Xantrex Charger fault

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dream Chaser
Vessel Make
38' Marine Trader FB Aft Cabin
I have the Xantrex freedom 30 charger/inverter with the iheart remote panel. No changes in the physical set up since acquiring the boat more than a year ago and it’s worked great until recently.

I’ve started getting an over temp warning and the system stops charging, typical when I can’t get to the boat for a few days and my house batteries get depleted.

All I done so far is to depress the “charge” button when I arrive at the boat and everything seems to start doing what it’s supposed to again.

I can’t seem to find any cause for the over temp fault. The fan on the inverter runs fine, the unit is wall mounted with nothing around it. When running it puts out plenty of juice. Nothing feels unusually warm when it’s running either, at least while I’m on the boat. No new electrical equipment in the system.

Thoughts?

Do you have a battery temperature sensor installed? If so, it may have failed. Disconnect it from the I/C and see if this eliminates the problem. If it does, replace the temperature sensor.

If there is a fan on the charger it may have stopped working.

My electrical guy says that you shouldn't run a Xantrex unless you are actually there with it. They are unreliable and are largely unsupported in the industry. They are the poster child for how not to run a successful business and except that I've already got one (Freedom 25) that only runs with the genset, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I cling to mine because the sucker was expensive but I've seen two in the pile of junk next to the dumpster at my marina.

Having said that, good luck getting it serviced. I really feel your pain!

Back
Top Bottom