Westerbeke 4.4 generator alternator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timetraveler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shema
Vessel Make
78 heritage West Indian 36 trawler
I noticed the alternator shaking around while it was running. I checked it and it looks like it hasn’t worked in years. I bought another but can not figure the wires out. On the back of it is a power hookup and a r and L connection.
Any help would be a blessing

While restoring your genset alternator function makessome sense, some generators don't have them at all and get by fine without them.

Ski noted some years back that genset alternators are generally crappy and often poorly regulated. This means that they can damage the starting battery over time.

As a result I would much rather rely on the shore power battery charger to keep the genset starting battery charged. It will probably take a three output charger: one for propulsion start, generator start and house bank to keep them isolated. Or use a combiner or ACR to tie one of the other charger outputs to the genset starting battery.

David

Thank y’all for the response greatly appreciated. I found a Gen that was the same as mine for sale pretty close. I bought the whole thing for a alternator. But I will now have all the extra part I may need.

I noticed the alternator shaking around while it was running. I checked it and it looks like it hasn’t worked in years...
Then the genset start batt must be getting charge from somewhere else or it wouldn`t start. Maybe start power comes from the mains batts,but if it has its own,I suggest a small dedicated (and regulated) solar panel.

Some gens have a 12V winding on the end of the armature used to charge their battery instead of a separate belt-driven alternator. The hash that came off these things was also not very helpful for the long term health of the battery they were hooked up to. On my old Onan, I disconnected this and provided charging to the gen batt via a Blueseas ACR; so whether the boat was on ship or shore power of underway without ac power being generated the generator battery got properly charged.

Alternator

The weird thing is that is the oldest Battery in the boat. Just had to replace all other batteries. That one is just for the gen set and the date on it is 10/14. It a matter of time I’m sure. It has a switch so if I need to run it with the other batteries I can.
Really like this site. Thanks to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom