Upgrade Furuno Plotter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtheriault

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mistral
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
I have 2 old (2002 vintage) Furuno 1850DF C-Map NT plotters. I want to upgrade these to something with downloadable maps and better visuals. One sounder is reading erratic depths and the readings keep cycling on and off. I don’t want to change the transducers unless this can be done without through hull work. I want to start with an upgraded plotter and see what happens. Anyone have success changing a plotter to something modern or can make a suggestion about the readings. The boat was recently hauled out and all seems well with the transducers, wiring etc.

I took a quick look and it appears that the 1850 DF was a old fashioned 50/200KHz 600W sounder

To me that means that if you can adapt the pinout you will be good to go with your old transducers as long as you purchase a 50/200 sounder.

Gemeco.com is a transducer distributor. They have transducer wiring diagrams on their website for most Major marine electronics manufacturers.

They also sell various plugs and adapters to match equipment.

Almost all transducers are manufactured by Airmar. Marine electronics manufacturers like Furuno, Raymarine, Garmin has Airmar private label their transducers with their connectors, markings and packaging. I always try to adapt existing through the hull transducers on electronics upgrade if the existing transducers performance is adequate to avoid a haulout. But most older boats transducers are usually not suitable due to incorrect frequency or inadequate power handling.

Plus most new depths sounders and sounder black boxes are engineered to take advantage of new transducer technology.

Gemco is a distributor. If you need a product from them and they will not sell to you, I am a dealer. PM me

Last edited:
Good to know and thanks for your help. Boat is out on charter and I’ll look at it when she’s back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom