Who uses a fog horn in the fog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Operating in Fog

After years of Naval Officer training, we go by the numbers in fog: sounding all fog signals, one observer as far forward as possible looking and listening, slowing to a speed that would allow us to come to a full stop in less than half of the distance of the visibility, using the AIS and radar features available to track all contacts and maintaining a clear situational awareness. Our old Selene 55 had an automated whistle sounding feature, but we are forced to time our signals manually with our current boat (making sure that we do not sound precisely at the two minute points). Finally, we never assume that the others out there in the soup are going to do things right.

Mike Curreri

M/V Bravo Zulu (Marlow 70)

Fog horn

I absolutely always use my fog horn. I used it last night off NH coastline 1/8 mile visibility. Mines thru my VHF with an external horn. Use of radar and AIS also

I absolutely always use my fog horn. I used it last night off NH coastline 1/8 mile visibility. Mines thru my VHF with an external horn. Use of radar and AIS also

That was one very cool-looking fog bank last night! It hung just off the mouth of the river. From New Castle, you could see Whaleback Light and the Wood Island lifesaving station sticking up out of the fog. A tendril of fog was crawling up onto Gerrish Island.
4339-albums438-picture4735.jpg

For those who don't know the area, those two structures are only half visible. The rocks they're built on, along with buoys and other structures normally visible from this spot, are buried under the fog.

After years of Naval Officer training, we go by the numbers in fog: sounding all fog signals, one observer as far forward as possible looking and listening, slowing to a speed that would allow us to come to a full stop in less than half of the distance of the visibility, using the AIS and radar features available to track all contacts and maintaining a clear situational awareness. Our old Selene 55 had an automated whistle sounding feature, but we are forced to time our signals manually with our current boat (making sure that we do not sound precisely at the two minute points). Finally, we never assume that the others out there in the soup are going to do things right.

Mike Curreri

M/V Bravo Zulu (Marlow 70)

Great advice! :thumb:

BTW, a Fogmate is only about $100.

(no affiliation...just a satisfied customer)

Hi All,

Yes, I use a fog horn with a controller. It's a Kahlenberg with a Kahlenberg controller. To comply with the collision regs (actually, the anti-collision regs) it comes with its own certificate of compliance stating it meets the required sound levels.

In the UK, there are many, many boats with small horns and even VHF radio horns which do not meet the regs. Far too quiet.

I believe the USCG also issued a statement awhile back about electronic hailer horns not meeting the requirement.

While I use one, my defense would be that you can't hear my other horn that does meet the requirements 90 percent of the time either unless you are on an idling or engine off boat with hardly any other ambient noise.

I figure if in a busy traffic area, I just hit my other horn between the 2 minute intervals of my electronic horn.

I believe the USCG also issued a statement awhile back about electronic hailer horns not meeting the requirement.

While I use one, my defense would be that you can't hear my other horn that does meet the requirements 90 percent of the time either unless you are on an idling or engine off boat with hardly any other ambient noise.

I figure if in a busy traffic area, I just hit my other horn between the 2 minute intervals of my electronic horn.

The crucial test is whether the horn has its own certificate of compliance. If it doesn't or if the manufacturer is unable to provide one for your sepcific model of horn, it's unapproved, something the UK insurance companies are starting to pick up and making noises about being insurance potentially being invalid.

I am not sure that to be true at least in the US that it HAS to be certified on pleasure vessels, at least beyond initial manufacture.... but if it is, then you are probably OK.

Otherwise....as long as it meets the Colregs, like lights and dayshapes, no USCG certification required.

Mounting can play a huge factor also....the whistle has to meet requirements that vary 360 degrees... I doubt many meet that requirement unless they clearly exceed the base requirement.

The COLREGS (http://www.collisionregs.com/MSN1781.pdf) are clear on the required sound of your horn (see page 34). So when you buy one for your boat you need to know it complies. It should come with a copy ot its approval certificate originally awarded to the manufacturer for that soecific model. if it doesn't, try asking the manufacturer for a copy and see what they say!

Many, many horns in the UK are small electric horns which do not meet the required sound levels. Also, and as you point out, horns are so often mounted incorrectly.

It's just one of the areas which seems to have been missed.

Another thread about radar use had me thinking about low vis ops. I run a Fog-mate fog horn in low vis but I usually only hear fog signals from commercial vessels. There are often MANY recreational angler boats in the vicinity but I never recall hearing one from them.

Do you have an automated fog horn signaling device on your boat? If so, do you use it regularly in low visibility conditions? Is it a radio function over a loud speaker on the bow or does it involve the use of your vessel's horn system?

If not, do you just estimate the timing and sound your horn about every 2 minutes?

Do you notice many other boats in the fog using their fog horns?

Sometimes I wonder, "Is it just me?"

We do using air horn on vessel, slow way down, step outside often to listen, and use ais and radar. Just last week we hit fog off port townsend WA for about 45 min. Less than 1/4 mi viz. Had a couple of other vessels file in behind us as they saw we had radar and must have seemed to know what we were doing. :)

IMG_0381.JPG

We use an automated fog horn. No reply is more comforting than hearing a reply. When I first hear a reply I confess to a clenched buttock moment or two. Radar sure helps but most of the boats eventually seen are small fiberglass fishing boats with very little in the way of mass to reflect a signal, often with no lights and not signaling.

Another thread about radar use had me thinking about low vis ops. I run a Fog-mate fog horn in low vis but I usually only hear fog signals from commercial vessels. There are often MANY recreational angler boats in the vicinity but I never recall hearing one from them.

Do you have an automated fog horn signaling device on your boat? If so, do you use it regularly in low visibility conditions? Is it a radio function over a loud speaker on the bow or does it involve the use of your vessel's horn system?

If not, do you just estimate the timing and sound your horn about every 2 minutes?

Do you notice many other boats in the fog using their fog horns?

Sometimes I wonder, "Is it just me?"

We use an automated fog horn. No reply is more comforting than hearing a reply. When I first hear a reply I confess to a clenched buttock moment or two. Radar sure helps but most of the boats eventually seen are small fiberglass fishing boats with very little in the way of mass to reflect a signal, often with no lights and not signaling.

Reminds me once anchored early morning off the Benicia boat harbor in fog with one-eighth-mile visibility. Exiting sailboats returning to their Richmond club displayed no running lights nor sounded horns. :banghead: Sent an email to the club mentioning their members' lack of seamanship, but received no reply. :confused:

Note: white sails and white boats don't show up well in fog.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that if a vessel <20m is using a compliant fog horn, the range will be 1/2 mile - not far, especially when converging.

Note that most leisure vessels in the UK and Europe do NOT have compliant horns, so the range will be far less.

Why aren't they compliant? Simple - they are much cheaper. hence manufacturers don't fit them.

Ours is automated, through the radio/hailer.

Haven't actually had to use it... since the fog event (previous boat) that convinced me we needed it... along with radar. :)

Geez... yesterday we ran in dense fog for about 30 miles, visibility only a couple hundred yards at first and very gradually opening up to maybe 3/4-mile...

So we used our radio/hailer/foghorn for the first time. Works easily. I doubt it's loud enough, but then we were behind the horn and inside the enclosure, so probably didn't get the full effect.

This was actually the same route and circumstance -- northward on Delaware Bay from Lewes -- with our previous boat. Having the radar (especially), AIS (somewhat, since we had to negotiate with some ship and tug traffic), and the automatic radio/hailer foghorn meant this time was better. Not completely comfortable, but better.

I wonder if this thread CAUSED yesterday's fog? And it's foggy again this morning, so today's travel leg will also be affected. Sheesh! :)

-Chris

Last edited:
I have an automated horn on my VHF and I use it a few times every season here in the eastern LI sound area.
But if visibility is marginal, say 1/4 mile or so I don't use it. That's plenty of vis to navigate by at 6 knots.

A foghorn may be needed due to the smoke from forest fires in BC and the PNW if the current trends continue.

Not much need for a foghorn here in South Australia.
We get fog up in the hills, but its a rare sight on the water. I've yet to encounter it while boating.

Geez... yesterday we ran in dense fog for about 30 miles, visibility only a couple hundred yards at first and very gradually opening up to maybe 3/4-mile...

So we used our radio/hailer/foghorn for the first time. Works easily. I doubt it's loud enough, but then we were behind the horn and inside the enclosure, so probably didn't get the full effect.

This was actually the same route and circumstance -- northward on Delaware Bay from Lewes -- with our previous boat. Having the radar (especially), AIS (somewhat, since we had to negotiate with some ship and tug traffic), and the automatic radio/hailer foghorn meant this time was better. Not completely comfortable, but better.

I wonder if this thread CAUSED yesterday's fog? And it's foggy again this morning, so today's travel leg will also be affected. Sheesh! :)

-Chris

And another fine morning of fog yesterday in the C&D Canal and northern Chesapeake! In fact, USCG announced the Canal was closed due to fog... while we were about halfway through. The radio foghorn works pretty well...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom