Voltage drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
When I start the boat. I have an issue with other electronics shutting down Like the GPS.

Just started doing this.:mad:

WTH??

SD

Last edited:
SD, this sounds familiar - If your electronics get their juice from the engine-start battery then you may well have a weak battery or a bad connection in the battery cables. In either event, hitting the starter causes a volts drop that the electronics can't handle. I had a similar problem with my Garmin GPS sharing a battery with the bow-thruster.

Segregate your start battery (batteries) and put your electronics on the house batteries.

It's a common problem and Anode's suggestion is the common (and best) cure.

I personally think a separate, dedicated battery for electronics is the ticket....can be as small as a motorcycle/lawn tractoor batt. if you have limited space....

It's required for commercial fishing vessels to have at least their radio on a dedicated battery for emergency situations and if isolated from house and start batts..you will never drop your electronics (have a separate feed switch/combiner for emergencies and a charging setup you are satisfied with.)

Just be careful of brown-out, it will take out your electronics for good. Saying that however, some electronics have a built in voltage drop protection circuit that turns off when the voltage drops but most electronic equipment are dumb units that solely depending on the protective circuit to protect them.

Elwin

Since the problem just started, I think Shoalwater is on the right track, weak battery or bad connection. While you're at it, follow Anode's suggestion to isolate your house bank from your starter battery.
Another option is to use a power stablizer such as the ones made by Newmar: DC Power Stabilizers

Look for a weak battery and bad connections first.

Since the problem just started, I think Shoalwater is on the right track, weak battery or bad connection. While you're at it, follow Anode's suggestion to isolate your house bank from your starter battery.
Another option is to use a power stablizer such as the ones made by Newmar: DC Power Stabilizers

Look for a weak battery and bad connections first.

Yes, he is on the right track, but best practice is to not have electronics or other voltage critical loads on the starting battery.

Replacing the battery and/or the connections or cables will solve the problem until the next time. Moving the electronics load to the house bank will fix it for good.

I solved the problem.
Right on about the dedicated battery.

I have a three battery switch set up.

One on/off switch for the house bank.
One on/off switch for the start bank.
One on/off switch to combine the two banks.

The combiner switches went bad and I had to replace it. Turned out I wired it back asswards.:nonono:

Seems when the combine switch was off it was really on. And vice versa.:facepalm:
Thanks for the input.

Problem solved.

I love you guy's :thumb:

SD

Last edited:
I solved the problem.
Right on about the dedicated battery.

I have a three battery switch set up.

One on/off switch for the house bank.
One on/off switch for the start bank.
One on/off switch to combine the two banks.

The combiner switches went bad and I had to replace it. Turned out I wired it back asswards.:nonono:

Seems when the combine switch was off it was really on. And vice versa.:facepalm:
Thanks for the input.

Problem solved.

I love you guy's :thumb:

SD
I made a living troubleshooting and repairing electronics and related equipment. Here is your original statement:
"When I start the boat. I have an issue with other electronics shutting down Like the GPS.

Just started doing this"

Here is your second statement:

"The combiner switches went bad and I had to replace it. Turned out I wired it back assward"

I learned long ago, if something was working OK and you did some work on the equipment and now it doesn't work OK, there's a good chance that your work caused the problem.

Or in your case, the electronics were working fine, you replaced the switch and they no longer were working fine. Go back and check your work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom