Wire Tracer and Tone Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
Newb question...

This is a follow-up from another thread about trying to find my autopilot brain.

This tool was suggested. Question is using when tool to find the brain, do I attach tone generator to cabling from for fluxgate compass or head unit and hunt around looking for the other end?

Watching video on you-tube for its use does not seem to fit this description.

Thanks in advance

In my experience you can attach the tone generator clip to either end of any single wire, even a wire coat hanger, and then use the probe or sensor to trace or follow the tone, or to identify the wire at the other end. In other words, doesn't matter which direction or which end you clip the tone generator to, it'll generate the tone all along the wire. I have a relatively cheap one (less than $100, should have bought a better one they're so useful) but mine is good for about 12" away from the "singing" wire itself inside a bulkhead or underground. The closer you are with the probe, the clearer and louder the tone. When you're right on it, you'll know.

KT...thanks for this! As I have never needed one before, and see no other uses ahead, I was going with a one-time use grade, Amazon highly rated unit, albeit inexpensive, unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APD16D2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

This crap and I should upgrade? My guess is the better the unit the further away it will pick up tone?

The problem with them is when there are multiple wires in a chase the signal can bleed over into other wires so it is difficult to pick out the correct one.

The problem with them is when there are multiple wires in a chase the signal can bleed over into other wires so it is difficult to pick out the correct one.

but when you touch the nose of the probe on the insulation of the wire you are looking for in the bundle it tells you very clearly.

Back
Top Bottom