Why Welding Cable Should NOT Be Use on Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieJ

These photos are from two different mid to late 80's Taiwan built trawlers.

Photo #1 was the B+ feed at the battery switch on the panelboard. Photo's #2 and #3 were from a different boat and were in that boat's main B+ feed to the battery switch on the panel board. Both of these defects were hidden behind vessel structure that had to be cut away to gain access. The defect in Photo #3 was "repaired" using a wrap of electrical tape. Note how, even though the defect was wrapped and inside the vessel's structure, moisture had corroded the uber thin, un-tinned strands of wire.

Attachments

• Welding Cable - 1 copy.jpg
    Welding Cable - 1 copy.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Welding Cable 2.jpg
    Welding Cable 2.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Welding Cable 3.jpg
    Welding Cable 3.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 153
The heavy conductors on my boat were all welding cable. I fortunately did not have severe issues as you illustrated and at this point all of the welding cable in my boat has been replaced with the far superior BC-5W2 boat cable.

I have seen plenty of older boats with welding cable used .....plus my boat .....with no issues....

its all in the install and wuality of the cable.

I have also seen solid wire used ....and its not illegal,.....just not ABYC suggested.

But it can work fine in the right application.

While best practices are appreciated....wayyyyyy to much fear mongering spead in this site.

I was scared before I ever found this site, I have a substantial investment in tinned wire and a professional to do the wiring

Back
Top Bottom