WIFI card with external antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I'm looking for a PCMCIA WIFI card with an external antenna connection. Any good one in particular that anyone knows of?

That is pretty old technology since there are a variety of WiFi boosters, antennas, etc. that connect to the computer via USB or Ethernet that are much more powerful and easier to find and use. Chuck

The laptop I need it for is ancient and only gas a 1.0 USB and PCMCIA. I believe the PCMCIA would be faster then using the USB. My main connection is a Verizon MIFI card but sometimes I don't have the MIFI with me therefor the WIFI. I have an antenna and card just not a card with an antenna jack.

DO:
I have one of those, I bought it years ago, from Broadband express, together with a little antenna that it connects to (They may still have them, check their website). Then I bought a new laptop, and I couldn't tell the diff in speed. with the anetta and card connected, from the computer's internal antenna.
Then I bought a newer laptop, and don't use it even for a lark, as it is so slow.
Like Chuck says, pretty old technology. Not worth the effort. You will likely be getting a newer laptop in any event.

You may very well find in the end a new computer is cheaper than the card and antenna if you find it and it will be slow. You can buy some pretty basic computers for a couple of hundred dollars. Chuck

We use a card from Buffalo, and an antenna mounted on our radar arch.* Not sure how it compares to newer technology, but it works fine for us, and allows us to find WIFI connections far from shore. Biggest downside is the fragile antenna connector...............Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Sunday 21st of February 2010 10:19:09 PM

Yes it is a Verizon MIFI card. The card is great and Verizon coverage is great but sometimes the card is at the dirt house and the boat is at the marina and our slip is out of range for the marina wifi without an antenna.

Well it does look like a USB 2.0 would be faster then a PCMCIA and my computer does have 2.0 USB so I'm looking for a USB wifi card w/external antenna capability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom