WiFi Antennas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
In the past I have seen articles about installing wifi antennas on boats to allow better reception.* Do any of you guys have experience with this?* What did you use? How did you like it?*

I have a Rogue Wave www.wavewifi.com and love it. Truth be told, I still have to physically install the exterior antenna but the weather has been too cold for me to want to do it! :)
I've wired it up and used it multiple times and so far it seems to work great....big boost in wifi signal. I am also installing a wifi router on the boat that the rouge wave will plug into and then the router will transmit that wifi signal throughout the boat.

Staying connected is nice. :)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 14th of January 2011 04:50:22 PM

Woodsong wrote:

I have a Rogue Wave www.wavewifi.com and love it. Truth be told, I still have to physically install the exterior antenna but the weather has been too cold for me to want to do it! :)
I've wired it up and used it multiple times and so far it seems to work great....big boost in wifi signal. I am also installing a wifi router on the boat that the rouge wave will plug into and then the router will transmit that wifi signal throughout the boat.

Staying connected is nice. :)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 14th of January 2011 04:50:22 PM
********** This looks like a pretty well tought out system,* Whats the appox cost?

Practical Sailor this month has a good look , as well as "roll your own".

i use the 5 mile wifi antenna with the small booster they provide...it works well

We use our HTC EVO with the "Hot Spot."

SeaHorse II wrote:

We use our HTC EVO with the "Hot Spot."
Amen to that!!! *Definitely a viable alternative and you can use it whenever you want....assuming you have a signal!!!

JohnP wrote:

Capn Chuck wrote:

Here is ours,
[url]http://tinyurl.com/62d72h[/url]
[url]http://tinyurl.com/qkjw7o[/url]

Chuck

I remember seeing your website before but could not place it.* Nice job and thanks for posting!

Your welcome John. Our set up has worked very well for us for years. We had fast connections in the Bayous of Louisiana when no signs of civilization was present. We were able to do some accurate measurements for some connection in our travels, and were able to pick up a good usable signal over two miles away. Chuck

Back
Top Bottom