Volvo Penta TAMD41P Temp sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don1500

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M/V Nomad
Vessel Make
Camano Troll 31
I have been looking all over the net to find a location for the temp sensor (single) on my TAMD41P engine. None of the engine callouts in any service manual that I have found show the location. Does anyone have a picture? Thanks :banghead:

I have been looking all over the net to find a location for the temp sensor (single) on my TAMD41P engine. None of the engine callouts in any service manual that I have found show the location. Does anyone have a picture? Thanks :banghead:

Oil temp sensor?

I suspect he is asking about the coolant temp sensor. I tried googling it and sometimes you luck out. Here is a link to the coolant system parts diagram for that engine: https://www.volvopentashop.com/epc/en-US/Details/PentaPartsCatalog/7745630_105?path=MarineDieselEngines%2F7745630%2F7745630_26%2F7745630_105

On that diagram it is part 26 for the sensor which I assume is an alarm switch and part 27 for the "thermo monitor" which I assume is for the temperature gauge. Both are on the lower thermostat housing screwed in side by side.

To confirm the alarm switch, check the continuity. If it is the alarm it should be an open circuit when cold. To confirm that that is the right circuit. Pull the cable, start the engine and short the cable terminals. It should alarm.

To confirm the temp gauge sensor, check its resistance. It should not be a dead short or an open circuit, it should be hundreds, maybe thousands of ohms. No real easy way to confirm the wiring though.

David

I agree with David. I currently have a TAMD31 (4 cyl) but previously ran twin TAMD41s (6 cyl). Surprisingly, much of the hardware is interchangeable, same part numbers anyway. The Volvo Penta Workkshop manual(s) are a great help:
Workshop Manual B- Electrical system wiring diagrams
Workshop Manual B - Intake, exhaust, cooling systems
both are available online for download and between the two you get coverage for everything. Location, wiring diagrams, explanations, etc.

Back
Top Bottom