Almost downunder... nearby storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcarthur

Vessel Name
Blu Emu
Vessel Make
Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Has anyone had experience in keeping a boat in Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore? We're bringing a boat back towards Oz and are yet to decide whether to import and pay the 10% + 5%, or leave her nearby for the next few years. She's a narrow 4.9m wide, 15m long, 16t power cat if that helps, so can pretty easily be hauled/lifted.

We hadn't thought that PNG or Philippines are options, but if anyone has experience there we're happy to listen! Cyclones preclude most of the islands north east past PNG.

Facebook page for "sail south east asia" will provide the answers you need.
I could give a few suggestions but I am not Johnny on the spot.....yet.

Thanks Simi. I did the search in FB but it only came up with a ladies-only group for sailing, not a broad group for the area (stories/questions/comments/reports). I tried different variations with no luck - any other way to connect with it?

I have lived in the Philippines for more then 20 years and have been working in PNG for the last 7. Been to many islands and rivers, usually on LCT's.
The Royal Port Moresby Yacht Club is the only safe place to leave a boat but it is very difficult to get a long term berth there even as a member.
Lae Yacht club is a small friendly club with better cruising and fishing nearby.
Nowhere in PNG is really safe though and if you leave the boat here for more than 1 year they will also be trying to collect tax as the same rate as Australia.
The Philippines has a few okay places like Subic Bay and Puerto Galera but again often difficult to find a berth or mooring.
It's the same in both places though, "The only law you can break is leaving the house without enough cash in your pocket."
So you can usually prolong your stay without paying the tax on your boat.

Attachments

• Manus Is .jpg
    Manus Is .jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Bialla.JPG
    Bialla.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Seeadler.JPG
    Seeadler.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 57
  • Purari River.jpg
    Purari River.jpg