Old 11-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
My boat has 4- I20-30amp receptacles of which only one is hot when on shore power. The other 3 are hot only when the inverter is switched to on.

I finally got the make and model number off the unit and it appears that I have an inverter only! It's a Victron 48/1200 and I got this statement off their site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
sounds like you do not have shore power going through the inverter to the inverter only plugs. Is it and inverter or an inverter/charger?
If you want all plugs to work on shore power AND/OR inverter the plugs need to be wired through a manual transfer switch.
Or you turn the inverter while plugged in all the time you need a non shore power plug.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
there are quite a few topics i don't comment on or try and post schematics that may or may not have anything to do with the thread topic....not because of the differences in inverters, but the unknown of how the boat is wired.

Again i am not trying to cause confusion in a topic by taking it into what ifs...i was just trying to answer walt's dilemma.

Peace! I just deleted my controversial post
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
WALT...it may be similar to my boat in that all but one of my outlets runs through the inverter to a sub-panel just for outlets. My odd ball outlet is reserved for high amperage items.

Because my inverter does have a pass through relay, the "outlet" panel can be powered either way....from shore or the batteries inverted.

My only guess is they saved some bucks on not installing a switching relay or inverter with one built in. But I also see the simplicity in their design if its what I am guessing.
That's what I've been thinking. Like I said, the boat works well and if I plug an appliance into one of the 3 outlets, I just have to turn the inverter on and there is a toggle switch to do that. It's no big deal!
Attached Thumbnails
Victron Phoenix 48:1200 Inverter.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:46 PM   #24

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yeah!!!!

... they MUST be isolated from the boat's grounding system.

Consider an electrical schematic that resembles the letter H where the load is connected in the middle of the bar in H.

+170V
__|__
| |
\ |
|-**-|
| \
|___ |
|
0 Volts

+170V
__|__
| |
| \
|-**-|
\ |
|___ |
|
0 Volts

This is the standard so called H bridge with the ** being the load. Notice that current each side of the load is alternately connected to 170V depending on which switch is closed and the switches close alternately at 60 times per second. NEVER IS THE OUTPUT TERMINALS CONSTANTLY TIED TO GROUND as house hold power is via its grounded conductor. IF you tie one side of your inverter's output to ground you create a short circuit and possibly destroy your inverter...
This is incorrect. The bridge operates on the 'Hot' wire only. The 'Neutral' wire is a grounded conductor, as in household systems. In an Inverter/Charger, the transfer relay disconnects the ground to neutral bond when transferred to incoming power and connects it when inverting. In an Inverter only the G and N are permanently connected. In either case, the output neutral conductor must be kept isolated from the vessel neutral buss when any other source is providing power. Otherwise, a ground-loop will exist and current will flow in the grounding circuit. This is a portion of the load current which should all flow through the N wire but is finding a shared path through the improper G-N connection. Voltage produced by this fault current is impressed on underwater metal parts and causes corrosion and premature depletion of anodes.