Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Knot Enuff
Vessel Model: Atlantic 47'
Westerbeke Generator Stops???

My boat is equipted with a Westerbeke Generator, Model #WMD-12, 12.5KVA. It has run fine since I've owned the boat. Last week I went to take the boat out and started the generator first, as I always do. I held down the preheat switch for a few seconds and while holding it down, I pressed the start switch. She started right up. When I released the preheat switch, it immediately stopped. I followed the same process and again, she started right up, ran smooth but as soon as I released the preheat switch, she stopped. I did not want to hold the preheat switch too long but each time the motor started up and ran fine.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking? I thought about the shutoff switch, but I believe that shuts off the fuel. This seams as it could be electrical. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot-Enuff View Post
My boat is equipted with a Westerbeke Generator, Model #WMD-12, 12.5KVA. It has run fine since I've owned the boat. Last week I went to take the boat out and started the generator first, as I always do. I held down the preheat switch for a few seconds and while holding it down, I pressed the start switch. She started right up. When I released the preheat switch, it immediately stopped. I followed the same process and again, she started right up, ran smooth but as soon as I released the preheat switch, she stopped. I did not want to hold the preheat switch too long but each time the motor started up and ran fine.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking? I thought about the shutoff switch, but I believe that shuts off the fuel. This seams as it could be electrical. Thanks for any suggestions.
The preheat switch when starting by passes the safety circuits, perhaps one of those switches is bad or has a bad connection. Good luck
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Guru

On our WB12.5, it is necessary to continue holding down the start button (not the preheat) for a few seconds after the engine fires. You might try this.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Check the Oilpressswitch , take one bridge on this switch for proof.
You have change the Oil now?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Usually the preheat button is also the low oil pressure shutdown override.

Was the oil pressure up to 20 or so when letting go? If not... hold longer...if it's up I would look at removing a wire from the low oil pressue sensor or where one of those wires goes to the fuel cutoff.

Westerbeake has a pretty good troubleshooting section online if I remember. Take a look there if you don't have a manual handy.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
On my Westerbeke the prehead must be held down for 3 or 4 seconds after the start, as it bypasses the low oil pressure shutdown.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
My schematic shows that the pre-heat relay provides power to the fuel lift pump and fuel solenoid during starting. Once the oil pressure is up to par it provides power to the lift pump and fuel solenoid allowing the engine to run with the pre-heat released.

Your description seems to indicate that the oil pressure switch is not doing its job.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
My schematic shows that the pre-heat relay provides power to the fuel lift pump and fuel solenoid during starting. Once the oil pressure is up to par it provides power to the lift pump and fuel solenoid allowing the engine to run with the pre-heat released.

Your description seems to indicate that the oil pressure switch is not doing its job.
Your right, perhaps the elektric contact from Relais and oil pressure switch are wrong.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
On my 8kw Westerbeke there are three safety switches. Oil pressure, water temperature and exhaust elbow temperature. If anyone of these has failed you would have the condition you describe. As others have explained the preheat switch overrides these safety switches.
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
On my 8kw Westerbeke there are three safety switches. Oil pressure, water temperature and exhaust elbow temperature. If anyone of these has failed you would have the condition you describe. As others have explained the preheat switch overrides these safety switches.
Mine too. I usually hold down pre-heat a few seconds longer than start and I check to see that the oil pressure has come up.

Last week, I did have a condition in which the Gen would start, but run for only a minute or so, with no power, before it died. Replacing the racor solved that problem.

Good luck

Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #11

Normaly stops the gen when the oilpressure are down or the water temp are high. Proof this two swiches with bridge ore cut the bridge. I dont no in this moment are two contacts are normaly open or closed and open when the temp are high or the Oilpressure down.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #12

I have one WB 15 KW and two WB 8 KW an Board. Last year i had the same problem, now i refresh my memory. The probleme are one from the little relais in the startbox are bad. I dont no whitch relais, chance both and i think thats is the Problem.
_________
Norbert
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Had a similar situation crop up with our NextGen 3500kW when we started it up for the first time earlier this season. As soon as I let go the start switch, it stopped running. Turned out to be a sticky starter solenoid. I manually played with it, pushing it in and out, and it has started fine every time since.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #14

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
On my 5k northern lights genny, with westerbeak engine, I had the same problem. I removed the grey (?) wire and it ran fine. Traced it to a faulty exhaust temperature sensor.
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Guru

Actually if water temperature or exhaust elbow temperature sensors were the problem the generator would not start, because the pre-heat does not bypass them. Knot-Enoughs problem is probably with the oil pressure switch.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #16

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
Obthomas: my symptoms were exactly as the op's. it would only stay running with the override switch held up. When I replaced the temp switch, problem solved.
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Does anyone know how to test the three safety switches on a Westerbeke. Can you bypass them by jumping them?

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Does anyone know how to test the three safety switches on a Westerbeke. Can you bypass them by jumping them?

Marty
Oil pressure ....I think yes after looking at the wiring diagrams but the others may be resistance and just cant jump them...but I'm not sure as the manuals I looked at had no info on them.

Best to find the specs on the sensors or call.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
Guru

The temperature switches provide grounds to the stop relay. To test the temperature switches simply disconnect them one at a time and see if the generator starts and runs.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Knot Enuff
Vessel Model: Atlantic 47'
Thanks to all. I will be at the boat this weekend and start checking. I appreciate all of the direction, great group on this site!