Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Your views on Battery systems

My plan is to install 2 Group 31 batteryies. One inline to each main engine, with on/off switch, plus line to join, just in case. will have 15 Amp Pro mariner bettery charger dedicated just to charge the 2 house batteryies.* Mounted very close to starters for short cable runs. Poet eng. 80 Amp alternater to start batteries.* Then 2 6VDC gulf cart batts. wire together as the house power. I do not anchor out, either running or at dock, plus 15KW Norther lihts. I will put a Master-Volt 30 Amp battery charger to take care of 2 Golf cart batts. and with 30 amps should take care of normal DC loads at dock. Please shoot holes or give me your better ideas to make system the best. Thank you for your views.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
RE: Your views on Battery systems

I would wire both 31's parallel to start both engines and run both alternators to the start batteries. Put single on off switch between the batteries and the starters. Put an ACR between the start and house batteries. If you have a DC main breaker you can use another on off switch to combine all the batteries. If not use a 1-2-both to combine. Won't the 30 amp Mastervolt charge 3 banks?
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #3

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic

Yes, the mastervolt will do 3 banks. I like their construction and full line of vessel electrical equipt.. I just wanted 30 amp out put for dock side DC needs. I will draw out your idea and see how it looks. Thank You.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
FF
Guru

One alt to the starts , one alt to the deep cycles gives the ability to up grade to a 3 stage V regulator ,

should you later decide to anchor out , or go cruising.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #5

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP

If you were going to go to a 3 stage regulator I would still run both (new or modified, 80 amp won't work) alternators to the starts then out an ACR. The ACR will open at 13.5 and the regulator won't switch until 14+. This way all batteries will be topped off.*
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote