What you guys think of these

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IF you have the height, why not ?

A pair of 8D might have more capacity , as they weigh more.

I used that form factor for my inverter bank and really liked the small footprint , I had plenty of height and easy access so just used standard flooded. Two of those have more capacity and weight than 1 8D on a slightly smaller footprint.

IF you have the height, why not ?

A pair of 8D might have more capacity , as they weigh more.

That's a 6V battery so it takes 2 to compare to an 8D.

If I had the headroom, I'd use these. My battery box limits me to a 3x GC or 8D or smaller.

That looks to me at first glance to be a standard L16 type battery.

Those are VERY popular with folks as you can get a lot of capacity in a small footprint due to their height.

I have four of them. Different brand, but same concept battery size.
They are made by every manufacturer of industrial batteries as they are a standardized case size.

L16 are generally used for forklifts. Simply put they are just taller GC batteries. I use 8 of them for a 1350 amp hour capacity bank.

I have 6 L16 trojan. When comparing prices...some are 435 ahrs, these are 370ahrs fyi

Had the same looking group designation but Costco brand for years with good results

The L16's are monsters,2 of them for my house bank with 400w solar and mppt controller I think is gonna be the setup I am gonna build

I’ve been looking at Firefly L16 and the dimensions of the OP’s battery don’t look like L16.

3 Firefly L16 fit into an 8D footprint with 12v 450 amps.

I have 6 L16 trojan. When comparing prices...some are 435 ahrs, these are 370ahrs fyi

Me too. Six L16s replaced two 8Ds with only a slightly larger footprint but of course you need the elevation space.

I have the Trojans at 435 amp hours per pair at 12v. 3 pairs. The six L16's also are enough energy to start my starboard CAT 3206.

The manufacturer is East Penn. decent batteries used a lot in floor scrubbers etc. I’m just about to replace 4 of these with same mine are now 6 yrs old & reluctant to give back heavy loads quickly to my inverter
I looked at the Trojans with more Ahrs that others mentioned but no local dealers so shipping was too pricey.
When replacing L16’s in a tight battery box, measure carefully as I noticed some small differences in dimensions depending on the Ahrs, with different manufacturers.

The usual thought is 2 same size 6v batts have more amps than 2 12v of similar size.

The reason is a 6v batt will require fewer internal spacers than the 12v , so more plates and a heavier batt result.

The combination with highest weight will have higher amps.

I guess I am old and less flexible. I like AGM batteries.

Not familiar with these Duracell batteries, specifically. A number of years back, I implemented four Trojan L16's as my house batteries and they were still going strong 12 years later when I sold that boat.

Sorry sir,, but the number of years in service is meaningless. What counts is the use profile. Boaters who primarily or often use marinas rather than anchoring a lot will have their batteries to last longer. Use them a lot, they don't last as long.
Not familiar with these Duracell batteries, specifically. A number of years back, I implemented four Trojan L16's as my house batteries and they were still going strong 12 years later when I sold that boat.

Depending on where your batteries are located you will have to figure re-ballasting to offset...I switched out 2 8ds for 4 x 6V and added 300lbs 3 ft off centerline...which has to be compensated for somewhere

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom