WiFi Extenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Next month we are moving to a marina with weak wi-fi signal. Time to outfit Skinny Dippin' with a wi-fi extenter. What works? What doesn't? What's new?

Thanks!

Tom-

Our little $35 Alpha is incredible. We will often go from two sources using the laptop's antenna to over 20 with the Alpha. I have connected to sources over a mile away. For the money I can't imagine anything comparing. I would buy the company if I could. I'm using it right now, five bars with it one bar without.

My primary source is the Verizon hotspot on my phone and my grandfathered unlimited data (avg 22gig a month, yes!!)

Last edited:
I'm using a Rogue Wave with router. Cant compete with some others on price, but its an all-inclusive deal.
Welcome to Wave Wifi, the #1 Name in Marine Wifi, Yacht Wifi, Marina Wifi & Wireless Internet

It is very easy to setup and having a WiFi hotspot on the boat is convenient for multiple devices on board, including a WiFi enabled printer. The Rogue is a re-labelled Ubiquiti Bullet bundled with a user interface. I've had over 4 miles reception - joining the Washington State Ferries free WiFi service as they cross Puget Sound.

We have been taking our home Clearwire ISP with us to the boat. Plug it in, let it acquire the signal and it's business as usual for us. Less than $40/month so may buy a second service and just leave it aboard permanently.

Our little $35 Alpha is incredible. We will often go from two sources using the laptop's antenna to over 20 with the Alpha. I have connected to sources over a mile away. For the money I can't imagine anything comparing. I would buy the company if I could. I'm using it right now, five bars with it one bar without.

My primary source is the Verizon hotspot on my phone and my grandfathered unlimited data (avg 22gig a month, yes!!)

Does this antennae have to make a physical connection to the phone? Can't tell from the information I can find online. Thanks.

Does this antennae have to make a physical connection to the phone? Can't tell from the information I can find online. Thanks.

No, it's a WIFI antenna for the computer. USB connection, plug and play.

Daddyo- Can you post a link to the alpha you have?

Thanks JohnP

This is what we use. I get about twice the signal strength as an external laptop antenna. I think the system advertised on line use the same components for 2 or 3 times the cost.
Dave

Amazon.com: Alfa Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Outdoor 12dBi Antenna - 2.4/2.5GHz 3.7-Feet long Weatherproof antenna With N Female Connector: Electronics

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti BULLET-M5-HP Outdoor 802.11n M5HP: Computers & Accessories

I have a similar setup except that I use the
Ubiquiti BULLET-M2-HP Outdoor 802.11b/g M2HP

mounted to the
Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna (EAG-2408)

That assembly is then mounted up on the radar arch. A LAN cable from the M2 then goes down to a Linksys AP in a v-berth locker. The approach allows me to have multiple devices, laptops, phones, etc all sharing the same external connection. This works well, and has the benefit that I only have to change the M2's connection when I change locations. All of the other devices are associated with my Linksys AP.

I went with an 8dBi antenna so that I had a little more vertical beamwidth. I think this works better around here as many of the AP's are located well above the water on the surrounding hills.

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed from Jersey to Jekyll Island...sometimes the big marinas wifi is SO SLOW...no matter what antenna you have it can be frustrating. Wehave a verizon hot spot for those occasions.

At even some of the big, expensive marinas having the wifi extender was helpful because I could find a more usable connection from the surrounding community.

What seems bad is that travelling off peak season and still having slow connection problems. The tough times are during peak computer use times...first thing in the AM and from around 4-6PM.

I gave up on extenders and got a Verizon mobile hot spot. It works just about everywhere on the AICW and it's great to be underway and be able to use activecaptain.com to find the closest marina and read reviews. Or to stay in touch while anchored for the night in the middle of nowhere.

What we really enjoy using the wifi extender is the ability to stream video, movies, TV, Skype without paying extra for it or hitting the max 20gig limit.

I can understand that many don't need or want that ability...but as a full time liveaboard and extended cruiser it rounds out the living experience. Especially with family sand friends spread out over the globe.

We have been taking our home Clearwire ISP with us to the boat. Plug it in, let it acquire the signal and it's business as usual for us. Less than $40/month so may buy a second service and just leave it aboard permanently.

+1!

We've had Clearwire for 3 years. Currently, it's feeding 7 devices and has been pretty reliable. Unlimited data, $40/month- all good. Plus, we can use it in many areas of Puget Sound while at anchor, on mooring balls, or at guest docks.

I gave up on extenders and got a Verizon mobile hot spot. It works just about everywhere on the AICW and it's great to be underway and be able to use activecaptain.com to find the closest marina and read reviews. Or to stay in touch while anchored for the night in the middle of nowhere.

That's what I finally broke down and got.
Now no worries about getting a signal or having to pay a daily rate or deal with a weak or slow connection.

Another important consideration is security. The free or pay for Wifi have no security. Don't use it to connect to a bank or other needed secure site. Even if the website has https, the connection from your computer to the Wifi server is not secure.
Check this out for more info on the security issues surrounding open Wifi
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2010-11-17.php

Clearwire looks like a great deal but pretty limited service for those on the East Coast traveling the ICW...so it's usually back to a combination of the 2 until I can afford sat dish setups...:D

Where are you moving the boat to?

Pecan Grove

My hope is to supply the passive POE with the wireless router and still be 12v compliant to run at anchor. So I think I am going to try this route. Tell me if it will work:

Ubiquiti BULLET-M5-HP Outdoor 802.11n M5HP

Black GMYLA 150Mbps Portable Wireless Router AP121U 802.11n AP/Support USB (1x USB, 1x LAN, 1x WAN) with 12V DC Jack (US Plug)

Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna (EAG-2408)

**EDIT** Nope... It will not. The router I was picking was POWERED by POE and didn't SEND it. So I opted for a small POE injector and I will use an older Cisco router I have.

Thanks for y'all help. When Bess' cell plan expires, we'll probably go to Verizon and get her a little jet pack mobile hotspot device.

Tom-

Last edited:

Oddly, my hotspot is not combimned with or connected to my cell phone. There was no discount for having both with Verizon so you could just go ahead and get it now or whenever you need it.

I apologize if these two options have already been covered but we have used both a Cisco RE1000 and an Amped Wireless 600 mW. We're using the Amped Wireless right now & I think I like it slightly better than the Cisco product but that one served us well also. It wasn't designed for outdoor use and my "solution" of encasing it in a ziploc baggie likely didn't extend its life expectancy. The Amped product is happily (and dryly) situated under the flybridge forehead. It has omni antennas whereas the Cisco was very directional. Ultimately no matter what you do for range extension it comes down to how big the pipe is on the other end and often it is woefully inadequate. So you can have wonderful access to the shoreside router but if it is overloaded then you still don't have good access.

Ultimately no matter what you do for range extension it comes down to how big the pipe is on the other end and often it is woefully inadequate. So you can have wonderful access to the shoreside router but if it is overloaded then you still don't have good access.

That's where it came down in my decision to bring my wireless home internet connection along with us. We already pay for the service and if it sits at home and doesn't get used or comes along with us and gets used the cost is the same. I've been using Clearwire for about 5 years as my ISP and am completely satisfied with it.

I find most public WiFi connections to be overloaded and slow.

We got a nice discount with Verizon wireless for our hotspot...free hotspot hardware and reduced monthy payments plus the flexibility when not cruising to reduce it to 1 GB and only pat around $10 a month so we can travel with it if we leave the boat.

This works according to some folks......

The WirieAP: Long Range Boat WiFi and RV WiFi

This is what we have on Rochepoint, works great. Even have wifi at the marina in the tin shed from my buddies house 1/4 mile away. Use it to remote access the laptop nav system anywhere on the boat and share between computers. Club members use it on club cruises, if I share my password:eek:

I have a WirieAP for sale once I get home in a week or so. Works well, used about a week then my marina put a repeater right behind my boat.

This is what we have on Rochepoint, works great. Even have wifi at the marina in the tin shed from my buddies house 1/4 mile away. Use it to remote access the laptop nav system anywhere on the boat and share between computers. Club members use it on club cruises, if I share my password:eek:

I also have this and agree that it works very well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom