Weems & Plath Clock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
Recently bought a grand Banks 42 classic that has one of the above clocks. I took it apart to see if it needed a battery. I also looked online and YouTube is usually helpful but I couldn’t find anything on this. Maybe because it should be so darn simple to figure out. ?.
There was no battery in it although in one of the pictures I have attached it seems to be the perfect rectangular spot for one to fit in. My biggest question is to confirm that these two small wires (smallest gauge I recall ever seeing) are too small and short to attach to anything however I see two small holes with what seem to be pins that provide resistance if I insert the wires in and release the pins. Am I correct on all my assumptions here? I don’t have any 9 V batteries on board currently are I would just test this out.

I’ve also shared a picture of one of our AC outlets. I have one in the aft cabin that does not have a cover on it. Should I try and obtain a metal cover such as these and if so are they available at a big box store?

Thanks in advance for responses and suggestions!

Pix would help. The Weems clock in our EB47 also uses a single AA.

I would have sworn I had posted these pics

Apologies. pictures will help hopefully these will

Attachments

• 62661CF3-8B8A-406F-80A1-41CAC9BD0780.jpg
    62661CF3-8B8A-406F-80A1-41CAC9BD0780.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 83
  • 1EAC8FD9-8FE0-4B9F-90AA-1F17E1EF372E.jpg
    1EAC8FD9-8FE0-4B9F-90AA-1F17E1EF372E.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
  • BB888708-E9ED-4D97-93E7-4FDACF03BCBF.jpg
    BB888708-E9ED-4D97-93E7-4FDACF03BCBF.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 40
What is the model name and/or number of the clock?

Frontal photo?

Have you tried to contact Weems & Plath themselves? They may be able to help.

I see a battery in your first photo. It is the cooper colored cylinder (with tan band). Take a small screw driver and pry it out. Looks to be AA.

I don't know what our brass marine clock's name on the boat is other than Wifey spent a lot of money for it and was battery-powered. It included a chime/bell sound for whatever reason a marine clock is supposed to do. IT FAILED!!!!

I was determined to get the clock functioning without spending a lot of money on it. With Google's help I found a place that sold clock mechanisms in the $10-20 range; purchased one along with the hands and face. I peeled the paper face from the failed mechanism and attached it to the new face. Other than no marine chime/bell one cannot tell by looking at it that it had a major repair. It runs accurately all summer on 1 AA battery, by spring the next season with the battery power diminished the clock will have lost a couple of minutes.

You might want to just change the mechanism and save some bucks. Certainly not a big job.

Last edited:
double a battery is in the black plastic under a door. the coil appears to be for the chime. weams and plath has a great warentee and has fixed several clocks for me. the outlet plate can be purchased at lowes home depot and electrical supply houses.

I too had a dead W&P clock and ended taking the approach foggysail mentions. It may be impossible to find an exact replacement mechanism, but based on a few key measurements you can find something that will fit. I didn’t, however, come across any mechanisms with nautical bells.

My W&P clock had a dead battery. Replaced it and still no go. I called W&P in Annapolis and they were very helpful in figuring out what might be wrong. First they helped me determine which model I had. Then explained that the circuit board can get corroded if a dead battery is left in for long periods of time even though not really visible. Provided a reasonable (compared to a new clock) quote to repair. Suggest you call them with clock in hand to help in identifying model.

No matter how replete in heavy brass sealed with abundant chrome with magnificent dial display resembling a ships porthole, inside usually lurks what looks like the movement out of a cheap battery powered kitchen wall clock. I`m sure in many cases it`s really a fine bejeweled movement, but....
If repair fails, I recently acquired a matched pair, a tide clock and a barometer, branded Plastimo. Reasonably priced, impressive to the eye, actually working keeping good time, you could do worse.

My Harwich ship's clock was keeping time, but quit chiming several months ago. I asked for help on another forum and was given the name of a jewelry store in FLL that sells and repairs ships clocks. I got their estimate and decided to research further. I shopped buying a new replacement clock but the price was $2k+, so I persevered in finding a repair. I found a company that would replace the movement for $250 but they warned it would take a while. After 3 months, I picked up my clock and went back to the fancy jewelry store. They said it would take about 2 months. So I have it marked on my calendar to check in with the store and painfully pay my $450 for a new movement. Oh, and the face broke in transport so my total is $725.00. Does that tell you how much I miss my ship's clock hanging in my kitchen?! The name of the store in FLL is Josef & Joseph.

I’ve also shared a picture of one of our AC outlets. I have one in the aft cabin that does not have a cover on it. Should I try and obtain a metal cover such as these and if so are they available at a big box store?

Thanks in advance for responses and suggestions!

Outlets in the interior accommodation spaces of the boat do not need marine outlets/cover plates, so go with whatever you think looks good, steel, plastic wood etc. Wood will likely be available at a marine store, plastic and steel of course easily found in the electrical section of Home Depot/Lowes etc.

Any outlets in the engine room, bilges etc. should be in sparkproof housings/covers.
~A

W&P repaired my non working clock for free. Lifetime warranty.

That's interesting. I need to call them!

Back
Top Bottom