WiFi Extenders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a link to our blog posts for the progression of our WiFi set up that we have been using for years. The original equipment still works great now but we have upgraded to the newer Bullet and the cost has been very low compared to off the shelf units. It does take a little set up time but nothing terribly complicated. Chuck
The Trawler Beach House: WiFi

Wow... $350 for the base model? OUCH! I spent less than $100 yesterday on antenna, Bullet, and POE injector (I am going to use an old Cisco router I have to convert to 802.11b/g). We'll see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.

One thing you might check on your "old" Cisco router, is whether or not it will do automatic frequency/channel selection. When I put my system together, I spent $30 to buy a refurbished Linksys E1550-RM. When I connect the bullet to a marina's Wi-Fi, the Linksys will automatically choose a frequency that won't interfere with the bullet.

If you don't have automatic frequency selection, for faster data you may find that you have to configure the Cisco router's frequency manually after you connected the Bullet to a hot-spot.

Here is a link to our blog posts for the progression of our WiFi set up that we have been using for years. The original equipment still works great now but we have upgraded to the newer Bullet and the cost has been very low compared to off the shelf units. It does take a little set up time but nothing terribly complicated. Chuck
The Trawler Beach House: WiFi

Where do you think I got the idea from in the first place? :thumb:

Wow... $350 for the base model? OUCH! I spent less than $100 yesterday on antenna, Bullet, and POE injector (I am going to use an old Cisco router I have to convert to 802.11b/g). We'll see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.

Well I tried an Island Time system with the bullet and POE and I could not get it to work, even with help.
The wirie worked frst time every time and was so much easier to install. To me it was well worth the $$.
To each his own.

Fortunately, I work at the world's largest networking company. ;-) Help is just a cube or two away!

I had good luck with Island time...wonder if just a few months or so makes a difference in ease of setting up with their software...I bought mine last November and has worked great ever since.

I had good luck with Island time...wonder if just a few months or so makes a difference in ease of setting up with their software...I bought mine last November and has worked great ever since.

We've had the Island Time for over a year now and have been very pleased. We are full time liveaboards and use it daily. We had questions about setup and customer service was excellent. (our boat is Island Time but no connection to the company -- just a happy customer)

We've had the Island Time for over a year now and have been very pleased. We are full time liveaboards and use it daily. We had questions about setup and customer service was excellent. (our boat is Island Time but no connection to the company -- just a happy customer)

I had several e mails with the owner. Then spent 2 hours on the phone with him. Everything on my laptop checked with what he was looking for however the system would not work. I was only able to get him to agree to a refund after I threatened to call my credit card company.
He tried but failed. That was summer 2011. Maybe he got some bad components, and I ended up with one. I don't know.

I had several e mails with the owner. Then spent 2 hours on the phone with him. Everything on my laptop checked with what he was looking for however the system would not work. I was only able to get him to agree to a refund after I threatened to call my credit card company.
He tried but failed. That was summer 2011. Maybe he got some bad components, and I ended up with one. I don't know.

Wow, that is a real bummer. I have been using a system from IslandTime for 2 years now. I work full-time from the boat so I decided to buy a second one as a backup. In my case the setup was painless and has worked from day one. Right this moment we have three PCs working through boat's network and have had as many as six. The only downside is when I am in those areas where I can not find a good WiFi signal. I currently use BBX/Beacon as my ISP and pay <$200/yr.

Marty................................

I've used Engenius wireless bridges and access points with power over ethernet at remote sites and they work pretty well as long as you leave them alone. That is the general problem with wireless bridges. I've looked at all the available solutions and the Wirie is about twice the price of a wireless bridge, omnidirectional outdoor antenna, antenna cable, ethernet cable, and a cheap wireless router. However, the WirieAP seems to be a pretty tightly wrapped product that solves one problem with most off the shelf internet products, the Wirie has a single 12VDC connection. The powering simplicity, low power draw, and one box doing it all is worth the additional $175. I was about to cobble a system together since I have done it before for remote site clients. After seeing the Wirie, no more collecting parts, this is what I am going to use because even my wife will be able to set it up.

Tom

Just as an aside.... If you are trying to install a secondary antenna or extender via USB or other wired connection.... If you cannot establish proper function of the device.... The problem may be caused by your anit-virus and or firewall software.

When I was installing mine....the anti-virus/firewall software I use ("Vipre") did not like the antenna software. I had to uninstall the Vipre, install the antenna and re-install Vipre.... Everything was fine after that.

This is what we use. I get about twice the signal strength as an external laptop antenna. I think the system advertised on line use the same components for 2 or 3 times the cost.
Dave

Amazon.com: Alfa Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Outdoor 12dBi Antenna - 2.4/2.5GHz 3.7-Feet long Weatherproof antenna With N Female Connector: Electronics

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti BULLET-M5-HP Outdoor 802.11n M5HP: Computers & Accessories

Soooo, I am quoting my own message!
I had to relocate my antenna due to my new bridge enclosure. Instead of doing that I decieded to give the Alfa AWUS036NHR a shot. It beats the heck out of my other antenna and I can just sit it inside the boat on the table. :thumb: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-Alfa-A...SB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item1e6dcb368f
Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom