VHF Radio mike cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
I need to replace a mike cord, spiral type, that has had a lot of UV damage to its cover.*

The cord has 5 conductors, plus a ground shield wrap, so a regular 4-lead telephone phone cord won't work. Internet searches havern't helped. Any ideas?* Yes, I have thought about buying an old radio on ebay just for parts,* but that's a last resort.

Simple. Contact the manufacturer of the radio (I'm assuming that's what your microphone is connected to), and ask them for a replacement mic cord. I did just that a couple years ago (Standard Horizon) after I cought my cord in a rotating buffer.

I'll warn you ahead of time, you'll have to be pretty good at soldering to solder these small wires without burning something up.

rwidman wrote:
Simple. Contact the manufacturer of the radio (I'm assuming that's what your microphone is connected to), and ask them for a replacement mic cord. I did just that a couple years ago (Standard Horizon) after I cought my cord in a rotating buffer.

I'll warn you ahead of time, you'll have to be pretty good at soldering to solder these small wires without burning something up.
Depending on the model if it is Raymarine the cords are available from Raymarine or from West Marine.* You can get the part number for the cord from Raymarine then have West Marine get it for you.* Mine was $47.00 plus shipping through Raymarine and $47.00 from West Marine at the store*I order it through.

No soldering on mine just a plug in.* Raymarine RAY 215 DSC VHF radio Mic cord part # R49060

JD wrote:rwidman wrote:

Depending on the model if it is Raymarine the cords are available from Raymarine or from West Marine.* You can get the part number for the cord from Raymarine then have West Marine get it for you.* Mine was $47.00 plus shipping through Raymarine and $47.00 from West Marine at the store*I order it through.

No soldering on mine just a plug in.* Raymarine RAY 215 DSC VHF radio Mic cord part # R49060

My RAM mic was discontinued and no longer available (even on ebay) but Standard Horizion still had white replacement cords.* I wanted black, so I went to the auto parts store and bought some vinyl spray paint, stretched the cord out and cleaned and painted it.* It worked fine.

The cord was just that, a cord.* I had to solder one end to the mictophone circuit board and the other end to the original plug.

Forty bucks for a cord is still way too much--you can get a new radio for a little more than $100.

I think I will continue to troll ebay for a parts donor. Thanks for the suggestions.

ARoss wrote:
Forty bucks for a cord is still way too much--you can get a new radio for a little more than $100.

I think I will continue to troll ebay for a parts donor. Thanks for the suggestions.
*Mine was $20.* If you need a cord, you need a cord.* You'll feel foolish if you break down or start sinking out on the water and can't call for help because you didn't want to pay $40 (or $20) for a microphone cord.

It's a BOAT - (Break Out Another Thousand)

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 06:03:51 AM

rwidman wrote:ARoss wrote:Forty bucks for a cord is still way too much--you can get a new radio for a little more than $100.

I think I will continue to troll ebay for a parts donor. Thanks for the suggestions.*Mine was $20.* If you need a cord, you need a cord.* You'll feel foolish if you break down or start sinking out on the water and can't call for help because you didn't want to pay $40 (or $20) for a microphone cord.
It's a BOAT - (Break Out Another Thousand)

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 06:03:51 AM

*I agree and where is it you can buy a radio that does what a 215 DSC does for $100? Most DSC are over $200.* $100 radios are what they are, waiting to become anchors.* Does that mean we need to move this to the Anchor site?

Back
Top Bottom