VHF antennas banging on bimini frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I was forced to learn radio theory and used HF and VHF all over the western hemisphere as part of my professional career.

Not only did I learn theory....all those years actually using it from many boats and shore stations and aircraft taught me about practical.

Take my suggestions or not....true small works most of the time....I hope you never wish you wanted more db.

Me, I have both tools for any job.

Last edited:
Maybe I was forced to learn radio theory and used HF and VHF all over the western hemisphere as part of my professional career.

Not only did I learn theory....all those years actually using it from many boats and shore stations and aircraft taught me about practical.

Take my suggestions or not....I hope you never wish you wanted more db.

I'm not saying it's not good for some. I just do not do the type of boating where I'm at risk of being out of range.

If you are never more than about 10 miles from who you want to talk too and the channel isn't to crowded or has a stuck mike...sure.

I rarely have known a big boat boater that never boats in conditions that fall withing those parameters.

Last edited:
If you are never more than about 10 miles from who you want to talk too and the channel isn't to crowded or has a stuck mike...sure.

I rarely have known a boater that never boats in conditions that fall withing those parameters.

I've rarely known a boater who is usually in calm waters where a higher gain antenna is most useful. In times of emergency in rough water, a higher gain antenna could be a detriment to being received. Anyway, in the areas I boat, I am confident with my setup. Thanks for your advice and concern.

I think your high gain worries are overrated.

My search and rescue numbers may be a tad higher than yours to say when clear comms is critical.

Even on this little rolly polly little Shamrock, the big antenna was always my go to for 15 years unless next to someone.

Attachments

• 1505564120888.jpg
    1505564120888.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Oh, the joys of PLB/EPIRBs. If u cant go sideways, go up.

Low power UHF devices that have very low gain antennas for the sender. And, must transmit 12,000 miles + with high reliability.

Most of the joy is due to line of site operation. Also kudos for digital modulation in burst mode.

Yes... but like cel phones, a different tool in a rescue or critical issue situation.

Sure, if the radio doesn't work in an emergency, a PLB/EPIRB will bring help.

What about a looper cruising along and can hear the broadcast that says a bridge or lock is closed, or a security zone has been set up....and now they have a choice of diverting in a timely manner instead of plodding along till whenever?

Yes. All true

I do predict future cell phone apps that one could subscribe to, for particular regional concerns. Fuel outages, shoaling, Marines firing weapons; that sort of thing. Kind of like Navtex, but smaller regions and no printer[emoji16]
Or like active captain, but more active/timely.

I assume if you put them on the mast, they would be much closer to each other...?

Yes, that would put the antennas much closer than 6 feet apart; probably 12 inches apart. Not a smart solution. Awkward to access for lowering too.

I believe my two antennas service my two radios. Despite the excellent conversation on antennas, it is looking like mine will stay where they are. Thanks folks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...id=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=imgv&imgv=0

GRAND SLAM 850 ELECTRIC VHF ANTENNA MOUNT
Electronics StoreShare
GS-850
Introducing the Grand Slam 850 Electric VHF Antenna Mount! Designed with safety and innovation in mind, boaters can adjust the position of their VHF antenna with the simple push of a button from the comfort of their helm. The GS-850 is a fully electric unit with hidden wires inside the hardtop. This mount easily installs to the surface of the hardtop and fits all top thicknesses.

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 15
I don't disagree with anything you have stated but you have to also understand the signal pattern of different antennas and in rough water the higher gain antenna may be sending a stronger signal but not being received because it is missing the target. In relatively calm waters like the ICW the higher gain will always win, but how far do you really need to reach out in that situation anyway?

The good thing about a high gain antenna is that the gain affects transmit and receive equally. A high gain transmit antenna also applies gain to the receive side as well. Just make sure your antennas are vertical, not raked back like some cool people do, since the antenna radiates power at 90 degrees.

GRAND SLAM 850 ELECTRIC VHF ANTENNA MOUNT
Electronics StoreShare
GS-850
Introducing the Grand Slam 850 Electric VHF Antenna Mount! Designed with safety and innovation in mind, boaters can adjust the position of their VHF antenna with the simple push of a button from the comfort of their helm. The GS-850 is a fully electric unit with hidden wires inside the hardtop. This mount easily installs to the surface of the hardtop and fits all top thicknesses.

Slick!

Back
Top Bottom