Old 10-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Olga, WA
Vessel Name: Gallivant
Vessel Model: Northern Marine 64
Wind/Weather Sensor

I'm looking for an NMEA 2k weather sensor suggestion. I have an airmar 220wx but it seems to be failing (it's still newish). Also, I can't configure the damn thing because their software doesn't work on Windows 11.

Ideally, it would have no moving parts like the airmar and easy-to-use configuration software.

If I can't find something other than an airmar, I'm considering the 110wx and letting software compute true speed.

Suggestions?
mikehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehar View Post
I'm looking for an NMEA 2k weather sensor suggestion. I have an airmar 220wx but it seems to be failing (it's still newish). Also, I can't configure the damn thing because their software doesn't work on Windows 11.

Ideally, it would have no moving parts like the airmar and easy-to-use configuration software.

If I can't find something other than an airmar, I'm considering the 110wx and letting software compute true speed.

Suggestions?
Just out of curiosity what is the 220 doing that seems to be failing? Just wondering what to look out for.
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Olga, WA
Vessel Name: Gallivant
Vessel Model: Northern Marine 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Just out of curiosity what is the 220 doing that seems to be failing? Just wondering what to look out for.
The COG has started to go nuts, so much so that it was confusing the autopilot even though it is not the primary GPS. I was able to filter that out for my chart plotter, but it still is causing some problems with some systems. Last night the wind decided it was blowing 80kts instead of 10kts. It has been going back and forth between believable wind and hurricane wind all morning.

I think the thing that really bothers me is the lack of being able to configure it other than by driving the boat in circles. I'm offshore of California right now, so I don't want to do anything too drastic to make it work.
mikehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
I wonder if perhaps a bug or something got stuck up there?
Anyways good discussion as I’m always looking for other sensors for future improvements.
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #5

City: Bristol, RI
Vessel Name: Rachel J
Vessel Model: 2003 Ellis 36 Express Cruiser
Airmar Weather Station

I had a similar unit but the problem was the GPS chip became outdated. I sent it back to Airmar via their sales operation in the Carolinas and got the unit repaired and factory tested. They wanted to charge me about $150 for the repair but relented when I said I paid about $1200 for the unit and it shouldn't fail to operate after only 5 years. Got the repair for free.

Send it back and get it tested, likely a lot cheaper than paying/buying a replacement.
Warnercons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I really like the data these provide, but fingers crossed, it hasn’t failed yet. They aren’t cheap. That said the barometric pressure display isn’t working.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote