Wet batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmatics

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Open Gate II
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 423 Classico
Who makes the best wet batteries?
Are there any automated systems to keep cells full?

If your batteries and charging system are in good shape they shouldn't need water very often. I've never heard of an automated system, but I don't think it should be necessary anyway. Besides, you should fill with distilled water if/when they need any.

Who makes the best wet batteries?
Are there any automated systems to keep cells full?

IMO Trojan or Rolls are the best. And they both have semi-automatic systems available to help keep the battery water topped off.

Ken

You absolutely cannot go wrong w/ Trojan batteries.

IMO Trojan or Rolls are the best. And they both have semi-automatic systems available to help keep the battery water topped off.

Ken

My opinion as well, though I got tremendous service out of a set of US Battery L16's too.

And yes, Trojan and others make watering systems. My various banks of batteries all had very easy access so I just used one of those semi-automatic
push down pitchers, cut to the appropriate length (the Rolls had a much deeper "topping point" than the others.

As to water systems, I use a filler jug like the one below. Just push it into the cell and it fills to the proper level and shuts off. You don’t have to be able to see into the cell, just reach it with the jug. Got mine on Amazon, where else???

Golf Cart / Deep Cycle Battery Jug Water Filler Bottle w/ Auto Shut Off

If you're not over charging the batteries shouldn't need topping off very often. If they're hard to get to, an auto filling system helps a lot. You don't even need to see the batteries to use it. I use Flow-Rite, a local company here in Grand Rapids, MI. Check out flow-rite.com. Not affiliated, I just try to buy local.

IF you have the room above the batt these work well,Hydrocap |

Order them AFTER the batts are installed so they can be sized properly.

Just sitting dockside on a good charger does not cause much water use , but going from 90-100% to 40 or 50% daily does use water.

Your refrigeration will probably be the big batt user.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom