"Afloat" Magazine Letter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
My letter publicising the Forum appears in the May issue of "Afloat magazine, available online (AFLOAT Magazine May 2012) and in print.
I see so many trawlers on Sydney Harbour and Broken Bay there must be many boat-owners who would enjoy Forum membership.
If more Aussies join the Forum we all benefit from increased local contact. We may even be able to get together on the water.
So,a warm welcome to any new Australian Forum users who may make contact after seeing the letter. Please tell us about yourself.
BruceK. Sydney Australia

Good one Bruce , lets see how many this brings out of the wood work.
It would be good to get a bit more Aussie content.

Thanks so much for writing the letter Bruce, nicely done :thumb:

Well done Bruce, let's see if that brings some of them out of the woodwork.

Im with you Bruce.
Arcturus is moored in Middle Harbour. Aggh my American spellchecker is trying to tell me something but I cant see the problem :) A get together would be great.

Im with you Bruce.
Arcturus is moored in Middle Harbour. Aggh my American spellchecker is trying to tell me something but I cant see the problem :) A get together would be great.
Thanks guys,great response. Let`s hope as more people read "Afloat" this month there are newbie responses attracted to this thread.
John (Rebel) and I are the only TF members I know on Sydney Harbour. If there are others,hands up now, please!
John,when are you back from Perth and onboard again? BruceK

Not til August. I have sent an email

My letter publicising the Forum appears in the May issue of "Afloat magazine, available online (AFLOAT Magazine May 2012) and in print.
I see so many trawlers on Sydney Harbour and Broken Bay there must be many boat-owners who would enjoy Forum membership.
If more Aussies join the Forum we all benefit from increased local contact. We may even be able to get together on the water.......
BruceK. Sydney Australia

Bruce, good thought - hold on to it, but I think Benn of Tidahapa would agree, get-togethers can be a bit problematic. Benn and I have been trying to touch base with each other up here for about 3 yrs and we still haven't managed to 'swing' it. We got real close the weekend before Easter, then a mate of his got crook, and Benn was called to work just when we were going to do it. How did that work out for the sick mate Benn - all good there...?

Count one more TF member...though Aquabelle is at Bobbin Head, she visits Sydney Harbour pretty often. Planning to take her north in July...first stop Yamba, then G/Coast then keep going in stages to Whitsundays. Happy to convoy

Attachments

• IMG_5013.jpg
    IMG_5013.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 159
Welcome aboard Aquabelle. I suggest all future communications between us downunder types be conducted on the Downunder segment in the Cruising Boards section, otherwise we might miss each other's posts. From where you are located you might well be able to link up with BruceK, Rebel, and Andy G in Sydney. I suggest you PM them. Then if you do make it up to the Moreton Bay/Gold Coast region in your travels, let me know as well. Then there is Tidahapa Benn up at Mooloolaba.

Good to know there is another boat in the vicinity. Your boat looks a beauty. Good luck with the trip north. Our return to Sydney is delayed by business here in Perth so now seems to be end of January 2013. Disappointing but thats life! Some pics would be good. Bruce K was up in your neck of the woods in March I think. We hope to get there too sometime in 2013 as well. What are the engines that drive your boat?

Rebel: Aquabelle was re-powered (by previous owner) in 1998 with twin Cummins 6BTA 370hp's. Not absolutely sure, but the originals were probably Lehman 135s.

Aquabelle,
Are you guys heading north this year.
I get home to Mooloolaba from the West about 15 July. have to haul Tidahapah for an antifoul job and then all going well will head north for a bit not far this leave but up to Fraser then back to work and after that a bit further north.
All in the lap of the work gods at the moment.

Tidahapah: that is certainly the plan. A bit like you, biz stuff might get in the way but hoping to start the trek in several slow stages in July, x Sydney

Hi All, not wanting to be left out of the Aussie part of the forum. I too am at Mooloolaba and live on our boat with two kids and wife.

We are trying to leave for a three week trip to Musgrave on Tuesday 27 June. Weather now is incredibly good and hoping it stays for our trip to Wide Bay Bar. We will see.

Always keen to cruise with other boats or happy to meet other forum memmbers as they may pass through here. The Mooloolah River bar has been bad this year. Our Marina at Wharf Mooloolaba is pretty empty...lots of boats just not stopping here due to bar conditions now. Today they dredged out the entrance again so should be fine for now...

Getting away for the school holidays are you?
have a good time the river mouth should be better now that the dredging has been completed, but really it has been a pita for quite a while.
Once we only had to worry about the tide to cross the Wide bay bar now you got to figure in both ends.

have a good trip, I won't be getting away until at least the end of July.

Well we got away a few days prior to original departure date. The wind was coming and i wanted to beatit, which we did by a day. Now it is gale warning round Fraser coastarea. We are at Tin Can Bay marina hiding. Shall leave for protected anchorage inStraits. Weather mayimprove by weekend, if not we willbstick to protected areas.

Mate,
Tin Can Marina is a happy little spot.
I had nearly 8/9 months ther when I put the Gardner in last year.
Plent of good places up the Straights while it is still blowing from the S or SE.
Once it gets around to the N or W it gets a bit tricky.
The Susan River has ened up being my hideie hole for numerous of these occasions.
Hope you are all having a good time.
Cheers
Benn

Count one more TF member...though Aquabelle is at Bobbin Head, she visits Sydney Harbour pretty often. Planning to take her north in July...first stop Yamba, then G/Coast then keep going in stages to Whitsundays. Happy to convoy
What a lovely looking boat. As the humble author of the letter to "Afloat",I add my belated welcome aboard (we we`ve been out of Australia); the Australian chapter grows.By now you may be on your way to Yamba;happy cruising north.
Our IG36, Doriana, moved from Bobbin Head about 4 yrs ago (for the info of non Aussies Bobbin Head was the original home base of Halvorsen, not an ocean headland but located at the head of Cowan Creek; the Halvorsen factory was at Putney on Sydney Harbour). She was bought by a Sydney chap who died, we`ve had her 2.5 years.We usually cruise to Broken Bay/Hawkesbury every March for a week enjoying cruising grounds you would know so well.
I hope you derive as much pleasure and assistance from the Forum as we have. BruceK

I'd like some input from fellow Aussie's on re-finishing the exterior of my teak cockpit doors so this doesn't become more of a chore than necessary given our sun. My boat is berthed such that the cockpit doors are facing due north and getting the sun all day long, year round. The surface is now failing rapidly....not sure what the existing coating is but I THINK it is varnish (the interior sides are hi-gloss varnish and remain in good condition). I am going to take the doors off the boat and have them professionally taken back to bare wood. Erik up in Brisbane has sent me photos of his teakwork refinished with TeakSeal, which I am certainly going to use for the caprail on the flybridge/boatdeck. But the caprail on the saloon deck adjacent to the cockpit doors is all hi-gloss varnish and looking good....so the very different TeakSeal look might not be right for the cockpit doors. Reading comments on the forum, main choices seem to be between Cetol (newer, non-orange formulations); varnish (with Epifanes very popular) or Bristol (not used much in Oz I don't think but clearly has a big following in the US).
So what do people think? For someone who doesn't have the time/inclination to do more than a single coat a year to the cockpit doors, what is the best way to go given I'll have the doors down to bare to start?

I'd like some input from fellow Aussie's on re-finishing the exterior of my teak cockpit doors so this doesn't become more of a chore than necessary given our sun. My boat is berthed such that the cockpit doors are facing due north and getting the sun all day.For someone who doesn't have the time/inclination to do more than a single coat a year to the cockpit doors, what is the best way to go given I'll have the doors down to bare to start?
I`m using Cetol TGL Gloss, it has outlasted other common varnishes; at Bunnings it costs about the same,and applies easily. On my cappings I use Deks Olje 1&2, mainly for easy maintenance,but it lacks a bright clear gloss finish.
President Boatshed, Drummoyne (John Minehan, 0291813467) in Sydney has a varnish product they import and claim lasts 9 years,from memory costs around $270-300 for 3 litres.I`ve not tried it.
You could fit canvas covers over the doors for when the boat is in the pen.I`ve even seen canvas covers over exposed teak transoms on parked boats BruceK

Hello,

I will be in Australia for Christmas and New Years. I hope to check out a few boats while in Cairns and Sydney. I'm in the market for a boat, but presently in the learning stages. I'd be interested in places to start my search while down under.

Thank you,
Bill
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI

Hello,

I will be in Australia for Christmas and New Years. I hope to check out a few boats while in Cairns and Sydney. I'm in the market for a boat, but presently in the learning stages. I'd be interested in places to start my search while down under.

Thank you,
Bill
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Hi Bill, Lots of boats for sale in Cairns,and Sydney. The Gold Coast region just north of the NSW/Queensland border is another major boating area. Start your research before leaving home by checking out Used Boats - New Boats - Search New & Used Boats For Sale - BoatPoint Australia and Yachts & Boats for Sale in Australia & New Zealand | Yachthub for thousands of boats available. You can refine your search to cut the field to manageable size. BruceK

Bill: help us to help you....rough budget? type of vessel/anticipated cruising style (marina hopping; weeks at anchor; ocean crossing?)/cruising grounds?

Hello,

I would bring the boat back to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands. East of Guam, East South East of Hawaii. A long haul, but plenty of places for fuel.

The boat would be used for diving, mostly one or two day trips around our lagoon. Kwajalein Atoll, is the largest lagoon in the world. We would like to be able to to travel around the Marshall Islands also.

It will take a LRC. Possibly with extra fuel bladders to make the trip home.
Would like to sleep five, six or seven would be better. That way we could hire out a few dive trips.

Budget, under 90,000.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Take a look at Yachthub, power category, 41-50ft, 1st page of "newest listings" a 44ft "Corso Star Bridgedeck Coastal Cruiser" at $87K. Almost sounds too good to be true. Even if it`s as advertised,in which case it should sell before you get here, I don`t think I`d take the voyage to the Marshalls, but I`m the conservative type. BruceK

BruceK,

Great minds think alike. I had looked at that boat. It is indeed interesting. Bruce, is that a photo of your boat in your profile? Nice looking boat.

Bill, yes that`s "Doriana" a 1981 Island Gypsy 36, Europa version, we`ve owned nearly 3 years and are gradually restoring. Next job is the decks.
Comparing that timber boat on Yachthub to the one after it helps it look like value++, and it looks so good and has so much gear fitted. The Gardner diesel is a plus,they have an enviable reputation for durability and economy.If it is as advertised I doubt it will be around long, but you never know. Maybe a Queensland TF member might offer to look at it, or even know the boat.
Have fun trawling the websites for a trawler. BruceK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom