Old 12-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Victron + Battleborn Lithium - a great combo!

Just finishing up on a much needed electrical upgrade- going from a cobbled together charging system (2 separate chargers with inadequately sized wiring), a 2kw inverter that powered only 1 outlet, and a weirdly wired house and start bank...

To a simplified setup- a house bank of 6 Battleborn Batteries routed thru a Victron Lynx Shunt and Distributor. The Lynx system contains battery monitoring, as well as fused 12v distribution to (1) the main DC panel, (2) DC-DC charger that feeds the start bank, and (3) dual feeds to the Victron Quattro 5kw inverter/ 220A charger unit.

All the above is controlled by a Cerbo GX communications center, paired with the GX Touch 50 monitoring panel. The Cerbo is also connected to the Raymarine navigation network.

Now to reconfigure the AC panels to inverted and non-inverted loads....more fun!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Gotta love lithium.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Guru

Love this- monitoring remote or local!
Attached Thumbnails
1DFEE39F-2B68-46DE-B187-1F1066EB16E7.jpg   6432C7AC-7EA7-4A05-82A5-CB9CF3610B2E.jpg  

Old 12-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Yes, we recently made a change from our old system to a dual Multiplus Victron charging system.

I went with the dual Multiplus solution as opposed to the Quattro for a couple of reasons, none of which makes it better than a single Quattro solution, just different.

I’m sitting at work today over a hundred miles from the boat, and can monitor the system. This is a live shot
Attached Thumbnails
A996F716-483A-4E45-ACC7-E9E6DD2A1D20.jpg   2A73EB8B-B12F-4BF7-8698-A60A435B2733.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Victron + Battleborn- a great combo!

Nerds

[emoji4]

I’m planning a similar upgrade myself. Fortunately for me Peter is just a few slips down so I can steal all of his ideas!

Ksanders I’d like to hear your reasons for dual MP vs the Quattro. I’ve considered the same for redundancy and because I don’t need the dual AC input capability nor do I need 5000 watts.

One thing I do like is the 200A DC charge capacity for my Firefly bank.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Nerds

[emoji4]

I’m planning a similar upgrade myself. Fortunately for me Peter is just a few slips down so I can steal all of his ideas!

Ksanders I’d like to hear your reasons for dual MP vs the Quattro. I’ve considered the same for redundancy and because I don’t need the dual AC input capability nor do I need 5000 watts.

I chose the dual Multiplus setup primarily for redundancy. If one unit fails i can within just a few minutes isolate that unit, do a software reconfigure, and be up and running again.

My install also allows for that isolation, with individual AC breakers on input and output, as well as DC on off switches.

In doing that I did reduce the overall reliability of the system though, since i have two units and if either one fails the system will fault out until I manually intervine.

There were a couple other reasons that helped with the decision as well.

The Quattro is a VERY heavy unit at almost a hundred pounds. That makes installation a challenge for this old guy.

Here in Alaska I would have had to ship the Quattro via truck freight, where the multiplus units are USPS shippable.

And... Two multiplus units are actually a few hundred dollars cheaper than a single Quattro.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Thats great. I just added a BMV 712 victron to my Battleborn battery system to monitor 12v system charging and discharge. Great unit and has 2nd bank monitor ability for my lead acids, no shunt in that one so just voltage and history. Its great to see the whole 12v picture on one screen.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Thats great. I just added a BMV 712 victron to my Battleborn battery system to monitor 12v system charging and discharge. Great unit and has 2nd bank monitor ability for my lead acids, no shunt in that one so just voltage and history. Its great to see the whole 12v picture on one screen.

Bud
Thanks! The Lynx system is a shunt as well as a fused distribution system, so the DC monitoring for the house bank as part of the system. I’m adding a 712 to monitor the start bank shortly.

One thing that drive the decision to go Victron is the modular aspect and inter connectivity- adding components is not a piecemeal event, but adding parts to a system. Plus, Victron has excellent online support and easy programming.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Nerds

[emoji4]

Anytime, neighbor!

Old 12-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Eagle Harbor
Vessel Name: Double Haven
Vessel Model: 40' Pacific Trawler
Peter, I'm going to sneak over from Eagle Harbor one of these days and steal all your ideas. Just letting you know.
CompuNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: Vermont
Sorry if this has already been covered, but have you guys added bypass switching too? Where possible/practical, it's a good way to provide for AC power from shore or generator in the event of an inverter failure, and if properly wired, allows for replacement of an inverter while the shore or gen power is still operational. Beats replacement in the dark :-)

For anyone upgrading or adding an inverter, it's well worth considering as part of your project.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Where possible/practical, it's a good way to provide for AC power from shore or generator in the event of an inverter failure, and if properly wired, allows for replacement of an inverter while the shore or gen power is still operational. Beats replacement in the dark :-)
I still would not have the nerve to be working on stuff like that while still plugged into shore power. There's plenty of 12v lighting.....
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Sorry if this has already been covered, but have you guys added bypass switching too? Where possible/practical, it's a good way to provide for AC power from shore or generator in the event of an inverter failure, and if properly wired, allows for replacement of an inverter while the shore or gen power is still operational. Beats replacement in the dark :-)

For anyone upgrading or adding an inverter, it's well worth considering as part of your project.
Your insight is always spot on- and (thankfully) a bypass switch is an easy add-on.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuNerd View Post
Peter, I'm going to sneak over from Eagle Harbor one of these days and steal all your ideas. Just letting you know.
We spend a fair bit of time on Bainbridge (at Tyee Yacht Club’s outstation by Eagle Harbor Marina) so you may not have to come that far.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes. My inverter panel can be powered from either generator/shorepower or the inverter itself.

It’s easy to do with either a rotary switch or interlocking breakers.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
Guru

Just have to tuck wiring back into the chases...but we’re 100% yo and operational on Victron!
Attached Thumbnails
877E7504-EA71-49E8-AFAA-F78F525716E9.jpg   1D4C051E-3508-4CA8-95F1-58E4AF69508B.jpg  

Old 12-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Just have to tuck wiring back into the chases...but we’re 100% yo and operational on Victron!
Isn’t it SWEET to be able to see it all in nice graphics on your CERBO dispaly?
Old 12-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Isn’t it SWEET to be able to see it all in nice graphics on your CERBO dispaly?
Yes- not just onboard, but via the web. Also finished moving circuits into inverted and non-inverted loads.

Ready for extended time on the hook!