Old 08-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
wiring another 12 amp draw through 15 amp receptacle

Because of the way my inverter is wired-Victron Multiplus 3000-I need to power two 1250watt heaters on my one non-inverter circuit which has two 15amp receptacles. This is for heating while in storage for the winter here in Alaska. The wiring is 12awg 105c. I plan on replacing the current 20amp breaker with a 30amp. As understand my wiring tables, the wiring should be fine for for the intended use. My question is whether the first receptacle can handle the 1250watt load as well as pass on the additional 1250watt load through the terminals on the back safely.

Thanks, Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
It should be fine, but you can always use the screw terminals as a junction block and put both hot wires on the same screw and both neutral wires on the same screw.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Best practice us to insure terminations are rated for the max wire temperature. IME, terminations go as high as 75deg C.
So, unusual to allow 30A with 12AWG.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
30 amp is usually 10 gauge wire. I would not use 12 gauge for 30 amp. Particularly if the boat is unattended during winter storage.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:01 PM   #5

City: Duvall, WA
I've seen 15A receptacles that can do 15A passthrough, and 15A receptacles that can do 20A passthrough. You're essentially asking for 20A continuous if not a hair above. On land, code says continuous loads should be limited to 80% so 16A.

I'd go back to the beginning. Start at your source, and follow the path with a fine-toothed comb. EVERYTHING in the path should be ready to handle the continuous loads you're asking for.
pjtemplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
I wouldn’t do it. 30amp breaker needs #10. 15 amp receptacles are heavily loaded continuously, unattended.
I would either, reduce wattage, or upsize wire and receptacle ratings. Those continuously loaded circuits are the ones that always seem to have trouble.
I also wouldn’t feel good running that much wattage on a single 30amp twistlock plug continuously.
I realize there might be limitations as to what’s available, but having the whole thing fail halfway through the winter would suck.
If I have to run two heaters on a30a service, I choose ones that move a lot of air, and can run at 750 watts or so. You stay cooler, but the air flow helps a lot.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
Guru

Thank you for the replies. I have decided to go with another solution to my problem. I'm will be removing one of the breakers from the inverter side of my panel and moving it and the corresponding neutral over to the non-inverter sides to use for the other heater.

Concerning ampacity of 12awg 105c wire, my table shows that outside of engine spaces the wire is rated for 45 amps. Of course, terminations and such should be able to handle the load and temperature. This was my original question concerning the pass-through capabilities of a 15 amp receptacle.

Tator
Old 08-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
What table are you using?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #9
Guru

1994 ABYC Table V-A. Used it when rewiring our entire boat in 2004. My mentor and guru was a boat electrician in Port Townsend WA named Phil. Can't remember his last name at this time.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #10
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
12 AWG wire can support up to 45A...if the run is very, very short, voltage drop isn't a concern, and it doesn't ever pass through an engine room.

To get to a 45A rating on a table, you'd probably have to be looking at 7 or 8 feet of total circuit length, an unbundled run, 10% voltage drop being okay, and never touching an engine room space.

Maybe the 10% drop is okay for a heater. I am skeptical that the wiring will never pass through an engine room. And, if have no idea if you are bundling the wires with others or not.

And, I really suspect you are miss reading the table for length. I can barely get out of my panel with 7-8ft.

Before looking up the length in the table, measure the run, including all of the bends, etc -- and then double it.

The tables use the circuit length, not the wire length. For AC this means the sum of the length of the black and white wires, combined. For DC this means the same or the red and black/yellow wires combined.

A 15ft unbundled run, which is a 30ft circuit running at any point through the engine room and required to supply 30 at no more than 10% drop would require 10 AWG.

If the wires are bundled, another aggressive derating needs to happen. If the circuit needs to have less than a 10% tolerance for voltage drop, another delegating needs to happen.

West Marine has this nice table with info about how to derate so you can verify what I write (always necessary) and find a solution given your actual situation.

https://www.westmarine.com/west-advi...-Ampacity.html
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #11

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
The West Marine percentage drop (3% and 10%) tables specifically refer to 12 VDC, not AC.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
STB
Guru

Based upon psneeld's post below I decided to run some numbers through the ABYC calculator app.

Even controlling for a 10% drop, they do allow more current for AC than DC for the same conductor size for many parameter ranges.

I am at a loss as to why. But, I stand corrected and have edited this post to avoid misleading anyone.

For the curious, I have attached an AC ampacity table.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiresize_tables_abyc.pdf (178.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have never met or read anyone that used the same tables for AC and DC.

Not even close in my book.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
lots of electricians here, lol. i think tator has a pretty good handle on his wiring, i've seen pictures of the project and it was done quite nicely.
but that 45 amp rating (in all of my books) is for one conductor in free air. if there's 3 in the bundle or raceway, that drops to less than 35. still more than i load my #12 wire. i use 20 amps as my baseline as my bundles are usually quite big, and they always seem to go through the machinery space.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:36 PM   #15
STB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
but that 45 amp rating (in all of my books) is for one conductor in free air.
I may have missed it in the thread, but what is the circuit length? What does that mean w.r.t. the voltage drop? And is that acceptable to the user for this application?

If it is a resistive heater, maybe losing more than 10% of the heat it could be putting out to the wiring in the engine room is okay for this install. Maybe it wouldn't be to another user. That's fine and fine.

If it is a compressor based heat pump, maybe not so good for anyone.

In any case, I'm curious about the circuit length. Otherwise I just can sort it in my head.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #16
STB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have never met or read anyone that used the same tables for AC and DC.

Not even close in my book.
I don't understand why, but when I used the ABYC app it agrees with you. It does allow more AC current than DC current through the same conductor size for many parameter ranges.

I need stand to figure out why, but I stand corrected on this one. I've seemingly been oversized my wire.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:04 PM   #17
Guru

Its not the ac vs dc. Its the circuit voltage. A 3 volt drop has much more impact on a 12v circuit, than 120v.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:24 PM   #18
STB
Guru

Dave,

What is confusing me is that when I used the ABYC calculator app, I controlled for voltage drop by percentage as I explored the parameter space.

In my mental model, skin effect doesn't matter enough to care for these frequency ranges and conductor diameters. (and would favor DC, anyway), so one should be able to use a base ampacity chart, then derate for allowable drop by circuit length, then derate for conductors by bundle size. But, the ABYC calculator didn't bear that out.

I am now wondering if the duty cycle of the AC has an impact that I'm not thinking about. I had assumed using an RMS voltage vs peak voltage would compensate for that well enough (though not exactly) but maybe not. It may be effect that the cooling time during the lower voltage periods more than makes up for heating time during the higher voltage periods. That isn't intuitive to me, but my model for heating copper wire with current is way less well formed than my mental models for current density and voltage drop.

I'm now really curious what's going on with the ABYC's recommendations here, because I don't understand them
Old 08-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #19
Guru

wiring another 12 amp draw through 15 amp receptacle

STB: There are two forces at work. Insulation getting hot, and voltage disappearing at the load.
Both need to be satisfied.
Yes, on the skin depth on 60Hz, non-existent on DC, which uses the full conductor cross section. AC does not. 60 Hz SD is around 1/3”. So, you need >1” dia cable for that to be a worry.

The gauge table tells you that 45Amps will result in a 105 deg 12AWG conductor, given a certain ambient. Thus the ER limitation, and the bundling limitation.
In a vacuum spacecraft, yet another thermal challenge!

PS. Try using absolute V drop, rather than %. Or, try a solution for a 1 foot run. That will essentially ignore Vdrop

PPS: i usually use Southwire app. It tops out at 75 deg tho. I would not be designing any home or boat circuit to run over 30 deg C rise
Old 08-19-2022, 01:47 PM   #20
STB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
STB: There are two forces at work. Insulation getting hot, and voltage disappearing at the load.
Both need to be satisfied.
Yes, on the skin depth on 60Hz, non-existent on DC, which uses the full conductor cross section. AC does not. 60 Hz SD is around 1/3”. So, you need >1” dia cable for that to be a worry.

The gauge table tells you that 45Amps will result in a 105 deg 12AWG conductor, given a certain ambient. Thus the ER limitation, and the bundling limitation.
In a vacuum spacecraft, yet another thermal challenge!

PS. Try using absolute V drop, rather than %.
I'm totally with you on all of this. But why were the results I was seeing in the calculator so very different between AC and DC when I controlled for wire temperature rating, wire length, current, and voltage drop as a percentage?

Certainly a 10% drop is more painful for more 12vdc applications than 120vac applications. But, the app only let me control for drop by percentage, so I can't get another type of data point for it. And, in any case, I'm not understanding what I am seeing.

Thanks!