Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here. The marina where I (will) keep the boat only offers 30 amp receptacles. So how can I upgrade?

You can still use a 30 amp dock receptacle or 2 and "Y" them into your 50...you will still only draw 60 amps (or only 30 if using one leg) instaed od 100 (2x50) with a 50 cord...the nice thing is you CAN draw all that power when it IS available without worrying about loads.

Weekenders big deal but liveaboards all year get tired quickly of shedding loads..

FF why shed when you can just upgrade and have it available so you don't have to shed...especially when the installed noisemaker can supply it all too!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #22

i have a 50 amp240 splitter that goes from 240 to 2 50 amp 110s for sale if any body is intrested. i also have a 50amp 240 plug that comes out to 30 amps 110 it is a single plug, you plug it in to 240 but get 110 out of it,and a bunch oe other adapters
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #23

Upgrading the dock service is always easy. If there is but 120 volt service there than replacing the breaker with a 50 amp breaker will permit a highter load, if you can find a way to split the load, but not as good as a 220volt dock service and than the larger breaker and a 50 amp to 30 amp Y would permit normal loads on the 120, 30 amp cables.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here. The marina where I (will) keep the boat only offers 30 amp receptacles. So how can I upgrade?
In your original post, you state:

Quote:
I figure that in a marina I will most likely find either one 30-amp receptacle or one 50-amp receptacle.
If you want an answer you can use, you have you ask the right question. Otherwise you will get wrong answers or off topic answers. So -

Are you looking for a solution for a specific marina or a solution for transient marinas where you may stay for a day, week, etc.?

Answer that, and you're more likely to get advice that you can use.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Hey John,

Be careful if you plug both cords into one 30 amp outlet, the aft air conditioner draws a lot of juice on start up, which is why I had a dedicated cord set up for it alone. If you are going to run that aft ac, it really should have its own dedicated 30 amp outlet, or 1/2 of a 50 amp.

The boat is currently plugged in to a single 50 amp that is split into the 2 30's. I left you the 50 to 2 30's splitter,

My guess is that St. Marks will have 2 30 amp outlets available for you.

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Thanks, Doug. That is good to know, and thanks for leaving the 50-to-30 adapter on there. If St. Marks does not have two outlets I will see if I can pay to have another one put in, since I plan to be there a long time.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote