VHF Handheld Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Someday's Here
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42
We need to purchase a new Handheld VHF radio and thought I would put this thread up as I have not seen anything on them lately in the searches.

My question to you is... If you had to do it over again would you buy the same one or would you get something different?? What one would you get?

I know I want one that floats for sure :lol:

I think battery life is very important . I've noticed some now have gps . would you need gps? I stick to standard horizon .I've had good luck with them over the years

I've been watching your videos good job.

+1 on Stndard-Horizion

Rob

GPS? That seems a good option as my hand held is also in my ditch bag.

I would stick with the name brands such as iCom, Standard Horizon. You may pay a little more, but you get better quality.

We have a standard horizon. It works better than the two installed on the boat.
It has GPS. We need to get it registered with MMSI number.

Make sure what ever radio you get, has a separate volume and squelch knob. Our SH HX370S does not and adjusting the squelch is a PIA.

Attachments

• 4B17110A-D518-4BB0-A818-29A2D6B3780D.jpg
    4B17110A-D518-4BB0-A818-29A2D6B3780D.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
I have a couple Icom handhelds and like them a lot. I like having a separate MMSI for the handheld that goes in the dinghy so I can ping it to see where it is from the boat. It provides a good safety feature should the dingy be late, lost or trapped in fog or current. IMHO, both Icom and SH are quality radios.

+1 for Icom hand-held vhf's. I also have a Uniden, which is a POS compared to the Icom.:thumb:

Yes SH and Icom are both good. Had a Uniden for years that was fine but I think now I would go with the first two.

I like the idea of having DSC in a handheld, just in case the reason you need DSC is electrical, and your main VHF is out of commission, or you had to leave the boat quickly.

Standard Horizon. Had mine over 25 years, still works. Contacted tech support about updating the software (mine is ver 1.01) Their reply was "If it works doesn't need anything". I agreed.

The HX-870 is the one we have.

Uniden, has good battery life, receives fine,people tell me it sends clear and well.

We have been pleased with the SH units with GPS for the last few years.

I just sent one in to SH customer service for reprogramming of the MMSI. They programmed it and sent it back to me, no call, no bill, no charge.

Another option for purchasing the SH HX-870 would be thegpsstore.com. They have it for $200, free shipping and leave it to you to pay the sales tax.

I bought a Cobra, bad mistake POS.
When it needed repair it was near impossible so I put in the bin.
I now have a Standard Horizon and I'm a happy man.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom