What's this red light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeFlyer

Vessel Name
Retriever
Vessel Make
Mainship 350
Purchased a 1999 Mainship 350 about a year ago. When asked the prior owner said to ignore the red light on the upper helm and not to engage the fuel switch since they were not working. So now I'd like to make them work! Can someone tell me what function this emergency(?) light performs - and maybe what needs to be fixed? Photo Attached ... Thx

Attachments

• mainship red light.jpg
    mainship red light.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 124
The red lamp is typically is typically driven by a few alarm points; usually low oil pressure and high coolant temperature.
In addition, it SHOULD be paired with an audible signal.

On my GB, the red light is a bilge pump "on" indicator.

Last edited:
That red light goes on when you push the horn button and your neighbors garage door opens.

In my experience, if that red light is stuck ON; I'd head for the engine low oil pressure switch. They seem to be the most unreliable switch on the boat, second maybe to a bilge pump switch.

Dan; I missed you on my whirlwind tour of Miami last week. Cutler to N. Miami. Believe I did some 900 miles, thru the Miami Open tennis, etc etc. That is a busy city.:D

Last edited:
My experience says it could be an ignition light, typical of older boat wiring, though 1999 isnt really old like I am talking about.

The ignition light, sometimes it warns you when the boat's generator is not charging the battery....like on cars.

A novel idea would be to spend the 30 min. and trace this thing .... LOL
Clearly it's after- market ........ fb

Greetings,
Mr. CF. Welcome aboard. Given the age of your vessel, I suspect the red light maybe an early model of the HAL 9000. Probably a HAL 2.

200w.gif

Dan; I missed you on my whirlwind tour of Miami last week. Cutler to N. Miami. Believe I did some 900 miles, thru the Miami Open tennis, etc etc. That is a busy city.:D

Dave, my loss. I am currently up in Atlanta visiting my herd of doctors. 2 maybe 3 more to go PLUS my annual visit to my CPA. Add all my medical bills and doctors' visits together and I still pay more in my taxes. I'm working for the wrong outfit.

I have not found it necessary to go downtown Miami in over 10 years but, I have not found it necessary to go downtown Atlanta in 20+ years. One nice thing about going downtown Atlanta is the train. I take the train to and from the Atlanta airport. SMILE

Last edited:
On our boat we have a similar light labeled "bilge pump" it illuminates while the pump is running. If it comes on too much or stays on you could have bilge water issues that require immediate attention!

That's clearly an early model disgronifier warning lamp. Later models changed color with the degree of disgronification and thus the lens would be clear. Red, definitely early iteration.

Maerin is a mighty fine looking trawler. You have hydraulic, stabilizers and water maker and a washer dryer? That boat is ready to get to the deep water.

Oh oh, what does the previous owner know that the new owner doesn't? Maybe a phone call would further illuminate the not dim bulb.

probably aftermarket installation. Our 2003 390 has nothing like it. However we do have an alarm and light at both stations for the high water bilge pump but it is clearly marked.
John

Maerin is a mighty fine looking trawler. You have hydraulic, stabilizers and water maker and a washer dryer? That boat is ready to get to the deep water.

It is in fact- just entering the harbor Georgetown Exuma
Thanks for the kind words!

Purchased a 1999 Mainship 350 about a year ago. When asked the prior owner said to ignore the red light on the upper helm and not to engage the fuel switch since they were not working. So now I'd like to make them work! Can someone tell me what function this emergency(?) light performs - and maybe what needs to be fixed? Photo Attached ... Thx

Being that its not labeled it certainly looks like something added. It meant something to somebody. It could be just about anything, from a benign "bilge pump on" all the way to "engine overheat". There's no way you can know except to follow the wires.

Ken

We had one on our previous boat, showed that the engine synchronizer was engaged from the other helm.

I have a similar, label free red light. Mine is in the companionway to the galley and comes on when I pull the two position switch at the helm. That switch is labelled, though you need to contort to see the label, which I haven't done in many years. IIRC it may say "stove". When the light is on, so is the propane solenoid up above and the propane stove works. The second position on the switch, cleverly, works the little pump that fills the diesel stove day tank. Yes, the light stays on for that, but then, so does the solenoid.

Trace it. It will be a good learning experience. It’s the only way to be sure.

Trace it. It will be a good learning experience. It’s the only way to be sure.

Get a Fox and Hound to trace the circuit.
Of course, that is assuming there is not an open or a short between one point and the other.

Based on two older boats I've had, I vote that it's a bilge pump "on" indicator.

Based on two older boats I've had, I vote that it's a bilge pump "on" indicator.

That's as good a guess as any, and easy to test for. Just kill power to the bilge pumps and see if it goes out. In fact, since it's on, you could start by cutting power to various things until you find what's powering it. That should quickly and easily narrow it down.

Today a very sharp mechanic determined the light was a fuel flow sensor. He changed the fuel filter - end of story.

Seems like a vacuum switch. Smart!
The rest of us need to have the engines at full bore while we navigate the ER to read a manual gauge.

Today a very sharp mechanic determined the light was a fuel flow sensor. He changed the fuel filter - end of story.

Fuel flow between where? A transfer pump between tanks?

Back
Top Bottom