Xantrex out...Victron in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

I have an upcoming project next month and we are just about ready to start running some cables etc...

I thought I would share our proposed design..

Victron seems to really have their act together.

The Solar controller is our next phase, no panels installed yet.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• Visio-Victron 1.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 209
When our Xantrex inverter/charger failed we replaced it with a Victron. No complaints in 12 months, I really like being able to monitor SOC on my phone from the salon.

I ran a Xantrex inverter/charger for 8 years, loved it. Bought a new to me MY installed a Victron multplus, hate it. I should have stayed with the Xantrex. For instance, try and run the Victron in inverter mode only, with charger turned off, you need a more expensive interface, and some time to figure out how to make the unit do that in the settings screens. With the Xantrex, one button push, done.

The Brockert

Our Victron switches automatically from inverter to charger depending if there is generator or shore power available or not. No power and it feeds the circuits as an inverter, power available and it charges the batteries and the circuits are fed with generator or shore power. It works with a Blue Seas panel to manually or automatically control what gets fed by the inverter. It switches on so fast the TV does not notice it if you lose power.

What model do you have?

Last edited:
I'm a Magnum (American made and serviced) ecosystem man myself, but that set up looks very cool. Is there an SOC-driven auto generator start function available?

We look forward to hearing about how it all works out!

I have a Multiplus 12/3000/120. I don't want the charger running when shore power is connected. When shore power is connected, I want the charger off, inverter off and in pass thru mode only.

The Brockerts

I'm a Magnum (American made and serviced) ecosystem man myself, but that set up looks very cool. Is there an SOC-driven auto generator start function available?

If you are asking me, I don’t know, having never needed one. We live aboard 365 and anchor many nights so we manually start the generator every day to cook, make water, wash clothes, run 110v davit etc. That keeps the inverter bank charged.

Last edited:
Xantrex make expensive yellow boxes
Victron make expensive blue boxes
Unless you are an expert on what is inside those boxes it is hard to really know much more than that.
Maybe you just ask yourself what you are going to do when it stops working, if you are happy with the answer then you will have a happy life with your new box of whatever hue.

Xantrex make expensive yellow boxes
Victron make expensive blue boxes
Unless you are an expert on what is inside those boxes it is hard to really know much more than that.
Maybe you just ask yourself what you are going to do when it stops working, if you are happy with the answer then you will have a happy life with your new box of whatever hue.

If it stops working I’ll just call a tech to fix it. The same thing I do if my phone dies or my car or my TV or anything else. I am guessing that’s just what you do too if anything in your life that you can’t fix yourself quits working, like the device you wrote your post on or your shoes or your kidneys: Call someone who is an expert.....

Then (like I said) you will have a happy life with your new box.
My point really was, unless you are an expert on the internals, how do you judge that the Victron box is better than the Xantrex box.

Xantrex has a great reputation for dumping support of older models. They will not even keep the circuit diagrams so that independent techs can repair them.

Good luck.

Then (like I said) you will have a happy life with your new box.
My point really was, unless you are an expert on the internals, how do you judge that the Victron box is better than the Xantrex box.

As I said in my first post, the Victron allows me to monitor SOC on my phone. The Xantrex did not. That is enough of a difference for me. In service they seem to function identically.

I have a Multiplus 12/3000/120. I don't want the charger running when shore power is connected. When shore power is connected, I want the charger off, inverter off and in pass thru mode only.

I don't understand, maybe I am missing something here. Why would you want the charger off when on shore power. Surely your 12 volts units like the lights, pumps, toilets etc, still draw from the batteries which would need recharging.

I don't understand, maybe I am missing something here. Why would you want the charger off when on shore power. Surely your 12 volts units like the lights, pumps, toilets etc, still draw from the batteries which would need recharging.

His problem is easily solved by buying any of the several different Victron remote interfaces (including the Bluetooth to the phone one). For most people, this works better as the inverter itself is less accessible. I've had a number of Xantrex and Victron products over the years, and at this point will take Victron 7 days a week.

I've been intrigued by the progress Victron seems to have been making in the past few years. I've got a mastervolt setup that was poorly done by a previous owner and I may switch it out for Victron.

The lower amperage(40amp) factory installed battery charger covers that need just fine and it charges both banks. The Multiplus 120amp charger is a backup and only covers the house bank when needed. I use the Multiplus charger when I'm out and need to replace the charge with the generator run time as short as as possible. That's how I ran my catamaran for years with Xantrex. I know the MY is designed differently and old habits are hard to change.

The Brockerts

I ran a Xantrex inverter/charger for 8 years, loved it. Bought a new to me MY installed a Victron multplus, hate it. I should have stayed with the Xantrex. For instance, try and run the Victron in inverter mode only, with charger turned off, you need a more expensive interface, and some time to figure out how to make the unit do that in the settings screens. With the Xantrex, one button push, done.

The Brockert

So maybe it's too much for you to setup but to be clear the multiplus can do what you want by connecting simple on/off switches to the Aux-1 and Aux-2 inputs. Then yes you do need to load an assistant in the configuration software to tell it what you want those aux inputs to do, but it's not really hard to figure out and quite well documented and nothing special required.
I've set mine to do just that I use aux-1 to turn on-off charging and aux-2 to turn on/off invert via simple SPST switches.

I've got a similar setup to the original post and am a fan of victron stuff too. Love all the options, seeing status via bluetooth. Victron has good forum's available (where you find answers like how to do this), and they are responsive to questions asked there.
I've also geeked out with the Venus OS and got them sending data to my N2K network, signal-k and out to influxDB and grafana.

Hello,

I have an upcoming project next month and we are just about ready to start running some cables etc...

I thought I would share our proposed design..

Victron seems to really have their act together.

The Solar controller is our next phase, no panels installed yet.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Looks good... very similar to what I have setup. In hind sight I'm not sure I'd get the multi control panel again, in fact I may pull it out of my system if I can figure out what to put in that hole. I've added separate switches to turn on/off which gives me more flexibility in turning on/off both charge & invert separately which the multi control panel does not do. As for adjusting the input amps that's been easy enough for me to adjust via the VEConfig software which you can do from any connection to Venus OS.
If you've got a N2K network maybe put the VE can to NMEA2000 connector on your wish list, it just gives more options to see battery and solar states from any display.

With the setup in the original diagram yes there are multiple ways to auto-start a generator.
The BMV can do this.
The Cerbo (VenusOS) can do this.
The MultiPlus can also be configured to do this.

I'm on the Victron forum with some of these issues and slowly working them down. No one there mentioned the Aux-1 and Aux 2 inputs being used as you point out. I'll check into it. I've got my Victron hardwire via the MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) to a Windows PC for access to the different settings.

The Brockerts

I'm on the Victron forum with some of these issues and slowly working them down. No one there mentioned the Aux-1 and Aux 2 inputs being used as you point out. I'll check into it. I've got my Victron hardwire via the MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) to a Windows PC for access to the different settings.

The Brockerts

Sounds like you have what you need. The VE.Bus to USB is really required to configure these as the dip switch option isn't very friendly.
I do think that there is a better document, but here's the link I used that describes the basic setup. This doc talks about LifePO but ignoring that the bottom line is that you can configure the inputs to stop charge and also stop invert with this setup.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Connecting-other-lithium-battery-systems-to-Multis-and-Quattros-EN.pdf

Hope this helps.

I've been intrigued by the progress Victron seems to have been making in the past few years. I've got a mastervolt setup that was poorly done by a previous owner and I may switch it out for Victron.

Not sure how old or what models your Mastervolt set up is, but Mastervolt is top quality stuff. It would be much more economical to get a good electrician on board to get you set up right.

I accidentally uploaded the draft schematic in my original post, here is the real one, much better..yet still a basic guideline...

Attachments

• Visio-Victron 2.pdf
    480.5 KB · Views: 72
Thanks, I've started to review the options on the boat last weekend. It will take a little work but looks doable.

The Brockerts

Victron flexibility

There is no other inverter/charger that permits as much flexibility as does Victron. Power matching capability, auxiliary switching programming via assistants, custom charging profiles, ability to act as a bms with Lfpo4 batteries, etc.. Of course all this end user greater flexibility requires a learning curve to use. I have been very, very happy with Victron who are always developing cutting edge technologies.

Just an opinion!

Over the years I have installed and maintained many inverters and inverter/charger. All the good names (mastervolt, magna, xantrex etc) have been very reliable, functionality may vary while some provide better means to access the information. Customer support can vary wildly.
That being said for over five years now I have recommended Victron products.
I have never had any issue with any of their products. Functionality and flexibility throughout their product line. BUT most important to me is the customer service I receive from my supplier, Peter Kennedy Yacht Supply!
For those of you who have not heard of them I suggest a visit to their site, there is a vast amount of great information there.
Peter is always willing to help and has always responded promptly to any questions or concerns I have had over the years.
And no I dont get paid to advertise for them, its just that is how strongly I feel about the company!!
Just my 2 cents worth.

Agree completely! Pete Kennedy is the go to if in the mid Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay. There are several in Florida that are also class acts. Charlie Johnson JTB Marine in St Petersburg jtbmarine.com, ph 727-323-2500 is retired Nuc Sub officer, former cruiser, an engineer, tech rep/trainer/installer supplier for Victron and sits on the inverter/charger AYBC committee with Nigel Calder writing specs.. No interest other than he did some remarkable installs for me. Warning he is not cheap, very busy but you get superb results.

There is no other inverter/charger that permits as much flexibility as does Victron. Power matching capability, auxiliary switching programming via assistants, custom charging profiles, ability to act as a bms with Lfpo4 batteries, etc.. Of course all this end user greater flexibility requires a learning curve to use. I have been very, very happy with Victron who are always developing cutting edge technologies.

Magnum offers all, or virtually all those features. Excellent, clearly written and thorough documentation. US made with very helpful US based customer support and service. No question Victron is great kit, but personally if I can get the functionality I need from a total US company like Magnum or Outback, then that's the way I am going to go.

And yes, per other posts, Peter Kennedy is a superb tech and supplier, I was very impressed by my two interactions with him.

I like Magnum also, however I am unaware they enjoy "all" the same features of Victron.
If it works for your application that's great. Few of these units are all USA made but are assembled from foreign sourced components. That said I also try to buy American. Hence my trawler was a Great Harbour N-37, the only full displacement Trawler built in the US, Gainesville Florida.

Stay Safe,

Joe

Does anyone on the Forum have experience with the OutBack inverters? Specifically, the OutBack FX2012MT. The prior owner of Dream Catcher had just installed a Xantrex inverter before I bought the boat. It failed in a somewhat exciting way after about 2 years. I definitely don't plan to buy another Xantrex inverter.

I installed a Blue Sea 7532 40A, 3 bank charger to handle battery charging from shore power, but I haven't replaced the inverter. I've been looking at OutBack, Magnum, and Victron inverters. I know this is a Ford versus Chevy versus Toyota question, but I would like to hear about your experience.

Back
Top Bottom