Wiring Battery to bonding electrode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floater

Veteran Member
I don't have a Trawler yet but I do have a Boston whaler I use for salmon fishing. This season I seem to be scaring away all the fish as all boats around me are hitting double digits. I'm guessing I may have some stray voltage going into the water. Trying to figure it out. One thought I had was to wire the two batteries negative terminals together and then tie that into my bonding electrode that is at the transom below the water line. This electrode only has the aluminum gas tank wired to it. Would that help with any stray voltage issue? Or would I just melt my boat??

Hi Floater:

That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

I'd suggest you buy Nigel Calder's book:

Amazon.com

While you are waiting for the book to arrive, you might wish to watch this Youtube series:

You can start at about 8 minutes in on the first video.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Thanks for the link. I've been watching this guy for months now. He gives out lots of info but never seems to show how to do anything. I went out today and grounded the smaller motor to the main outboard and it didn't make any difference to the stray voltage. I grounded the battery negative to the bonding electrode wire and that didn't help either. i realized that this spring I moved my depth finders transducer wire into the wiring tunnel below deck that is usually flooded with water. I moved the wire back to under the gunnel and hope this may have been the issue. I will retest/fish on friday and hope that was the issue. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom