Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Boston Area
well...please check back in....if no one else explained it...please feel free. It looked like a good install to me, so I obviously need to learn this.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #22
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Thanks for all of the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Simi 60, that is the one I use. It comes in green, blue, and white. I think I got them on amazon for $13. Still good two years later. Gives a nice 360* vs. just out the back. I can drop one off bow, one off stern and usully get 150' circle of light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If you want a similar result with no holes in the hull, no lift and a $50 spend.

GREEN Underwater fishing light Bright Squid Fish Prawn 180 LED Light. 12-24V | eBay
I have to admit, I like the idea of 1) $13 or $50 and 2) low installation cost and trouble!

I had looked at these, but was afraid they wouldn't put out enough light. But, I can definitely live with 150 feet of lighted area.

It also seems like a good way to test the concept without committing completely.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
well...please check back in....if no one else explained it...please feel free. It looked like a good install to me, so I obviously need to learn this.
There are better ways of installing said light....

Such as predrilling all the holes oversized and filling with epoxy then screwing into the epoxy plugs......

But it was installed correctly to the industry standard, probably just like in the instructions, not the highest possible level.

For a boat that probably lives on a trailer anyway, not sure the highest standard is anything more but overkill.

Most guys would rather fish today and fix some rot in the transom 20 years from now....oh thats right, .... it may never be there and they wont own the boat any more......
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Q View Post
I bought and installed two on the transom of our 19 foot tender
It looks real cool at night and it does attract fish and shrimp at night
I put the lights on so that when at night when beaching the boat I could see what was under the water
Lady smith BC has a coal beach that at a low tide has a lot of old steel parts
And, that, is another great idea.

We will we taking our center console as our big tender on our upcoming trip. The idea of punching holes in it's transom (it's cored with solid waterproof 3M Liquid Transom compound already) is a lot more appealing than putting in in the big boat's hull.

Would make a great test bed!
Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Regardless of the various lighting options, I think Mr ps's suggestion of gluing a block on the transom and THEN screwing into the block is the best suggestion thus far.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Regardless of the various lighting options, I think Mr ps's suggestion of gluing a block on the transom and THEN screwing into the block is the best suggestion thus far.
Yeah, that's a good one, too. Lot's of good ideas and thoughts. The discussion went in a different direction than I was thinking, and that's what I needed.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Maybe I'm incorrect in my thought pattern... but...

Seems to me that having permanently affixed uw lights is OK but not necessary. I wonder if there already exists a way to have uw lights with their own rechargeable battery [similar to a drill battery]. Lights with battery could be attached to a "floater". That way the floater with light[s] could be dropped into water anywhere off the boat with attachment by a thin line for retrieval.

To go the next step: Floater could have a small jet motor in it and by remote control the floater could be made to take the light[s] any place near the boat as well as anywhere alongside the boat.

Little fishes need night lights too!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #28
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Seems to me that the under water lights are simply a form of boat bling. I agree that watching the fish etc. is interesting but for how long? YMMV.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Seems to me that the under water lights are simply a form of boat bling. I agree that watching the fish etc. is interesting but for how long? YMMV.
"Pleasure Boats" in and of themselves are BIG BLING!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #30
Guru

Installed systems require the least amount of additional effort...thus the least forgotten or other issues....

For some who like it or for fishermen, all night every night is the right amount of illumination. For some it is to be cool, for others it is hours or more of entertainment.

Sometimes it takes hours till you attract what you want.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I'm a simple man. I still enjoy just sitting and watching the sunrise and sunset every day when we are cruising. If I had fish to watch, my wife would probably think I had had a seizure.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
1. I'd NEVER use silicone as an underwater sealant. I'd use one of several products intended for below-waterline use.

2. I'd pay special attention to sealing the drilled holes into the wood transom. The installer drilled a large hole for the wire, fed the wire through the bare hole, then squirted some silicone into the hole from the inside of the transom hoping it would fully cover and seal the hole. I wouldn't want to bet the life of my transom that I got that right on the first attempt. Wrong product and wrong technique.

3. Given the choice, I'd opt for a mounting board attached to the transom with 5200 that would accommodate the mounting screws to preserve the integrity of the transom.

4. He's already got one wire hanging over the top of the transom and the light kit includes a mounting plate to allow redirecting the wire. Why not route the cable to above the waterline and drill a hole through the transom above the WL? A properly sealed hole above the WL with a clamshell cover would look professional and help preserve the integrity of the transom.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #33
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
1. I'd NEVER use silicone as an underwater sealant. I'd use one of several products intended for below-waterline use.

2. I'd pay special attention to sealing the drilled holes into the wood transom. The installer drilled a large hole for the wire, fed the wire through the bare hole, then squirted some silicone into the hole from the inside of the transom hoping it would fully cover and seal the hole. I wouldn't want to bet the life of my transom that I got that right on the first attempt. Wrong product and wrong technique.

3. Given the choice, I'd opt for a mounting board attached to the transom with 5200 that would accommodate the mounting screws to preserve the integrity of the transom.

4. He's already got one wire hanging over the top of the transom and the light kit includes a mounting plate to allow redirecting the wire. Why not route the cable to above the waterline and drill a hole through the transom above the WL? A properly sealed hole above the WL with a clamshell cover would look professional and help preserve the integrity of the transom.
And, there you have it! My thoughts exactly!!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #34
Guru

City: Boston Area
Thanks. The list of materials at the beginning said "silicone/marine sealant"

I also noticed that he already had a wire running down the transom, so why not just add this one to that.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
UW lights might be interesting and attractive in a boat that spends its time in clear water but I can't see it for Puget Sound. We have very murky water. There is just so much organic matter in the water that we have very poor visibility. Lights under the water would likely end up looking like a green glow regardless of the color.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #36
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Until your grandchildren grow up.....
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #37
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Until your grandchildren grow up.....
I must confess you have a point there.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #38
Guru

I believe the light had a tapered rubber fitting on it so when screwed in, it plugged the hole where the wire went through.

So just a smear of someting should have made it watertight.

Not probably the best for big boats, but for 6 inches underwater on a trailerable boat???
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #39
Guru

We have a pair of nicely installed underwater lights on our tug. They are multi colored and we love them. At least I do...
Left them on tonight when we went out to meet friends and came back to this...
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1836.jpg   IMG_1839.jpg   IMG_1840.jpg   IMG_1845.jpg  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #40

City: Pompano Beach, FL
There is an advantage to through hull lights where the light remains inside the boat. Eventually the lights fail. With a light mounted inside the boat you can replace the lamp without having to haul the boat. This was a huge deal in the days of filament lamps, but not quite as big a concern with LED. But potted LED's still go bad.

I'm replacing several unneeded transducers and through hulls with underwater lights. Faster to cut a bigger hole and install a Lloyds of London approved light than patch the hole. I have zero concerns that a glass lens intended for use on high speed battle wagons and yachts is going to ever receive enough of an impact at 8 mph to break.
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote