TV antenna question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No idea, but in my experience any antenna must include a signal amplifier .

They don't eat much juice , but its still best to turn it off when the TV goes off.

I have the 19” version. It does the job. You will still get some pixelated screens swinging on the hook.
It has an amplifier that needs 12 Vdc on the tv end of the cable.
My advice is to buy the largest diameter that you can fit.

Last edited:
We originally had a Glomex 10", decent reception. Upgraded to a 14" Glomex Nashira, slight improvement.

Since bigger is often better, in the world of antennas, I would have gone to a Shakespeare 19" BUT... the Glomex mounting system made one-for-one replacement easier, and an existing obstruction would have caused moving the TV antenna to a different location. Way too much work, for TV, for us.

FWIW, OTA TV reception is very much a function of receiver (your) location versus the transmitter location. In most cases, if you're in range at all, you'll get direct (no blockage) signals no matter the antenna, and then reception of diffracted signals will vary but only a little. You can use sites like TV Fool, and the FCC site, to see what's being broadcast where relative to where you are.

TV Fool

-Chris

TV Antenna

I totally agree. We are in a slip in Dana Point, Ca., with a nearly large hill separating us from line of sight of the antennas in Los Angeles. In our slip we get all of San Diego and Mexico. Once we motor to Newport Beach or Catalina, we get all of the LA stations LAC. We have a 10 inch version now and sounds like there will be little impovment with the 14 inch. Location matters. Thanks.

The website to use is antennaweb.org. It tells all stations, operating frequency, and the direction from your location.

Tom

Once we motor to Newport Beach or Catalina, we get all of the LA stations LAC. We have a 10 inch version now and sounds like there will be little impovment with the 14 inch. .
Thanks! I've been wondering about that.:blush:

Note: Two guys on my dock have Glomax (I don't know the model #) and the reception is fantastic!

Last edited:
Our slip is in San Diego and with one of those cheapie on the window antennas we get all the Mexican stations and only three American stations, depending on conditions. Just like Dstancil, it worked great on Catalina, but not so great in our home slip. We once had cable, so the boat has coax cable to both TV locations. The Sicilian is going to the YC on Thursday and will take a gander at the Shakespeare SeaWatch 3015 set-up on a friend's boat and report back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom