Waterproof USB and coiled cable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I'm pondering my choices on using a remote control panel for my Furuno gear on the arm of the upper and lower helm chairs. A previous owner had a Simrad JS10 joystick installed on them, using a coiled cable leading to mini din-8 connectors on the helm stations. I have no idea how many conductors are in the existing cabling from the helm to the joystick station (likely 4). If there's enough I could probably just re-use this existing setup and re-wire it for USB.

But I don't have the upper station umbilical, as it was removed prior to sale. It seemed to have suffered the same problems as many Raymarine radio cords, peeling off in chunks.

The MCU-004 remote uses USB. And there are such things as waterproof (screw-on) USB connectors. What I've not come across (yet) are ready-made coiled/spring cables for USB. I know ends can be put on cables, but I've found factory molded-on ones are generally a bit less problematic over time.

If I can find them I might even consider USB-C to avoid the plug-in polarity hassle of regular USB-A sockets.

Anyone come across such things?

Attachments

• 20180428_111727.jpg
    20180428_111727.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180428_111711.jpg
    20180428_111711.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180428_111723.jpg
    20180428_111723.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 15
Coincidentally we installed exterior security cameras on the house that used USB connections (type A, micro B on the camera end). I never could find waterproof housings or jackets for the male type A ends. I finally had to enclose them in weatherproof single gang outdoor electrical boxes. I did try heat shrink tubing but it didn't turn out well - there's such size a difference between the connector and the wire that it didn't work, wasn't water tight, and of course heat shrinking defeats the whole purpose of easy connect/disconnect. Turned out the USB connections were very sensitive to moisture - one drop of rain killed the connectors. Just not robust.

There are circular male A ends from Amphenol LTW.

https://www.amphenolltw.com/p2-products-series.php?product_series_sn=17&product_classify_sn=9&nn=2

But I'd be hesitant to use the regular type connector due to the insertion alignment hassles. Won't fit, flip it over, won't fit, flip it over, etc. USB-C would be an improvement on that front. But, as you suggest, regular USB connections are not designed with moisture in mind. Thus using a mini-DIN or Cannon style plug, where the pins have a much larger contact/wipe area.

Back
Top Bottom