Wiring Helm Gauges - Daisy Chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to close this thread out, here's the finished console and some lessons learned:
4339-albums435-picture2547.jpg

- PVC board is pretty easy to work with.
- PVC pipe dope (glue) works well on PVC board (so far - longevity unknown.)
- PVC board gets dirty pretty easily. Use Chlorox wipes or (worst case) fine sandpaper to clean.
- Give yourself 50% more volume behind the console than you expect to need.
I was amazed how tight everything was packed in by the time I was finished.
- Measure everything. Don't believe the specs.
Those so-called 2" gauges needed a 2-1/8" hole. A real pain to file them out!

For my next PVC board project, I'm thinking of making a "glove compartment" forward of my starboard flybridge bench seat. Perhaps a wedge-shaped cushion for reclining on, that hinges to reveal a stowage compartment behind. But first it's some boat yoga in the bowels of the engine compartment to re-plumb my shower sump and air conditioning pumps.

Really like the looks of your updated panel there. It gives me inspiration to do mine. I too need to dig into my aft shower area to find a leak.

Kevin

Thanks for sharing this. I have the same issue and have been trying to come up with a solution and yours is perfect. BTW the yoga term is perfect.

I like the usb outlets. Charging our devices is becoming a giant pia. Another addition to the project list.

If you carry teenagers, they want chargers in the berths. Turns out they are vampires. My Nav station USB charger goes unused, except for my phone....

Also, there is a new breed of USB charged fans. Super quiet, great battery life. OH, and handheld brite flashlights, also USB charged.

Thanks for dredging up this old thread of mine.

Yes to USB ports!! I've got them all over the boat, and it's never enough. Certainly at every berth. Both helms. Tables. Counters. Anywhere there's seating. I recently updated the sofa and built in a USB (and 120VAC) outlet into the arm rest.

Of course now there are newer standards; that 2.1A outlet I installed in 2015 is starting to seem under-powered. The last one I added was one of the new "QC 3.0" types, and I plan to update others:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089SNPYFL?psc=1

Then of course there are even newer standards coming. I think the latest is called "PD."

I found a USB fan at WalMart for about $5.50 and picked it up. That thing works great! I bought two more right away. My wife went out an bought three more to use at home. A guest on the boat liked them so much we bought another one as a gift.

One tip about parasitic loads: The USB outlet I linked above has an on/off button. Not only will it reduce the draw, but it also shuts off the blue back-light, which can become annoying at night (or not - sometimes it makes a nice night light.)

Now I've got to go check out USB charged flashlights!

Last edited:
Thanks for dredging up this old thread of mine.

Yes to USB ports!! I've got them all over the boat, and it's never enough. Certainly at every berth. Both helms. Tables. Counters. Anywhere there's seating. I recently updated the sofa and built in a USB (and 120VAC) outlet into the arm rest.

Of course now there are newer standards; that 2.1A outlet I installed in 2015 is starting to seem under-powered. The last one I added was one of the new "QC 3.0" types, and I plan to update others:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089SNPYFL?psc=1

Then of course there are even newer standards coming. I think the latest is called "PD."

I found a USB fan at WalMart for about $5.50 and picked it up. That thing works great! I bought two more right away. My wife went out an bought three more to use at home. A guest on the boat liked them so much we bought another one as a gift.

One tip about parasitic loads: The USB outlet I linked above has an on/off button. Not only will it reduce the draw, but it also shuts off the blue back-light, which can become annoying at night (or not - sometimes it makes a nice night light.)

Now I've got to go check out USB charged flashlights!
And I have a usb lantern, really nice, a full charge last at least 2 to 3 evening and you can select a bright atmosphere or a wam one, really cozy! One day at anchor I had a problem with my anchor light, I hang the usb light under the arch, I think I was the brightest star in the galaxy [emoji1]

L

I’ve been seeing lanterns in cockpits that dial low. Like an orb, even. Sets a nice mood.

Back
Top Bottom