Zantrex Freedom Inverter 20 Amp AC breaker on CB panel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

I have a Zantrex Freedom 2000 Watt inverter/Battery Charger on our Maniship 400 and its input is rated with 20 amp A/C breaker.

This has shown to open from time to time, when the loads exceed 20 amps. (heaters, microwave etc. is ran.) as it is supposed to......

I looked in the manual and it calls from what I can see for a 30 Amp breaker?

Am I misunderstanding what it says here?

Any reasons why Maniship would have installed a 20 amp rather than the manf recommended 30?

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 40
  • 20-1.JPG
    20-1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 33
You need to assume that the wire is only rated for 20 amps. If you verify that the wire is adequate size to handle 30 amps then you can assume that the wrong breaker was installed.

If all components in a system are rated for 30 amps, the wire and the transfer switch, then a 30 amp breaker is fine. 10 gauge wire is good for 30 amps and the Xantrex's transfer switch is good for 30 amps. So.....use a 30 amp breaker.

Someone at Mainship just pulled the wrong breaker out of the bin and installed it.

David

Check the actual wire size and be SURE it is in fact 10AWG.
If someone goofed with the wrong breaker they could do the same with the wire.

Hello,

This has shown to open from time to time, when the loads exceed 20 amps. (heaters, microwave etc. is ran.) as it is supposed to......

I would think hard about running a heater on an inverter. They're a huge and inefficient waste of battery amp hours.

Clarification - this happens even when shore power is connected...and what concerns me is if we have the heater on, and the breaker opens, then the load goes to the inverter, as the default selection as it's in standby mode. and that's not good..it's happens a few times and it's not good for the wet cell batteries as we all know

My Xantrex Freedom SW 3000 watt inverter allows me to set the breaker size. I told it that it's a 20 amp and it draws about 17 amps max. I am pretty sure you need the optional control panel to set it though. System Control Panel

The diagram you posted is for multiple inverter models. Without seeing a complete diagram for your AC system I wouldn’t want to speculate why they used a 20A breaker, but your 2k inverter isn’t rated for that much output regardless and should probably have similar circuit protection on the output.

Back
Top Bottom