What does radar do that my eyes can't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone figured out a way to mount the Defender round folding radar reflector permanently?
Where and how to mount the anchor buoy?

Seems I cannot submit a new subject within an existing forum nor establish an new subject even though it says I have permission

So would someone please address what’s the downside of using radar?....

Over-reliance can be detrimental if distracting from adequate visual observations. ... If having radar, its use is a must if fog, smoke, darkness, etctera restrict visibility.

Actually, as a result of this thread, I've been using my radar often in good weather and looking at returns of various boats, buoys, etc. To your point Mark, my last time out I was leaving my home port and heading down river like I've done hundreds of times, but since I was so focused on the radar, I wandered out of the channel. No damage, plenty of water where I was. Maybe if I wasn't so familiar where I was, I would have paid more attention to the GPS, but it does prove your point that I was being distracted by what I could see visually and on GPS by focusing more on the radar returns. I realized that would not be normal operation for many, but it did happen.

Still think if you use it lot you get what you need with a glance. So when you need it you’re familiar with it so less prone to screen hypnosis. Think screen hypnosis is more of a risk if you only turn it on when you need it.
Think screen hypnosis is a real problem on boats. I like to explore available features on MFDs. More than once the admiral has given me a head slap when a few terse words haven’t brought me back to attending to my senses not the screen. Totally accept PS’s point. It’s true. So part of our routine is doing the 360 frequently and running the check list. Also only fool with exploring the screens when in open safe water on the AP or turn over situational awareness to another. Even then those sessions are broken up by our routine.

Last edited:
Still think if you use it lot you get what you need with a glance.

Agree. I'm getting there.

People don't remember when they first drove a car. Concentrating only on the 100 feet directly ahead. No time to glance in the mirrors even if it's flashing red lights. Hopefully most of us have gotten used to prioritizing the +20 things to routinely check.

As to psneeld's statement "I would love to be the defense expert witness in a case like that," no you would not love it. The plaintiff's expert would have a much stronger resume and more experience testifying in personal injury cases. Your cross examination would go something like "Does the Coast Guard require that you have both eyes open?" Does the the Coast Guard prohibit you from wearing headphones while at the helm?" "How about having a beer?" "So Mr. Psneeld, having one eye open, listening to your favorite Zappa album at full volume while having a beer at the helm is okay with you and the Coast Guard?" "And in your expert opinion nothing about this conduct could be construed as contributory negligence?"

This is listened to by a jury of your "peers," which oddly enough, means non-boaters who are not smart enough to get out of jury duty. They think radar is magic. Plenty of PI attorneys would take on a case of "I got radar but it is too confusing to use." Given certain facts, there may be insurance companies who would simply tender policy limits and tell the defendant "good luck with that defense."

Last edited:
Agree. I'm getting there.

People don't remember when they first drove a car. Concentrating only on the 100 feet directly ahead. No time to glance in the mirrors even if it's flashing red lights. Hopefully most of us have gotten used to prioritizing the +20 things to routinely check.

As to psneeld's statement "I would love to be the defense expert witness in a case like that," no you would not love it. The plaintiff's expert would have a much stronger resume and more experience testifying in personal injury cases. Your cross examination would go something like "Does the Coast Guard require that you have both eyes open?" Does the the Coast Guard prohibit you from wearing headphones while at the helm?" "How about having a beer?" "So Mr. Psneeld, having one eye open, listening to your favorite Zappa album at full volume while having a beer at the helm is okay with you and the Coast Guard?" "And in your expert opinion nothing about this conduct could be construed as contributory negligence?"

This is listened to by a jury of your "peers," which oddly enough, means non-boaters who are not smart enough to get out of jury duty. They think radar is magic. Plenty of PI attorneys would take on a case of "I got radar but it is too confusing to use." Given certain facts, there may be insurance companies who would simply tender policy limits and tell the defendant "good luck with that defense."

If you only knew....

Why would you not just say "Of course I had radar on, I always do. Maybe if the other boat was displaying a radar reflector I would have seen them better"

Back
Top Bottom