What through hull transducer is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satch

Vessel Name
Good Karma
Vessel Make
1978 34' CHB
What is this through hull transducer on my 1978 CHB Trawler? It's not OEM from the looks of the installation. I assume it is the depth sounder but it doesn't look like any that you can purchase these days.

If it is the depth transducer, is there any hope of using it with any modern display equipment? The original electronics associated with it are the size of a toaster with an ancient, blurry CRT that plots an X,Y graph of something that looks like a fish finder readout, and a million modes including GPS that I don't need. All I want is a digital readout of feet in one of the modern 2" circular hole panel mounts.

Attachments

• 20201221_010801489_iOS_3.jpg
    20201221_010801489_iOS_3.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
"Through Hull" terminology has become cloudy of late. Your transducer appears to be a legitimate through hull. That is a hole drilled through the hull to mount the transducer.

Many people now refer to "through hulls" as a transducer mounted inside the hull of a boat which sends its signals through the hull. (Sometimes good, often not so good)

To answer your question. Your present through hull probably will not work with any modern equipment. Depending on its age it may have a huge tapering block on the underside of the hull putting you at risk and if nothing else, adding drag to the boat.

Next time the boat is on the hard, pull the transducer and install a modern one, you will be glad you did.

BTW, You will probably never get that reinforcing block off your hull if that is 5200 I see seeping from under it. It is OK to reuse it.

pete

Many people now refer to "through hulls" as a transducer mounted inside the hull of a boat which sends its signals through the hull.

That would be an in-hull glassed in transducer.

If you can determine the model number of the old display, you should be able to find the manual. The manual will tell you the power and frequency.
Biggest problem would be finding an adapter for the connector.

Simple 500W 50/200KHZ transducers are inexpensive but the MFD or display you purchase will specify compatible transducers. It is likely you will need a new transducer.

If I had to guess ,your transducer is an Airmar B45 50/200 kHz or similar. If you want a simple gauge-style digital readout, it'll more than likely work by cutting the existing end off and connecting the shield, blue & black wires to their respective terminals on a digital readout. Hawkeye is an inexpensive brand that comes to mind. For around $100, you get a new display and a transducer. Cut the end off of the included transducer and splice it, color for color, to the existing transducer. Worse-case scenario, if the existing thru-hull transducer fails to give a reading, you can glue the included transducer to the inside of your hull for a shoot-thru-the-hull application & you should be able to get a depth reading that way.

Back
Top Bottom