Victron Cerbo GX issues (Solved!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the OP is near the vendor, and the vendor has an actual physical presence, I'd walk in there and ask for a new one, and ask to see it powered up at the counter with a battery before I left the store. If I was the vendor, before I replaced a 3rd one, I'd insist on the same thing. A batch of bad ones isn't totally implausible, but that would prove it one way or the other.

I'm not responding to all who have offered help, but please understand that I appreciate the input. Some of it is beyond my current knowledge base/experience, so I'll muddle through as best I can. I purchased the Cerbo GX through Battleborn Batteries. They are too far from me to road trip it to them, unfortunately. They seem to have a better than average understanding of how the components they sell work, and how they interact with each other, but this one has them stumped. I don't have time right now to delve deep into it, but I'm attempting to move forward. When the third one was DOA out of the box, it crossed my mind that they had possibly sent me a returned item, or maybe even the first one I had sent back (I didn't record the SN of that one), but I don't really think that they did. I just think it was defective. I should have sent it right back, but frankly, I was so ticked off with the whole thing that I just procrastinated on contacting them again. I will probably do so next week when I have more time. Lots of other stuff on the to do list that I can do in the meantime. I still haven't viewed the video, but will probably do that tomorrow.

Just a side story that bears slight relevance to the events above. At my day job, I use a "secure laptop". One of the aspects of the security perimeter is a tamper switch; disturb the tamper switch (e.g. by opening the case to repair the keyboard, try to grab the SSD, etc.) and POOF it goes dumb and can NEVER be a smart laptop ever again. Probably also locks out the encryption on the drive, etc.

When I got my first one, it was a hand-me-down and it sat on my shelf for over a month. Who knows how long it was on the shelf before it was reassigned to me. Well, perhaps the BIOS battery died or some other capacitor went dead, as it couldn't be a secure laptop. Of course, I had to go visit the IT desk to get verification. Herein lies the story...

Technician told the tale of someone who ordered a new secure laptop, and it arrived with the tamper switch tripped. Universal Package Smashers had their way, perhaps? Second secure laptop arrived with the tamper switch tripped, and so did the third one. Fourth one finally arrived in a functional state and lived a good long life.

I'm not saying these Cerbo units are faulty, but if they are internally flawed, they could easily be from the same batch and hence affected by the same fault. Sorry you're going through this.

You're in the PNW, Fisheries Supply went pretty deep into Victron, the couple of people that I've talked to there sure seem knowledgeable. I'd ask them

Cerbo GX

I have a Cerbo GX in my my setup, I haven't had any issues and getting 3 bad units defies the odds. I'd echo DDW to look carefully at the power harness. The wires terminate with ferrules that are clamped with screws in the connecting header. I'd check those and the receiving pins on the GX. It sounds like a connection issue. BTW, I'm at POYC and available if you'd like another set of eyes.
Keith

@Slowgoesit;
I passed on this thread to Victron. Here is the response from M Vader:

Hi, indeed we’ve had an issue with the power supply design in the Cerbo GX. Which causes a dead unit, usually upon install or quickly thereafter. Very system specific: in some systems one after the other fails; and in other systems no issue it all.

Affected serialnumbers are from HQ2201xxxxx up and including HQ2220xxxx.

So far, both field returns as well as our own analysis didn't point to 12V being affected. But its hard to rule it out completely.

Anyway, we'll get this solved, and do all that's possible to make sure that the fourth (..!) one you'll receive works well. Your distributor, Battleborn / Dragonfly, is a very capable one. We'll get in touch with them and help get this sorted.

All the best and my apologies for the troubles getting to a reliable system!

Matthijs Vader
Victron Energy BV

Matthijs is very helpful if you can get his attention. It would be interesting to know if the serial numbers of the units in question are in that batch.

I have had one issue with the Cerbo: I put in a certain type of LED replacement bulb. Whenever I switched it on, it would reset the Cerbo. I did not try ferrites or whatever in the LED power line, there was a lot of wire between the two, but it does suggest some conducted EM susceptibility of the Cerbo supply. No other equipment on the boat caused it.

So often the solution is about getting the right person's attention. Thanks @Matthijs!

I suspect the most likely explanation is that the acknowledged manufacturing defect in a batch of Cerbo devices extends beyond just 48V operation, and that you are experiencing the same thing.

The unfortunate thing here is Victron's abandonment of any support responsibility. This notion of directing all support to their dealers is a complete fail. With few exceptions, people selling products don't know anything about the product beyond what's printed on the box. I hope they figure this out and fix it before it starts costing them business.

Dealers receive training.
Dealers have direct connection to US distributor, and the main offices support and developers.
M Vader the one in control of Victron, and who pushed for the open architecture, monitors closely the support posting, and you see him often posting solutions.
There are many examples where the end user think they have equipment connected correctly, but they have not.

I personally had an inverter stop, on one of my Victron install, mailed it to the repair company, who did not found any problem. When the 'no-problem unit was back the same issue occurred. I found out, I FORGOT the setting in the Venus (before Gerbo conception) was set on charge only. So it would not turn on invert.

Where it has happened 3 times, if usually leads to the users error. And should go back to basics. Just the battery, just the display, and just a temp sensor.

I have had excellent service with Victron. Weekend calls back from the US distributor, Justin and even from M Vader.

I gotta say, i have had similar problems with the victron "support".

My vendor, pkys, told me to go post on the victron community forum. I posted, zero response.

Dead end.

I know of several people who have had similar experiences with their chosen system of customer service.

Dealers receive training.
Dealers have direct connection to US distributor, and the main offices support and developers.
M Vader the one in control of Victron, and who pushed for the open architecture, monitors closely the support posting, and you see him often posting solutions.
There are many examples where the end user think they have equipment connected correctly, but they have not.

I personally had an inverter stop, on one of my Victron install, mailed it to the repair company, who did not found any problem. When the 'no-problem unit was back the same issue occurred. I found out, I FORGOT the setting in the Venus (before Gerbo conception) was set on charge only. So it would not turn on invert.

Where it has happened 3 times, if usually leads to the users error. And should go back to basics. Just the battery, just the display, and just a temp sensor.

I have had excellent service with Victron. Weekend calls back from the US distributor, Justin and even from M Vader.

Just getting caught up. I've had issues with my Victron MPPT controllers. Bluetooth dies, although the indicator lights seem go show they are operational. But I can't validate any settings without Bluetooth or a dedicated monitor as suggested by someone else on another forum.

Victron tech support is non-existent. Someday someone may respond to my Community post, but that's BS to have to wait days for a (maybe) response that may need a followup question.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go - considering replacing the MPPTs with ones that have a basic display screen, perhaps remotely mounted screen. I purposefully avoided Victron for Inverter because Magnum is hardwired, albeit a bit old school with the LCD display. I just don't want multiple networks floating around the boat.

SlowGoesIt - I feel your pain. Very frustrating. Best of luck.

Peter

Support-wise, have you pushed the dealer you bought the MPPTs from? Victron's intended support tree is that you go to the dealer, then the dealer goes to Victron if needed. They do have a support contact page that I've seen linked on their forum for if your dealer is unable or unwilling to help, then they'll work with you directly. They just normally avoid doing direct end-user support (and they don't really intend a lot of their stuff for end-user installation either, but that part is never really an issue in practice).

I gotta say, i have had similar problems with the victron "support".

My vendor, pkys, told me to go post on the victron community forum. I posted, zero response.

Dead end.

I know of several people who have had similar experiences with their chosen system of customer service.

<<< and where is the link to your posting on the victron community forum???

Just getting caught up. I've had issues with my Victron MPPT controllers. Bluetooth dies, although the indicator lights seem go show they are operational. But I can't validate any settings without Bluetooth or a dedicated monitor as suggested by someone else on another forum.

Victron tech support is non-existent. Someday someone may respond to my Community post, but that's BS to have to wait days for a (maybe) response that may need a followup question.

I'm not sure what direction I'll go - considering replacing the MPPTs with ones that have a basic display screen, perhaps remotely mounted screen. I purposefully avoided Victron for Inverter because Magnum is hardwired, albeit a bit old school with the LCD display. I just don't want multiple networks floating around the boat.

SlowGoesIt - I feel your pain. Very frustrating. Best of luck.

Peter

>>> and where is your Someday someone may respond to my Community post, on the victron forum ??? <<<

Support-wise, have you pushed the dealer you bought the MPPTs from? Victron's intended support tree is that you go to the dealer, then the dealer goes to Victron if needed. They do have a support contact page that I've seen linked on their forum for if your dealer is unable or unwilling to help, then they'll work with you directly. They just normally avoid doing direct end-user support (and they don't really intend a lot of their stuff for end-user installation either, but that part is never really an issue in practice).

When you buy a car...do you go for service to the manufacturer or the dealer?
When the dealer is no good to you....you go to another dealer...

So apply the same to Victron, to to another Victron reseller, who CAN solve your issues.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/179339/smartsolar-mppt-10050-bluetooth-issues.html

After 1 day, it's on the 6th page so out of circulation. Scrolling through the 6 pages, appears there are a lot of issues with Cerbo. I have reached our to Northern AZ solar and they've been very responsive about what I need for a Cerbo and GX Touch display, but looking at all these issues spooks me. This is exactly the type of problem I wanted to avoid.

Sorry folks, this is unacceptable tech support. I bought these as part of an overall solar package almost 2 years ago from a small provider in Utah so im supposed to chase him? Clearly these are not a DIY device unless there are no issues. I dumped Renogy for same reason.

Peter

When you buy a car...do you go for service to the manufacturer or the dealer?

When the dealer is no good to you....you go to another dealer...

So apply the same to Victron, to to another Victron reseller, who CAN solve your issues.
So what kind of car can you buy off Amazon? Which is where a LOT of these are sold. Where exactly should I drive into to have a tech diagnose my MPPTs?

Glad it works for you. Spending days to track down someone who might be able to give an answer does not work for me.

Peter

EDIT - one very big difference to the new car analogy is car makers have a dealer network. If I buy a Ford in Tampa and have a problem in Milwaukee, I go to the Ford dealership. With Victron, I can only get service from the place I purchased from. With autos, the full power of Ford stands behind the product. Not so with Victron. The dealer is your backstop, not Victron. Big, big difference.

Last edited:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/179339/smartsolar-mppt-10050-bluetooth-issues.html

After 1 day, it's on the 6th page so out of circulation. Scrolling through the 6 pages, appears there are a lot of issues with Cerbo. I have reached our to Northern AZ solar and they've been very responsive about what I need for a Cerbo and GX Touch display, but looking at all these issues spooks me. This is exactly the type of problem I wanted to avoid.

Sorry folks, this is unacceptable tech support. I bought these as part of an overall solar package almost 2 years ago from a small provider in Utah so im supposed to chase him? Clearly these are not a DIY device unless there are no issues. I dumped Renogy for same reason.

Peter

If it is just 2 skylla and no Gerbo, I really can't offer a solution,so yes you do need to contract the dealer/vendor

if it is a 48 V system ..the can bus of skylla won't work

you could even call the Victron US number....

So what kind of car can you buy off Amazon? Which is where a LOT of these are sold. Where exactly should I drive into to have a tech diagnose my MPPTs?

Glad it works for you. Spending days to track down someone who might be able to give an answer does not work for me.

Peter

EDIT - one very big difference to the new car analogy is car makers have a dealer network. If I buy a Ford in Tampa and have a problem in Milwaukee, I go to the Ford dealership. With Victron, I can only get service from the place I purchased from. With autos, the full power of Ford stands behind the product. Not so with Victron. The dealer is your backstop, not Victron. Big, big difference.

Nope any dealer should be able to offer help. When I could not get a answer solving my issues I called another vendor who could

You could even call the Victron USA number if your vendor can not solve it, even though the vendor has the ability to escalate the question.

Nope any dealer should be able to offer help. When I could not get a answer solving my issues I called another vendor who could

You could even call the Victron USA number if your vendor can not solve it, even though the vendor has the ability to escalate the question.
Here's response from Norther AZ wind and sun. Repeats that kit has to be purchased from them.

Hi Peter,

We will be your tech support on any products you purchase from us.

I have been installing Victron equipment in RVs for years now, their products are very reliable, We have lots of experience with this equipment.

We are here to support you if you purchase from us. I really do not recommend any other products for a mobile application.

This does seem to be the big flaw in purchasing Victron gear from Amazon. Because Amazon can't be bothered to provide support, it leaves a hole in Victron's support system.

Here's response from Norther AZ wind and sun. Repeats that kit has to be purchased from them.

Hi Peter,

We will be your tech support on any products you purchase from us.

I have been installing Victron equipment in RVs for years now, their products are very reliable, We have lots of experience with this equipment.

We are here to support you if you purchase from us. I really do not recommend any other products for a mobile application.

well of course if you buy it from them they will support you.....
Does it say they won't help you if you buy some parts of other sources?

BUT did they answered your question?
Did you call the US sales office ?

Also worth noting here that the "just call another dealer analogy" doesn't always work. In another installation we were having some issues with a pair of quattros. The place we bought them from didn't have a solution. When we tried to contact different dealers they wouldn't offer support because we didnt buy them from them unless we paid their $150 an hour service rate.

Brian

This does seem to be the big flaw in purchasing Victron gear from Amazon. Because Amazon can't be bothered to provide support, it leaves a hole in Victron's support system.

when you buy it from amazon you wil always see the vendor like here

Ships from Amazon
Sold by Bay Marine Supply

Ships from. Amazon
Sold by Pike Industries

Ships from. Amazon
Sold by Truck Hitch Accessories

so you know where to go for support
Dealers make a profit, and for that they have to supply support. Companies can not just buy Victron products and then resell it, without going through the proper channels, endure training. etc.....

when you buy it from amazon you wil always see the vendor like here

Ships from Amazon
Sold by Bay Marine Supply

Ships from. Amazon
Sold by Pike Industries

Ships from. Amazon
Sold by Truck Hitch Accessories

so you know where to go for support
Dealers make a profit, and for that they have to supply support. Companies can not just buy Victron products and then resell it, without going through the proper channels, endure training. etc.....

Good catch. I just flipped back through some past Amazon orders and confirmed that none of the Victron stuff I've bought is actually sold by Amazon.

well of course if you buy it from them they will support you.....
Does it say they won't help you if you buy some parts of other sources?

BUT did they answered your question?
Did you call the US sales office ?

What US Sales Office? What phone number? Best I can tell is it's a state secret locked in a briefcase handcuffed to a diplomat in an undisclosed location. Besides, someone up-thread already said they were shunted to the Online Community for answers.

Honestly, I'm a bit gobsmacked that you could read the email I sent as anything other than they will only service what they sell. That's 100% due to how Victron renumerates their dealers. (EDIT: Here's a recent reply to an online review, though not necessarily for Victron kit: "Second of all, we determined that you did not purchase your equipment from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. We do not have the time or resources to offer technical support to anyone who's not a customer of ours. I'm sorry you're having difficulty with your equipment, but just like our engineer told you, you'll have to contact the company you purchased it from for support. You can also try contacting the manufacturer."

I can tell you're enthusiastic about Victron, and that's great. Frankly, I have a few Victron devices that work fine. For some reason though, this application doesn't work - $700 worth of MPPTs flushed. Probably something to do with me or my boat. Who knows. Shouldn't be so hard to figure out but it is. All I can say is it's not the right solution for me. I know Victron has many happy customers. But for me, Victron is a fail. My access to customer service gets worse from here, not better.

Peter

Last edited:
Thats basically the same response we got from a local victron distributor when contacted for support.

The automotive analogy is comedic at best. To compare the dealer infrastructure, technician training, for an auto manufacturer vs victron is a laugh. I like Victron. I have a lot of Victron equipment on the boat. But to pretend "post on the user forum" is a viable method for support doesn't sit right with me. Ford has never once told me to go onto a user community for support.

Mastervolt, Maretron, all companies i've contacted in the last few months. Answered immediately, connected to tech, troubleshot, issued RMAs.

What US Sales Office? What phone number? Best I can tell is it's a state secret locked in a briefcase handcuffed to a diplomat in an undisclosed location. Besides, someone up-thread already said they were shunted to the Online Community for answers.

Honestly, I'm a bit gobsmacked that you could read the email I sent as anything other than they will only service what they sell. That's 100% due to how Victron renumerates their dealers. (EDIT: Here's a recent reply to an online review, though not necessarily for Victron kit: "Second of all, we determined that you did not purchase your equipment from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. We do not have the time or resources to offer technical support to anyone who's not a customer of ours. I'm sorry you're having difficulty with your equipment, but just like our engineer told you, you'll have to contact the company you purchased it from for support. You can also try contacting the manufacturer."

I can tell you're enthusiastic about Victron, and that's great. Frankly, I have a few Victron devices that work fine. For some reason though, this application doesn't work - $700 worth of MPPTs flushed. Probably something to do with me or my boat. Who knows. Shouldn't be so hard to figure out but it is. All I can say is it's not the right solution for me. I know Victron has many happy customers. But for me, Victron is a fail. My access to customer service gets worse from here, not better.

Peter

Try buying your Victron stuff from PKYS. A real dealer and knowledgable about the products, price is as good as anyones.

I'm not going to defend Victron's support decisions, but this seems to be the trend of the future. Not only are your customers the beta testers, they are also the tech support through the user forum. Software led the way on this, but hardware is close behind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom