Victron, Yacht Devices & Peplink ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello, maybe someone here can make a recommendation.

On my boat, we have a Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 Wi-Fi Gateway, a Victron Cerbo/MultiPlus 3k and we am in the process of installing a Pepwave Max Duo 4G/5G LTE Dual SIM card Router.

Is there a way that all these things can be connected or networked together? Is a good idea or no?

Maybe so the Victron system will be online all the time via the Cell connection? Maybe install a network hub?

I also connected the Cerbo's Ethernet port to my Raymarine "Raynet" network hub in order to be a be to display all the victron info on the chartplotter...

I am not a network guy but thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

• ve-cerbo-gx-top.jpg
    ve-cerbo-gx-top.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 71ZGMvvsGHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ZGMvvsGHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 37
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
The Victron Cerbo can be connected (wired or wireless) to the Pepwave for internet connectivity. Then it'll be online wherever you have some form of connectivity.

The Victron Cerbo can be connected (wired or wireless) to the Pepwave for internet connectivity. Then it'll be online wherever you have some form of connectivity.

Correct, the Cerbo will connect via the VRM (Victron Remote Monitor) app or web access.

Personally since the CERBO comes with a cool display there is little need or want to display the same information on your navigation MFD(s).

On the flip side the Cerbo display is pre programmed for Victron devices so displaying other NEMA 2K data is not really something one would do.

What I would do is to use the CERBO for what it's good at, Victron energy systems. Your Raymarine MFD's for navigation data, and perhaps a N2K display for the ancillary data on your N2K network.

That's what I do, except I opted out of N2K in favor of a wireless Zigbee and Zwave solution for general alarm monitoring and control. This is a 10" separate display. You could do the same thing with a dedicated N2K display.

Hello, maybe someone here can make a recommendation.

On my boat, we have a Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 Wi-Fi Gateway, a Victron Cerbo/MultiPlus 3k and we am in the process of installing a Pepwave Max Duo 4G/5G LTE Dual SIM card Router.

Is there a way that all these things can be connected or networked together? Is a good idea or no?

Maybe so the Victron system will be online all the time via the Cell connection? Maybe install a network hub?

I also connected the Cerbo's Ethernet port to my Raymarine "Raynet" network hub in order to be a be to display all the victron info on the chartplotter...

I am not a network guy but thanks for your suggestions.

I have the same 3 devices, also the Victron shunt and a Victron solar controller. This spring since I have Al water tanks with no gauge. I am going to install 3 Gobius sensors along with their hub. Than connect it to the Cerbo GX.

I started installing some of this but its getting too cold and there is no rush to this. Hopefully, some good days in May and April to complete the work before the boat goes back into the water. Anything thats new and to do with networking takes time.

Is the objective of networking everything to the multifunction display to minimize dashboard clutter? If so, doesn’t that just create MFD clutter? Sometimes individual apps or displays are better. My boat is still back in the Xantrex era, so I’m thinking ahead on this stuff.

Is the objective of networking everything to the multifunction display to minimize dashboard clutter? If so, doesn’t that just create MFD clutter? Sometimes individual apps or displays are better. My boat is still back in the Xantrex era, so I’m thinking ahead on this stuff.

So very true....... On the other hand, Victron "stuff" can be displayed on a phone, tablet or PC/laptop. In my case, I need to know the condition of my batteries and water tank level. The Solar charger, nice to know but not as important. Also, I have one 12", one 7" Simrad and a 14" laptop which will provide a little info overload.

This all depends on what you want out of your boat and boating I guess.

Thats why separate displays are nice

I like using and reading from this forum! Please, keep me up to date on your usage of your Cerbo GX and your other stuff. Its great to see how all this "stuff" come together.

Here are the two victron views you can see in the Raymarine screen, it in no way clutterers the screen as it is a dedicated view, you can glance at whenever you choose.

One is just a duplicate of the victron touchscreen and the other is what they call HTML5 format...

20220102_124216.jpg20220102_124203.jpg

Doesn't clutter it, just takes it over wholesale.

Is that a simple matter for connecting the Cherbo Enet to the Raymarine HS5 switch?

Here are the two victron views you can see in the Raymarine screen, it in no way clutterers the screen as it is a dedicated view, you can glance at whenever you choose.

One is just a duplicate of the victron touchscreen and the other is what they call HTML5 format...

View attachment 124411View attachment 124412

Although I think its wonderful that you can display the CERBO data on your MFD that presents a bit of a challenge as to why would you.

The CERBO comes with a great screen.

Few, if any of us have an "extra" MFD on our system that we can dedicate to energy monitoring.

I have three 12" MFD's on my furuno system. Each of them are dedicated to something... Radar, Plotter, Sounder.

I cannot imagine split screening any of these so I could dedicate one to the Victron, again especially since the CERBO has it's own dedicated screen right out of the box.

Again, don't get me wrong, I am glad you can do it, I just do not see the useful side to it other than the "yes I can do it" factor.

Last edited:
I would suggest you use the Cerbo screen as that is what it is designed for. You can hook up the Cerbo over ethernet or WiFi to your peplink router and that would allow you get push your Victron data to the cloud for remote monitoring OR you could also access on boat from any device with a web browser. Also allows you to update the Cerbo as well.

All the Raymarine is doing is overlaying the Cerbo web interface onto the MFD.

For my boat I have a Victron GX, Raymarine, and a Cisco router. The Raymarine network stack is a piece of crap software and is laughable poor implementation. The easiest thing is to not network the Raymarine at all and just put the Cerbo online.

Cheers

And understand that many (most?) modern chartplotters expect to have their OWN ethernet network. Not one connected to the internet. If you want devices to have wired connectivity to the internet then you'll likely need a separate wired network. Not a big deal but sometimes an unexpected requirement if you don't know how plotter networks need to be set up.

There's a bunch of reasons why (and just as many why it's a dumb requirement) but that's how it is. Just bear it in mind as you plan things.

As for me, I think the idea of being able to mirror what the Victron touchscreen is indicating, (which is down below), is a good idea. not sure why you dont understand the value in this....say the fridge CB got bumped and it gets turned off, I can see the temp and get a notice while I am at the flybridge helm..

All I have to do is press one button on the chartplotter and I can view all the data.

Raymarine system connects up fine, no issues,

easy

As for me, I think the idea of being able to mirror what the Victron touchscreen is indicating, (which is down below), is a good idea. not sure why you dont understand the value in this....say the fridge CB got bumped and it gets turned off, I can see the temp and get a notice while I am at the flybridge helm..

All I have to do is press one button on the chartplotter and I can view all the data.

Raymarine system connects up fine, no issues,

easy

Because I already have the data on a dedicated screen right in front of me. :)

In my case, the screen for my Cerbo is in the cabin next to the electrical panel. If I want to look at it while I'm at the helm, I typically just pull out my phone and look from there. I don't look frequently enough at the helm to need it on a permanent display up there (although it wouldn't be a bad idea if I had more display area than I knew what to do with).

Back
Top Bottom