LXB Gardner , previously a Fiat 8210.

main mast will be approx 11 mts (39')mizzen (if it goes on) about 28"
I know I will loose about 0.5 of a k with the paravanes but I cruise outside a lot and thought it was about time I treated the Boss lady to a bit more comfort.
Not sure of winch positions as yet but I will keep info comming in the other thread as it happens, I can assure you it won't be fast.
Cheers
Benn
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #13

Hi Benn,

From what I know Leprechaun was built by a Terry Bird in Mooloolabah as a trawler around 1974. We think the hull is iron bark and she's a shade under 50' and a bit over 16' and drags just over 6 foot. She's got a 300 hp Cummins NT855 which rips her along at 10 knots if I ignore the fuel usage! Much much cheaper at 7.5 k She's a bit unusual as its a hollow heeled sharpie and I would love to know who designed her. I've been told shes like a Mclaren but that doesnt mean much.

You and the boss will love the paravanes. We took Leprechaun up north last year and the paravanes just slow the motion from the easterly roll down nicely. Funnily enough the gallows and fixed arms on Leprechaun are ex Estraleda but they need a bit of modification to lock the fixed fish down in place. I use paravanes currently and they work well but one day I will work on the fixed fish.(maybe after the mast)

Thanks for posting the info.

Paul.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Guru

Paul,
Funnily enough one of the sets of fish I have are ex Estraleda.
I recently bought them off Richard Tallon who is an ex owner.
By the way where are you based.
Cheers
Benn
Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #15

Hi Benn,

Estraleda keeps popping up. Shows she is well traveled I suppose. I picked the gallows and arms etc up at Gold Coast Marina but never met the owner. But then last winter we saw her off Goldsmith Island and met the owner there.

We are based at Manly in Brisbane in WMYC and also spend a lot of time over the southern end of Moreton Island. Leprechaun is often seen in bumms bay as its so close for a surf.

Paul.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
Guru

Good stuff Paul,
I don't get down the Bay much , mainly spend my time up north.

Last couple of years have not travelled much except up to Fraser a couple of times each year.
If I get this work completed will head north this year and maybe leave the boat in Mackay for a while.
Stay in touch we will run into each other some where and I will let you know how the rig works if and when fitted.
Cheers
Benn
Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Benn, I imagine cost would be the bummer, but have you costed the sheer effectiveness and convenience of the Seakeeper Gyroscopic stabiliser system as opposed to the para vanes. I am not all that fussed on the idea of fin stabilisers sticking out. If I had a boat worth stabilising, that is. However, I would also be nervous about things trailing in the water. Guess I'm paranoid about them catching on something, and the fiddle getting then set and also back on board. I should never have watched that based on fact movie, 'The Perfect Storm'.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
Guru

Peter,
Fact 1 "The Perfect Storm" was pure fiction, so much hype and not a lot of fact except for the story line.
Gyro stabilisers are heavy, consume a lot of power and still have some unknown power problems and are also heavy and require quite a bit of space.
On a new build they may be ok but in that case I would go for over sized fins , which these days have a stationary capability.
Timber boats (planked) are not ideally suited to fin stabilisers with out a considerable amount of reinforcing in the fin area and as a retro fit are bloody expensive and difficult to fit.

Paravanes on the other hand are easily managed , stabilise very well and are effective when at anchor,and in reality are not overly expensive , especially when one is considering making the Boss a happy person.
Cheers
Benn
Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
Guru

Paul,
By the way I know a lot of the older trawler men in Mooloolaba , used to work with a few of them.
When I get a chance I will ask around if anyone knows a bit of Leprechaun's history
Cheers
Benn
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #20

If you could ask around that would be appreciated. I know she was skippered in the 80's by a Michael Matt from Bundy. I talked to him a few years ago and he told me Terry Bird built her and a guy called Sargood was the first owner but I dont think he knew who designed her. She was repowered in the 80's with the cummins. I've put a few photos of her undersides on my profile of her as I think they might remember a hollow heeded sharpie.

Paul.