Victron Cerbo GX issues (Solved!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the most important part of this discussion and I'll be even more blunt.

As a result of this thread Victron has reached out to me with an offer of support dealing with my issues. I am happy that this user has gotten results. I am happy that I may get to the bottom of my issue.

I like their products. I have thousands of dollars of their products on my boat. However the take away shouldn't be Victron is good to go now. The take away should really be that this support model is a total failure. Having to rely on someones personal contact to drive enough churn to get a reaction helps no one and leaves countless people floundering.

It's not just those of us here and it's not just this thread. I've had this discussion several times before and its come up on the Nordhavn Owners Group. There has to be a way to escalate issues to a corporate entity especially when the vendors choose to leave users floundering in the community forum.

I have found that the front line phone answerers are usually there for diversion and blocking. I had a particular instance where I called customer service and was told absolutely no way are we going to help out, 2nd contact different person same outcome.
Found out who the company president was as well as the regional president. Fired off an email to both at the same time, the next day I got an email and phone call from corporate customer relations, they took care of all the issues and refunded me money that I had to put out because of the issues. Complete opposite of the first two initial contacts.

I should update that I did hear from the tech support team of one of the MPPTs I own that had wonky Bluetooth issues. From a small off-grid outfit in Utah. He re-read the manual to me over the phone and never really progressed past the simple stuff - I had hoped he had a better manual than I did but alas, he did not. Clearly, although a Victron dealer, he not well versed in the product. Sort of painful, but that's who I unwittingly married when I purchased the MPPT through them.

Having done a medium-compexity install on Weebles; a low-complexity install on my pop-top camper van; and a low/medium off-grid install for a friend in Wyoming; my summation is there are not may options to Victron (Renogy which is inferior on all accounts). The decision to go Victron is forced, but the dealer from whom you purchase is not. Folks, this is NOT a place to shop price - the reputable dealers all seem to have similar pricing. Amazon is NOT your friend here.

Peter

Last edited:
I think the lesson here is definitely to be picky about who you buy Victron gear from. It seems there are only a few of their dealers (PKYS being one) that are really good about supporting DIY installs. Many others seem to sell components to DIY users as a side thing, but I think for many, their bread and butter is off-grid installs they do (and they're likely better at supporting that).

The model assume that the dealer and installer are one in the same. In that case the dealer is familiar with the system because they designed how the product fits in, that they have a relationship with the customer, and that they made money in the deal, both in product margin and installation labor. We would all expect such a dealer to stand behind their work.

But that’s only a portion of installs. Many are DIY, with product purchased from god knows who. What about equipment already in a boat that you purchased? Who supports that? What about a new boat? Who supports that? The boat dealer probably knows nothing about it, and they aren’t a Victron dealer anyway. And if you are a dealer, what incentive do you have to support random people? None at all, in fact there is a deterrent because it will cost you in time and dollars.

While we are picking on Victron, they are not alone in abandoning the traditional customer service role. This is a world wide trend, affecting most industries. Many products are shipped without a manual at all, you are expected to look it up online, or worse yet watch a tedious and poorly produced YouTube video. Any questions are referred to the community forum. Along with that, product quality testing which used to be done in house is now expected to be done by the customer base. I do not find Victron to be a standout example for this kind of behavior, merely typical. If I call a company these days and end up speaking to an agent more knowledgeably about the product that I am (having only read the manual, if supplied), I am surprised. Usually, they don't even keep a record of their bugs, you are told "we've never heard of that problem before" and yet if you call a week later and report the same thing, are told the same thing again - I have tested that assertion.

If anyone is interested, here are the capacitors I purchased on-line for installation in the Cerbo GX power supply cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152946257334

I was able to purchase a 4-pak for less than a single capacitor. I've tried to attach a pic of the completed power supply cable, but for some reason it won't take . . .

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, here are the capacitors I purchased on-line for installation in the Cerbo GX power supply cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152946257334

I was able to purchase a 4-pak for less than a single capacitor. I've tried to attach a pic of the completed power supply cable, but for some reason it won't take . . .

I guess it would be a good idea to install one regardless of any previous issues? As you saw in the other thread I have some working used equipment. But I may as well install this prior to installing in the boat? Cant think of any reason why I wouldn't?

I guess it would be a good idea to install one regardless of any previous issues? As you saw in the other thread I have some working used equipment. But I may as well install this prior to installing in the boat? Cant think of any reason why I wouldn't?

I can't think of any reason not to. There is no down side as far as Victron says, and although we're apparently the first reported 12v boat to be affected, as far as I'm concerned it's just added insurance. All the 2nd build, and 3rd build Cerbo GX units now incorporate the capacitor inside the case.

Barking Sands - I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but in my experience the issue isn't whether it's under warranty, the issue is the warranty is only honored via the company who sold the kit in the first place
Same with tech support - the Victron Forum is hit or miss. Without the original reseller, you may need Skowgoesits contact.

Peter

I had a BMV 712 that had failed before I took possession of the boat, and was stuck with that exact issue. The PO didn't remember where he had purchased it, so I thought I might just have to forget about a warranty replacement. But after inquiries on this board, I was encouraged to reach out to Victron. I contacted their support and they replied the next day, asking for the serial number of the unit (which is also on the back of the round display). I sent the number, and they forwarded the request to the dealer who had sold the unit toe the prior owner. They emailed me with shipping confirmation, and I had the new unit in just a couple of days. :)
Ver happy customer here!

I had a BMV 712 that had failed before I took possession of the boat, and was stuck with that exact issue. The PO didn't remember where he had purchased it, so I thought I might just have to forget about a warranty replacement. But after inquiries on this board, I was encouraged to reach out to Victron. I contacted their support and they replied the next day, asking for the serial number of the unit (which is also on the back of the round display). I sent the number, and they forwarded the request to the dealer who had sold the unit toe the prior owner. They emailed me with shipping confirmation, and I had the new unit in just a couple of days. :)
Ver happy customer here!

This is indeed a good ending. SLowgoesit had a similar tale about a failed item the PO had installed that Victron made good on.

BTW - I was finally able to power-cycle my MPPTs which restored the bluetooth connectivity even before the Cerbo is installed (which should finish today). Hopefully the issue is now resolved.

Peter

If it was me and my BMV-712 failed I'd be all excited since I'd then be justified in replacing that ridiculously hard to read gauge with the Victron smart shunt and just use their app. And it's one less gauge to have a hole for

Follow up: Today I received the 5th Cerbo GX from Victron US. Victron is hoping that the power cord with the (installed by me) capacitor will prevent any further issues, but as related to me by Roni at Battleborn, Rich (I believe his last name is Shea) of Victron US also wanted me to have the latest build Cerbo GX available to put in spares in the event that the 4th unit, one of the problematic units fails. So today we received the fifth unit. To recap:

1. 1st unit (Problematic SN) failed after about 2 months, cause unknown, replaced by Battleborn
  2. 2nd unit (Problematic SN) failed after about 2 weeks, cause unknown, replaced by Battleborn
  3. 3rd unit (Problematic SN) was DOA, cause unknown, replaced by Battleborn
  4. 4th unit (Problematic SN) was installed using the modified power cord to incorporate the capacitor. Installed about a week ago, and still functioning as advertised
  5. 5th unit, (latest build) arrived today from Victron US to to be placed in spares in the event the 4th unit has a problem.
Once I got in contact with the right people, I can't say enough about the support I've received from Victron.

Now if I can just get someone to take the Brand new Quattro 5000, 230v 50hz inverter I received, and perhaps ordered by mistake, off my hands, I'll be a REALLY camper camper!

:hide:I know, I know, never satisfied . . .:D

...snip...

Now if I can just get someone to take the Brand new Quattro 5000, 230v 50hz inverter I received, and perhaps ordered by mistake, off my hands, I'll be a REALLY camper camper!

:hide:I know, I know, never satisfied . . .:D

Oh I'll gladly take it off your hands! Next time you visit Australia bring it with you, and let me know where and when to collect!

I'm amazed you got one delivered in a reasonable timeframe. When I was doing my refit at Port Townsend my 230V 50Hz Quattro 3000 took about 4 months after ordering to show up. The CoOp guys were wondering if they had screwed up the ordering process, but I think it was just a case of "er, that voltage/frequency combo is a special order from Europe"

This makes me think I should plan to add the capacitor to my Cerbo. It's been running fine for 2 years, but just in case...

This makes me think I should plan to add the capacitor to my Cerbo. It's been running fine for 2 years, but just in case...

When I ordered my Cerbo from PKYS, I talked with Peter Kennedy and asked if I should proactively do this re: SlowGoesIt. He seemed a bit shocked - had not heard of the issue. I didn't bother for fear it would muddle a warranty. Frankly, in your shoes, I'd just let it roll. Don't break-into jail here.

Peter

When I ordered my Cerbo from PKYS, I talked with Peter Kennedy and asked if I should proactively do this re: SlowGoesIt. He seemed a bit shocked - had not heard of the issue. I didn't bother for fear it would muddle a warranty. Frankly, in your shoes, I'd just let it roll. Don't break-into jail here.
Peter

rslifkin & Peter,

Personally, I would add the capacitor, but bear in mind, ours is apparently the first 12v boat that has had the issue, but just to be safe, I'd add it.

Oh I'll gladly take it off your hands! Next time you visit Australia bring it with you, and let me know where and when to collect!

I'm amazed you got one delivered in a reasonable timeframe. When I was doing my refit at Port Townsend my 230V 50Hz Quattro 3000 took about 4 months after ordering to show up. The CoOp guys were wondering if they had screwed up the ordering process, but I think it was just a case of "er, that voltage/frequency combo is a special order from Europe"

If I recall correctly, it came about two weeks. It CAN be used in a 240v, 60hz boat, you just need to use the free Victron app and change the hz to 60 hz, but ours is a 120v boat, so it couldn't be made to work for us. . . . I still don't know how I ended up with the European model, but I gave the company I purchased it from the benefit of the doubt since I couldn't guarantee I didn't order the wrong one, and I didn't catch that it was the wrong one when they sent the order confirmation. That'll hopefully teach me to read the order confirmations more carefully . . . :nonono:.

Whatever, bottom line, we got the correct one in, and are cruising. I just need to figure out what to do with my spare $3,654.15 boat anchor!

Being able to change to 60Hz should make it relatively easy to sell. Particularly given what this thread uncovered on the warranty side.

There has to be some off-grid folks with large domestic appliances (such as a dryer) who would be interested. Maybe some boats, but I'd try and target remote residential.

Being able to change to 60Hz should make it relatively easy to sell. Particularly given what this thread uncovered on the warranty side.

There has to be some off-grid folks with large domestic appliances (such as a dryer) who would be interested. Maybe some boats, but I'd try and target remote residential.

Brian, thanks for that suggestion. I never even considered marketing in the off grid dirt house venues. Now I've got some research to do . . . in my spare time . . . . while I whittle away at the list . . . . Have I mentioned that sometimes I just HATE the list?!?:D

Brian, thanks for that suggestion. I never even considered marketing in the off grid dirt house venues. Now I've got some research to do . . . in my spare time . . . . while I whittle away at the list . . . . Have I mentioned that sometimes I just HATE the list?!?:D

That Quattro 5000 can be routed through an auto transformer to make 240/120 power.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom