Used Batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi everybody. It is high time to replace my FLA house batteries and I am considering buying some 2 year-old batteries to use. My current house batteries are 11 years old! What are your thoughts on buying used? They are Trojan L16H, 435AH. I would save over $1000 by going this route. I will load test them of course.

Cheers, "Bill

I wouldn't touch 'em, unless the cost were next to nothing. I think it would be difficult to tell whether they were ever abused or not (i.e. run flat a few too many times). This would affect their remaining lifespan.

Last edited:
If you are saving 50% then fine. Anything less than that and you are paying more for the remaining life than if you bought new. Remeber you have installation costs and this will be spread over a shorter period of time.

I had a set of 4 of those in my inverter bank, great batteries. Do you know anything about how much they were used, and why they are on the market? Batteries age due to draw downs and usage, not years.

Here are some ways to determine battery health; I found Trojan techical support to be very helpful if you have any questions.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch 'em, unless the cost were next to nothing. I think it would be difficult to tell whether they were ever abused or not (i.e. run flat a few too many times). This would affect their remaining lifespan.

:iagree: David

That can be pretty well detected by conducting the various tests.

I'd still want the answers to the questions in my post.

That can be pretty well detected by conducting the various tests.

I'd still want the answers to the questions in my post.

I am aware of the traditional "load test" - but that wouldn't necessarily show a compromised life-span early in the game, would it? What other kinds of tests can reveal (or attempt to reveal) remaining lifespan?

Addendum. Just took a look at your Trojan tech link. Perhaps those tests would do the trick, but some of these tests would likely need the experience and tools of an engineer:eek:

Last edited:
Given the huge PIA of removing bad batteries and putting the new ones in place I would not bother with used batteries.

The previous owner had a reason for getting rid of them.

pete

The Trojan link has good info.You're saving $1000 is meaningless to us without knowing how many and what size batteries you're getting. If you're buying 2, 4 or 6, big difference in percent of savings. Load test less important to house batteries, specific gravity more important. Be sure you can decode the manufacture date stamped into the battery case or terminal, not the sticker. Ask if the owner did overnights or weekends (2 nights). Did they come out of a boat? They could be from other devices. Do they have a generator or inverter? What appliancess did they power? Ask to look at the new batteries that took their place. Do they match the reason the seller gave you for replacing perfectly good batteries, and why after 2 years? I applaud you for considering this route, especially if you're not keeping the boat for more than another couple of years. But if you're keeping it over about 4 years, I'd buy new for peace of mind. Please let us know what you discover from your investigations. Cheers.

Thanks for the great replies everyone. After some consideration I agree that used batteries are just too much of a gamble. I just ordered 6 new Trojan L16P batteries, which are 10# lighter and 420AH each. My biggest problem will be removing and installing these due to the location. They are all mounted outboard of one of the main engines, port side. I am going to build some sort of wooden frame that will allow the batteries to be slid across the motor rather than carried at a weird body position.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Bill

What other kinds of tests can reveal (or attempt to reveal) remaining lifespan?

Talk up the guy at the local golf cart shop.They have expensive meters that will give a good idea of the life remaining with out removing the batts.

Too expensive to by for most single uses , but perhaps a case or two of beer might get it home overnight?

Back
Top Bottom